One Synth Challenge #109: Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

TheNeverScene wrote:
TheNeverScene wrote:Thanks Scrubbing Monkeys, it does. More work than I hoped, but it is what it is. Maybe a cut and dry global key map would be a nice addition in the future. Or a per oscillator "turn on keymapping" that has it's own built in parameters.
After setting this up, it's actually pretty cut and dry :) Just seemed a bit off the beaten path at first.

:tu:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

The songs sound really amazing so far!
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for Fathom, Everett! My brain just hurts atm . Too....many....options :) and you're a hard working developer....gotta agree with progtronic on the mono legato, domo arigato feature request, though :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Hey, anyone else not hearing back from BJ about a code?
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

doctorbob wrote:
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:
doctorbob wrote:Sorry to be a dimwit - late at night ...

Where is the "famous Peter H drumkit" ???
dB
The link to Peter H drum kit is on page 7 of this thread about 4 posts down.
Aha found it thanks. One level of re-direction! Neat stuff Peter, but decided to "roll my own" (hear some in next post!) ... much more fun! But still, thanks for sharing, you're all stars!

dB
Thanks for checking it out, I'm completely fine that you're using your own, DoctorBob! No need to worry ;-) I mean this 'drumkit' (please don't call it famous, it does not deserve to be named like that ;-) was just some sort of proof of concept for a way one can use wavetables. Never thought that it's gonna be used, I feel honored and a bit ashamed because it's just a rough sketch and not meticulously optimized...It's the same with the "Thorn" sample and the "Chinese" which use another way of dealing with "larger samples" in a wt synth. My only intention was, that I can inspire some people to do some crazy experiments on their own and have the same fun I had...painting those little highlights on my trees ;-)
By the way if you load the 'drumkit' wavetable and apply a lfo to the wt position and play higher notes, it will give you funny results...so still lot's of fun stuff to explore.
May be I shoul write down how I produced this wts and which tools where involved and why I not use the Gui, but I bet that's probably way to technical...dealing with xml files is not everyones cup of tea ;-)

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:
@Peter H That Chinese crash was awesome. I didnt know you could do that. If you set an envelope to scan at the right speed you actually get a cymbal. The drum kit was cool too.
That's a method I have already used in the previous OSC rounds with Thorn and Zebralette as well. You can find the tracks on my SC.
And I have posted a Sampled Word Program for Fathom elsewhere. It uses the same method.
Just think of a larger sample cut into 16 pieces which are stored into the wt slots.
then you have to play all slots in consecutive order to merge the pieces again. This is what the env is doing.
played at thr right key, one can get a very good reproduction of the original (the right key is some f/f# because this correlates to 2048 samples, i.e. playes all samples of a single slot...maths...sigh). Anyeay, the idea is fun and offers some room for experiments...play samples backwards, use lfos, mix them up completely...probably with delays some sort of granular could be implemented: a fast random lfo which picks a slot and delays keeping these "pseudograins" playing for a while.
have fun!

I'm having some problems trying to work on the same project on my Windows and OS X machines. Looks like Bitwig doesn't recognize the different platform versions (Fathom.dll & Fathom.vst) as the same plugin, so it reports all instances of Fathom as missing. That probably means they have a different plugin id, since this is the only plugin I've had a problem with. Help?

Am entering as well! Last time I did a synth challenge was OSC #16 under my old nick ( XGmode ).
Got a nice idea going already. Good luck everyone.

RPH wrote:Am entering as well! Last time I did a synth challenge was OSC #16 under my old nick ( XGmode ).
Got a nice idea going already. Good luck everyone.
Oh cool, welcome and good luck. :tu:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

ilmai, Hi, sorry you're having the problem of not being able to load Fathom tracks between Windows and Mac.

I can see that would indeed be very frustrating.
Unfortunately I don't think you can do that.
It's the same C++ code, but the builds are completely different in Windows and Mac.
I never imagined someone would need to do that.

The only think I can suggest is you can save your presets on each track from the Windows version and then load them into a new Fathom on the same track in the Mac OSX host. I'm sure that will work since I've tested the presets a lot and they will indeed be the exact same sounds.

Also, I want everyone to know about this one, Scrubbing Monkeys found a bug which causes CPU to go up after the final note decay if any of the bands on the master EQ filter are enabled.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&p=7029801#p7029801

This is now fixed and will be in 2.9.0 coming out in a couple days.

FathomSynth wrote:This is now fixed and will be in 2.9.0 coming out in a couple days.
Just an FYI - I think Aftertouch is broken on macOS. Any chance this could be looked at before 2.9.0 is released?

Details here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p7030036

Yes, for sure.

I'd like to join this month. Looks like a great synth. But my first attempts have been plagued by glitches. I'm on a four year old Macbook Pro using Ableton Live 10. Might be a CPU shortage problem (quad core, 16GB RAM). I've got the audio buffer size set to max, which usually helps this kind of thing. If anybody has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. :(

bluerobot wrote:I'd like to join this month. Looks like a great synth. But my first attempts have been plagued by glitches. I'm on a four year old Macbook Pro using Ableton Live 10. Might be a CPU shortage problem (quad core, 16GB RAM). I've got the audio buffer size set to max, which usually helps this kind of thing. If anybody has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. :(
Hi Bluerobot, it's a pretty cpu hungry synth and it has it's glitches while the developer is hunting them down and making fixes.

There's a bug thread that has a lot of useful info in it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501

Here's my WIP. Been in a pretty mellow mood lately, so sorry if it puts everyone to sleep. Just working on it a little here and there, 1 or 2 sounds at a time. All sounds from scratch.

*deleted WIP*
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”