Logic Pro v10.4 is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

jonljacobi wrote:"Does the wrapper not rely on the ability to execute 32-bit code?"

You're asking the wrong people. All I can tell you for sure is that it works now.

https://soundradix.freshdesk.com/suppor ... 5000168330

You can created a support ticket I believe. I'd love to know the answer to this as well. And it's not a "wrapper" as I said, but a "translation component".
What is a translation component? If it's making a new component out of 32-bit code, something is executing 32-bit code in that process. When Mac OS removes support for 32-bit binary code (yes, that includes shared libraries, which is what a plugin is), this will probably stop working.

Let us know if you get a reply to your support ticket.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Does the wrapper not rely on the ability to execute 32-bit code?

Big fan of 32 lives. Some incorrect things have been stated in this thread about it. 32lives does wrap the plugin but the plugin is not entirely self contained. At runtime when you use a wrapped plugin, 32lives launches a 32 bit process outside of logic to actually run the code in 32 bit. You will see an icon show up in the menubar whenever that happens.

I do not know what will happen when apple stops supporting 32bit apps anymore. Might be problematic for 32bit plugins but we shall see.

For now 32lives does work great in logic and I think worth the money if you have something you just can’t live without. For me it was vb3 and b4II
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote:

Does the wrapper not rely on the ability to execute 32-bit code?

Big fan of 32 lives. Some incorrect things have been stated in this thread about it. 32lives does wrap the plugin but the plugin is not entirely self contained. At runtime when you use a wrapped plugin, 32lives launches a 32 bit process outside of logic to actually run the code in 32 bit. You will see an icon show up in the menubar whenever that happens.
The thing is that all that uses additional CPU cycles. The thought of people optimizing the cr** out of their studio computer, and then wasting CPU cycles that way, because they rely on those old 32-bit plugins which "can't be replaced with anything else" is quite funny. :P

Its really not using any substantial additional amount of CPU cycles, you'd be splitting hairs over it. The code has to run somewhere, it can run inside the Logic process or run inside the other process. Your system at any given time has many processes running and doing things. 32lives actually works quite fine and I don't see any drain on the CPU from that.

and yes there are a few things that are still only in 32bit, we all have our reasons. I personally like VB3 and I have old projects that are based on B4II. I also use Harmor, which is still only alpha32bit on mac, but it works. Also imposcar1 which I refused to pay the overly expensive upgrade cost to Imposcar2 just to get 64bit. So we have our reasons.

What I can say is that 32lives works great, and no it does not really drain the cpu more then it would by running directly in Logic.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Alright. I thought it would take some, but, when you hardly notice it, that's fine of course. :) Good to see that 32 Lives works well. I had GUI related issues with host internal wrappers, or using jBridge, with the plugins i tested.

Here's another interestng take on the tempo editing feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwovKZqA1Lg&app=desktop
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”