Gforce Oddity2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oddity2

I have a full version of Bazille (it's great but CPU heavy and I use it for more experimental/abstract sounds). I guess there is no good substitute for ImpOSCar then..

AdamWysokinski wrote:I have a full version of Bazille (it's great but CPU heavy and I use it for more experimental/abstract sounds). I guess there is no good substitute for ImpOSCar then..
Zebra has the same presets and sounds pretty similar but it’s more expensive. You might want to check out ACE.

Dasheesh wrote:
AdamWysokinski wrote:I have a full version of Bazille (it's great but CPU heavy and I use it for more experimental/abstract sounds). I guess there is no good substitute for ImpOSCar then..
Zebra has the same presets and sounds pretty similar
neither of these things are true.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
The initial pad preset of both. Then come back and tell me.

Dasheesh wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
The initial pad preset of both. Then come back and tell me.
One single preset does not prove either of your assertions. The fact that its a default preset makes it laughable.

Extraordinary assertions require extraordinary evidence; Given that Zebra is modular, and that Bazille is fixed architecture, we're in 'extraordinary assertion' territory, so its up to you to prove that every single supplied Zebra preset is 'pretty similar' to every single supplied Bazille preset, and that Bazille can basically reproduce every single sound Zebra can.
Then you come back to me.

Meh, it's the same code wrapped in a different UI. We know Urs is a crook - why would he code two plugins when he can just code one and sell it as two? And ACE is 25% of that. Double - triple! - profit and a full product line. As for the sound, it's just Synth1 with some pimps. Don't believe me? Just ask Layzer! :tu:

mod.killer wrote:Meh, it's the same code wrapped in a different UI. We know Urs is a crook - why would he code two plugins when he can just code one and sell it as two? And ACE is 25% of that. Double - triple! - profit and a full product line. As for the sound, it's just Synth1 with some pimps. Don't believe me? Just ask Layzer! :tu:
Crack or crystal meth?

Wow. Remind me never to say the word U-he again. It brings out the crazies in people.

All I said was they are very similar... which they are. They were made about the same time by the same circle of guys and they have similar architectures... and I have no idea how you got that zebra is an open and free architecture, more so then bazille, you can do anything you want, but it must be done in the context of the modules given. that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Oh yeah, and they do sound a lot alike too. There are obvious differences... but they sound very similar.

Dasheesh wrote: They were made about the same time by the same circle of guys and they have similar architectures.
Which people worked on both?

jsp1979 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: They were made about the same time by the same circle of guys and they have similar architectures.
Which people worked on both?

I don’t know, I read it a long time ago and just made a mental note of it. I don’t know any of those guys, but my guess is all those guys were sharing ideas and working together much like Waldorf and Access did. I think all GForce’s products are farmed out to high quality developers.

According to the Imposcar 1 manual (just looked this up), Jon Hodgson did all of the program coding.

aMUSEd wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:It’s strange the Gforce made the imposcar with a larger size but not the oddity.

Imposcar was made by third parties... that's why it is almost never updated.
So why's Oddity 2 never updated?
They’re not into it. In 2015 asked why aftertouch wasn’t implemented (it is on impOSCar 2) and I got this response:
Thanks for getting in touch. We're not currently working on any functionality additions to Oddity 2. We are always keen to listen to users when the time comes to think about 2.0s etc, and I will certainly make sure that we discuss aftertouch with the dev. That said, it won't be anytime soon.
By “dev,” does he mean they guy down the hall who does the coding or the company that developers the plugin for GForce? Regardless, it sounds fantastic, so I bought it. Maybe the Korg plugin sounds a bit better, but I put Oddity 2 next to the ARP clone filter in my Studio Electronics ATC-X QFS and it was nearly identical. Maybe more like a real Odyssey, as I don’t know if SE made changes to its filter and I believe the ATC’s oscillators are based on a Model D design, not the Odyssey. Also, does the Korg plugin have the GForce’s XMOD system? That alone is a big draw. To me, I care more about great sound and flexibility more than strict emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Dasheesh wrote:Wow. Remind me never to say the word U-he again. It brings out the crazies in people.

All I said was they are very similar...
bzzzzt. You said
They were made about the same time
Bzzzt.

Bazille : 2014
Zebra V2 : 2006
and they have similar architectures...
Bzzzt.

Bazille : fixed-module architecture
Zebra : no fixed architecture
and I have no idea how you got that zebra is an open and free architecture
Bzzzzt, strawman. I didnt 'get' that in the first place. I said it was a modular architecture. And Bazille is a fixed architecture.
Architecture isnt signal or control path, by the way, in case you decide to go down that silly.

While i'm sure that all u-he plugins share a lot of code (that's normal, and valid for any company), the last time i checked out Zebra CM, i thought it sounded quite different to the analog emus which came after it. Zebra is rather a "standard" VA synth, if you will, meant to not burn your CPU for Easter.

Return to “Instruments”