Recommendation for a new workstation computer

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm planing to buy a workstation for my home studio since my 2015 MBP can't handle all of my projects. I'll be using the apple laptop for my gigs though, it is more then enough for performing but just not enough for producing.

I'm an Apple user for around 15 years now but I just don't like new Apple products that much, they don't deserve those prices anymore in my opinion. Besides I still think that they are more stable then Windows systems - I'm not sure about that though since softwares do crash on OSX either -. So first of all, I need to choose the platform here - I'm aware of how old and boring this debate is -. I work on Ableton Live, would my projects work on both platforms with Kontakt libraries and VSTs. I used AU plugins on past, I've read it is somehow more optimized then AU format, does this create a recognizable difference? If not, would you recommend a prebuilt system or customized one?

Besides the Windows part, if I go with Mac, not which but when would be the right time to get an iMac, it wasn't upgraded for a while. And there are rumors of a new Mac Mini. Lastly, do you think that a Mac Pro is an overkill? It is above my price range but can afford it if that will be a long lasting system.

Shortly, I'm not after a detailed information but just some guideposts here. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Üstün

Have a go at building a PC plenty of YouTube videos and forums to help you out you could use the intel 12 core i9 or 16core AMD with 32GB RAM and it will still be way cheaper than the Apple alternatives. To be fair though Apple Mac Pros have PCIe based SSD drives for their entire storage space which would still cost a crazy amount for a PC build. Apple wacked the price right up by putting a single server CPU in it which is dumb for performance per dollar. The current Mac Pro looks way behind the PC self builds right now due to the new CPUS that came out in the last 12 months.

Well I just picked an iMac Pro to replace my 2010 iMac i5. Price wise for what it is its not too different to similarly (identical is impossible) spec’d windows machines.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”