Allomerus - Ineffectual

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I loved the toms. They've got a "Nick Mason" sound, and, although they are quite loud, I think they work very well, (certainly on my monitors), and create the required amount of drama. I'll check this out on the HiFi at the weekend.

Actually, I was a little concerned that Paul and yourself may have had a contractual dispute after noting his absence on your recent posted tracks :wink:

Synths and 'tron. Can't go wrong in my book. There's nothing like an atmospheric piece of Prog to brighten my day.

Good work, John :)

sjm wrote:I get what vurt is saying about guitar; on the other hand, simple can also be good. It's normally a good sign when you have a tune that makes people feel inspired and hear their own parts on top of. It means the music is connecting on an emotional level.
i agree, simple or less is more is good :)

i wasn't saying the track "needed" guitar, was just interested why he refrained from adding it. had he not said in the op "no guitar on this one" i probably wouldn't have noticed, just the statement made me think there may have been a deliberate attempt to go non guitar? i dunno :hihi:

seismic1 wrote:I loved the toms. They've got a "Nick Mason" sound, and, although they are quite loud, I think they work very well, (certainly on my monitors), and create the required amount of drama. I'll check this out on the HiFi at the weekend.

Actually, I was a little concerned that Paul and yourself may have had a contractual dispute after noting his absence on your recent posted tracks :wink:

Synths and 'tron. Can't go wrong in my book. There's nothing like an atmospheric piece of Prog to brighten my day.

Good work, John :)
Thanks Tim. I think it depends on the bass capabilities of the listener so I will interested in your thoughts after listening on the WiFi.

Oh, and there is no contractual dispute, just me playing with stuff..

Cheers,
John
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I really enjoyed the synergy of these different elements: the lead drum kit with its excellent cymbal recordings in particular, the electronic growl synth, the element of space and tension within the track, the video montage which chimed well with the recording, the higher piano notes which added interest/energy to the track in the second verse, the break out moment when the tension is released around 4.30, and the fade back into tension and unsettledness.
Wonderful atmospheric stuff!

Allomerus wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote:
Allomerus wrote:Allomerus - Ineffectual

John Wegner: Synths (No guitar on this :o )
Paul Wegner: Drums & Percussion

Thanks to those who listen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSw0stYxNtc
I love the intro! Only thing I would add is some more low frequencies. Be it a 808 for some ryhtmical structure or a very dark, almost sinusoid pad...I have listened again - probably there's just some clash/chords played in the low frequencies. May be cleaning that up would already help?
And I feel like this track needs some epic hugh cinematic drums and horn swells and....Could that be an option for replacing the acoustic drum kit? Does this make sense to you? As allways, I just type what comes to my mind, don't take it as "must" ;-)
Thanks for your thoughts Peter. I'll have another careful listen. I won't be replacing the real drums, I don't think Paul would like that. ;) Also I like the idea that real drums and synths are together. :)
Sure, all good, I love the track and I enjoyed watching the video again. And as I mentione already, I just type ahead what comes to my mind...but...but...have you ever thought about drum triggers (or how are those devices called wich have several pads that are played with drum sticks by real drummers but trigger midi-sounds?) and add some let's say big bad taiko ;-) I mean that would probably be the perfect symbiosis of epicness, real drums and handcrafted music...

I just played it again, but on the bigger system. The toms are quite prominent on here, but I'm quite used to them now. I wouldn't lower them, but bring up the bass synth and cymbals by 2-3 dB during those parts.

dark water wrote:I really enjoyed the synergy of these different elements: the lead drum kit with its excellent cymbal recordings in particular, the electronic growl synth, the element of space and tension within the track, the video montage which chimed well with the recording, the higher piano notes which added interest/energy to the track in the second verse, the break out moment when the tension is released around 4.30, and the fade back into tension and unsettledness.
Wonderful atmospheric stuff!
Thank you! Really appreciate your lovely feedback. All the best! :)
Bandcamp

Yes, I can hear the Floyd influence. The drums are loud but work well to fill it in. This is sort of, or could be live I guess so hearing it in that context would be cool.

seismic1 wrote:I just played it again, but on the bigger system. The toms are quite prominent on here, but I'm quite used to them now. I wouldn't lower them, but bring up the bass synth and cymbals by 2-3 dB during those parts.
Thanks Tim. I'll certainly look into it before the next album is released... :)
Bandcamp

fastlanephil wrote:Yes, I can hear the Floyd influence. The drums are loud but work well to fill it in. This is sort of, or could be live I guess so hearing it in that context would be cool.
Thanks Phil. We probably could do a live version of thus track. Usually there are too many parts... Thanks for listening and commenting. :)
Bandcamp

Definitely different from the last few Allomerus tracks I've listened to...apart from the lack of guitar, it's also quite sparse and restrained throughout.

I think it works very well and fits the video's atmosphere and movement...nice contrast between the drum kit and the various synths + there's plenty of textural variation as the piece develops.

Thanks Mark. I didn't want all our tracks to be too busy. Can't resist changing things ... :)
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”