Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!

Regrets?
f**k that.
I spent the money. I learnt.

And as Sid might say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPz6iPkLz2I

Resp. HIVE: I nearly always set it into DIRTY mode. This brings up more character at least for my taste.

Kaivo. Bought because I loved Aalto, and "granulator + PM" seemed to promise enormous flexibility. Absolutely nothing to do with its objective merits- it does what it was designed to do- but for me, it gets very CPU hungry, and I couldn't get much out of it sound-design-wise that would sit well in a mix and didn't scream "Made with Kaivo!"

I should probably take some more time with it, but honestly, the last time I opened it up, it felt more like work than play; in retrospect, I had Chromophone in the back of my mind when anticipating the PM side of Kaivo, instead of the almost old-Reaktor-like metalli-glassy sounds Kaivo seems to tend towards.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

chk071 wrote:I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!
Whoa. Is that actually a possibility?

To be fair, Hive is impressive and underrated, no doubt. But i'm trying to focus on one synth and learn it inside and out and it's up against Zebra. Still figuring out that outcome, but it's really down to those two synths. To it's credit, though, i much prefer its limited architecture (coming from a few years of using mostly hardware). And for some reason bass sounds in Hive gel faster with electric guitars than any other soft-synth i've used.

voidhead23 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!
Whoa. Is that actually a possibility?
It sounds like it:
Urs wrote: As for future feature updates I think we're committed to a dramatic increase in waveforms, along with a wavetable based synthesis method. This might be related to my current efforts in redesigning the Zebra oscillator.

We'll see... for now I'm just glad that we see light at the end of the tunnel with the Repro update, followed by Zebra 2.8, maybe even this year.

masterhiggins wrote:
Lets dance wrote:xpand!2
1$
i regret
I got it for free and I regret it. Lol.
Me too!

don’t usually regret purchases, money needs to move to be happy, but this one....

Geist.

I meant to buy a drum synth by the same company but got the names mixed up.
I couldn’t figure out what the thing was for. I’m too old to and decrepit to learn new tricks.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:don’t usually regret purchases, money needs to move to be happy, but this one....

Geist.

I meant to buy a drum synth by the same company but got the names mixed up.
I couldn’t figure out what the thing was for. I’m too old to and decrepit to learn new tricks.
Two weeks ago I picked up GEIST 2 due to GAS and a discount at JRR. Seems that will go onto my regret list :dog:

Each to their own but I picked up Geist 2 and absolutely love it - bit of a learning curve but I've found it great for using samples from unfinished tunes and chopping, filtering, stretching, etc into new forms.

Regrets for me would be:

Wiggle - great idea and liked the demo enough to buy it but after purchase realised it had a ton of aliasing on more complex patches, filters were pretty poor (and no key follow) and most of the updates added more (mostly trance) presets but didn't improve functionality.

Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.

Obscurium - nothing against the actual design of the instrument but the native synth sounds are rather lacking, I'm not particularly interested in the generative side, and I've found sequencing something I'm happy with in it a rather tiresome process.

I'm sorry I bought xxxxxxxxxxx.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

martinjuenke wrote:Two weeks ago I picked up GEIST 2 due to GAS and a discount at JRR. Seems that will go onto my regret list :dog:
If you want a plain old drum machine, it's got a lot more than that, so I can understand the person who just wants drum pads. They're looking for something like Poise or Battery. But Geist 2 is amazingly deep. My current favorite use is for stochastic polyrhythms via Euclidean beats (drag the right end of the pad lane to the left to shorten it). The only other sequencer that comes close is Liquid Rhythm (but the drum machine part is lacking; it's meant to be a generative sequencer), and Thesys (but that is purely a sequencer). I had to read the manual to grok the deeper parts, but it's worth it.

shonky wrote:Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.
The lack of swing is a huge glaring omission given how interesting and deep the rest of it is. I don't regret it, because the sample library is one of the best electronic drum factory libraries around, and I still occasionally use it for cool glitch effects. I end up bouncing interesting microedits then throwing it into Battery or Geist, though, because of that CPU issue. It's awesome that there's a wavetable synthesis engine in there, but the CPU usage goes through the roof.

yellowmix wrote:
shonky wrote:Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.
The lack of swing is a huge glaring omission given how interesting and deep the rest of it is. I don't regret it, because the sample library is one of the best electronic drum factory libraries around, and I still occasionally use it for cool glitch effects. I end up bouncing interesting microedits then throwing it into Battery or Geist, though, because of that CPU issue. It's awesome that there's a wavetable synthesis engine in there, but the CPU usage goes through the roof.
About Breaktweaker yes, the same here, bought it once but almost never use because this. CPU usage enormous (especially on long release), as for drum module at least.

martinjuenke wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
Lets dance wrote:xpand!2
1$
i regret
I got it for free and I regret it. Lol.
Me too!
Why?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”