Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

killmaster wrote:Thank you FET! All working and template made. Much appreciated!!! Thanks for the Transformer image too.
You're welcome. Post back if you run into any trouble!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
killmaster wrote:Thank you FET! All working and template made. Much appreciated!!! Thanks for the Transformer image too.
Thanks! Only issue I have right now is Track Control Settings crashing Cubase (9.0.3). But the MPE setup is working great!

I did think of another question. Do I need to check the "CC 74 (Brightness)" box in the Note Expression tab?
Also, shouldn't "MIDI as NoteExp" be checked as well if I want to record the expression data?

thanks again!

Greg K.

killmaster wrote:
I did think of another question. Do I need to check the "CC 74 (Brightness)" box in the Note Expression tab?
Also, shouldn't "MIDI as NoteExp" be checked as well if I want to record the expression data?

thanks again!

Greg K.
In the case of Repro-5, which doesn't respond to CC74 in a polyphonic way, no you don't need to check the CC74 box. We're converting CC74 to Breath anyway with the input transformer to make the Slide motion work with the U-he synths.

In regards to MIDI as Note Expression, yes, you must check that box. Sorry.

Thanks Funkybot's Evil Twin!

What's the difference between Aftertouch and Poly Pressure?

Aftertouch (a.k.a channel aftertouch or channel pressure) is monophonic (applies to all sounding voices equally), Poly Pressure (a.k.a. polyphonic aftertouch) is polyphonic.

EvilDragon wrote:Aftertouch (a.k.a channel aftertouch or channel pressure) is monophonic (applies to all sounding voices equally), Poly Pressure (a.k.a. polyphonic aftertouch) is polyphonic.
Thank you! In terms of MPE, if its using channel rotation, it seems like channel pressure (Aftertouch in Cubase) would really have the exact same outcome as Poly Pressure because its sending a different set of values for each note on separate channels and gets recorded that way in Cubase if you are recording note expressions? Or am I confused?

Possibly, not sure how Cubase handles note expressions as I don't use it. :D

The Seaboard RISE can be configured to accommodate various scenarios. So, you can run it in the original (non-MPE) mode (or 'MPE-off' mode) in the ROLI Dashboard, and here you can choose whether you want poly-pressure or channel-pressure. So you can match the RISE to your software plugin.

Then, in the MPE mode, this option disappears as by default, MPE is configured with channel-pressure (traditional monophonic-aftetrtouch on individual midi channels).

When talking about aftertouch (whether poly or mono) it's important to remember that the Seaboards have what's called 'continuous pressure'. This is very different to how 'aftertouch' works and allows for very smooth, continuous expression via pressure. This is especially great for sounds like woodwinds, bowed strings, brass....etc.
However, if this is not desired, and you'd want to have the traditional aftertouch response in your patch, then at least in Equator, it is easily possible to get the aftertouch response by creating a deep exponential expression curve in the PRESS modulation source.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

killmaster wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Aftertouch (a.k.a channel aftertouch or channel pressure) is monophonic (applies to all sounding voices equally), Poly Pressure (a.k.a. polyphonic aftertouch) is polyphonic.
Thank you! In terms of MPE, if its using channel rotation, it seems like channel pressure (Aftertouch in Cubase) would really have the exact same outcome as Poly Pressure because its sending a different set of values for each note on separate channels and gets recorded that way in Cubase if you are recording note expressions? Or am I confused?
Yeah you are right. This is also the reason that configuring certain instruments in Logic Pro to work with MPE controllers involves selecting a counter-intuitive option name - you set it to use MIDI Mono Mode. Where mono actually means one voice per midi channel.

himalaya wrote:The Seaboard RISE can be configured to accommodate various scenarios. So, you can run it in the original (non-MPE) mode (or 'MPE-off' mode) in the ROLI Dashboard, and here you can choose whether you want poly-pressure or channel-pressure. So you can match the RISE to your software plugin.

Then, in the MPE mode, this option disappears as by default, MPE is configured with channel-pressure (traditional monophonic-aftetrtouch on individual midi channels).

When talking about aftertouch (whether poly or mono) it's important to remember that the Seaboards have what's called 'continuous pressure'. This is very different to how 'aftertouch' works and allows for very smooth, continuous expression via pressure. This is especially great for sounds like woodwinds, bowed strings, brass....etc.
However, if this is not desired, and you'd want to have the traditional aftertouch response in your patch, then at least in Equator, it is easily possible to get the aftertouch response by creating a deep exponential expression curve in the PRESS modulation source.
Thanks for this information @himalaya!! good things to know...

Robin Vincent does a pretty comprehensive review of the Seaboard Block here. Covers a lot of the questions people would have about how this whole Seaboard MPE thing works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKqHb5WoVoI
Image Image Image Image

Crikey! Who's got 1hr 21min to watch a bloody product review!?!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

actually it was alot more thought provoking than I expected. But I had to give it several goes to get though it.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”