IK Multimedia Black 76 – free with Computer Music issue 254 (April 2018)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reefius wrote:For me this is just a dirty marketing trick. They want people to try out all the other plugins (in demo mode) so they might actually like and then buy some of them.

I never liked IK Multimedia because they're contantly spamming this forum (look at the mobile apps subforum, there are at least 2 or 3 IK threads on each page) and this is just another reason for me to not trust this company.

Free or not, I don't want it.

Yeah no other company ever gives something free to sell other products :lol: :help: :dog:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Wow, so much hate again for a company giving out stuff for free. :) (And someone even registered just for it, hah.)

Is there really no way to install the plugin without installing the other plugins though? Would like to check it out, but, i don't want a plugin folder filled with stuff i won't use either.

That's how TRacks works. The idea is that you can demo and then unlock plugins by buying them via the Custom Shop or elsewhere.

You can delete the ones you don't want, but they'll get put back whenever you install an update.
Image Image Image Image

Ok... well, i really hate stuff like that too, so, i think i'll rather pass on this. Good offer for those who don't mind nonetheless though.

You guys are incredible. Is it a huge marketing ploy? Of course. Is IK’s licensing system sales oriented and at times cumbersome, especially for the uninitiated? Hell yeah. BUT, IK makes many excellent plugins, and the 1176 is definitely one of them! It is a GREAT compressor, and if you are not getting really good results from it, then this type of compressor is just not your cup of tea, or you are using it incorrectly.

LAGinz wrote:You guys are incredible. Is it a huge marketing ploy? Of course.
Exactly. ANY other CM plugin offer is the same.

an-electric-heart wrote:
ZargonTheMagnificent wrote:Bought magazine.

Then you have to register with 'file solo' for your link.

I had to send 4 emails to IK before I was sent a code.

Then you have to download and install the IK registration app.

Then you have to download and install 1 gig of stuff you mostly can't use.

Now your plugin folder is full of unlicensed, unusable IK plugins.

Tried the plugin, thought 'meh'.

Unstalled.

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere....

:D
I already own tons of IK stuff... a lot of people do. If you're used to they're system and already have their activation software installed on your computer this really isn't a big deal.
It's still obnoxious, familiar or not.

sprnva wrote:That's how TRacks works. The idea is that you can demo and then unlock plugins by buying them via the Custom Shop or elsewhere.

You can delete the ones you don't want, but they'll get put back whenever you install an update.
It's annoying. The majority of devs out there don't do it this way and they seem to get along just fine. :shrug:

chk071 wrote:
LAGinz wrote:You guys are incredible. Is it a huge marketing ploy? Of course.
Exactly. ANY other CM plugin offer is the same.
I can recall a few that did not come attached to such a bloated & cumbersome marketing ploy
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

ATS wrote:Yeah no other company ever gives something free to sell other products :lol: :help: :dog:
My point is that even if you buy only one of the plugins you are forced to install them all.

I agree with those who think that this was a bridge too far with bloat, since for interest I was able to prune it down to the 2 VSTs (VST2 and VST3) in the VST folder and the Program Files\IK Multimedia folder (645Mbytes) since you need the T-RackS 5.pak and of course you still need the activation manager to activate it.

For a freebie I could have lived with the activation manager and the occasional nag suggestion to buy/upgrade, but 645MB of bloat on an SSD for a compressor (especially when I already have Lindell 7X-500 which is an 1176 clone) wasn’t very appealing to say the least!

So while I don’t blame IK and Computer Music mag for having a go this is certainly not one of the better magware releases that I have seen and can see why others are less than impressed :P

A shame really because when I saw this coming up in last months CM issue I was looking forward to it since who doesn’t like a free brand name clone :hyper:

Just a gentle reminder. You can remove all the other vsts in about a minute by using the magic “Delete” button:)

LAGinz wrote:Just a gentle reminder. You can remove all the other vsts in about a minute by using the magic “Delete” button:)
And they're all back after an update :)

Reefius wrote:
LAGinz wrote:Just a gentle reminder. You can remove all the other vsts in about a minute by using the magic “Delete” button:)
And they're all back after an update :)

and then it takes another 2 seconds to delete them. In other words, less than the time it took to complain about it :D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ZargonTheMagnificent wrote:Bought magazine.

Then you have to register with 'file solo' for your link.

I had to send 4 emails to IK before I was sent a code.

Then you have to download and install the IK registration app.

Then you have to download and install 1 gig of stuff you mostly can't use.

Now your plugin folder is full of unlicensed, unusable IK plugins.

Tried the plugin, thought 'meh'.

Unstalled.

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere....

:D
Yes, all Computer Music digital content is downloaded via our FileSilo download portal.

The code comes from CM, not IK Multimedia. If you don't receive a code, just email computermusic@futurenet.com and we'll send you your code ASAP.

And the IK installation process is the same for all their instruments and effects, not just for this plugin.
Last edited by Joe CM on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”