FALCON or HALION 6 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon HALion 7

Actually no, you can use the MPE script in Falcon within a single instrument. You don't need to copy the instrument x times across x MIDI channels.

EvilDragon wrote:Actually no, you can use the MPE script in Falcon within a single instrument. You don't need to copy the instrument x times across x MIDI channels.
If you're replying to me, the workaround is for Halion not Falcon. I've edited the post.

Yeah. Sorry. :)

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah. Sorry. :)
No probs.

Falcon has many more libraries available, including third-party, but both are good.

Sampleconstruct wrote:And Falcon also has the physical modelling oscillator (pluck synth).
Simon: this may be of interest to those like myself that have (1) but not the other -

Are there some sounds that you've done that can *only* be accomplished by one platform, but not the other? The idea being to perhaps show in audio form what you glean as the focus (strength(s) of each platform - I recognize that the comparison might be seen as more anecdotal then hard evidence; but since you program for both, it's probably a safe bet that you're aware of intrinsic differences that an average user like myself may not see, w/o spending real time with both.

My apologies in advance if that's too much to ask, Simon.

-GA

goldenanalog wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:And Falcon also has the physical modelling oscillator (pluck synth).
Simon: this may be of interest to those like myself that have (1) but not the other -

Are there some sounds that you've done that can *only* be accomplished by one platform, but not the other? The idea being to perhaps show in audio form what you glean as the focus (strength(s) of each platform - I recognize that the comparison might be seen as more anecdotal then hard evidence; but since you program for both, it's probably a safe bet that you're aware of intrinsic differences that an average user like myself may not see, w/o spending real time with both.

My apologies in advance if that's too much to ask, Simon.

-GA
As Halion doesn't have a tune-able combfilter (via key follow), nor FM, nor physical modelling, nor a waveshaper on oscillator level (actually no decent wave-shaper at all), nor decent vocal/vowel filters (Halion only has the resonator module in the FX section introduced in H6), there certainly are sounds which can be accomplished in Falcon but not in Halion. And also Falcon has a much wider variety of filters. On the other hand the synth module in Halion is more capable than any of the (virtual analog) synth oscillators in Falcon (analog/analog stack oscillators).

Falcon has the drum/percussion oscillator for producing electronic percussive sounds, Halion doesn't have anything like that. The IRCAM Stretch oscillator in Falcon is far superior to the time-stretch oscillator in Halion, especially since UVI introduced the mix function which separates sine/noise/transient components of a given sample.

yeah the drummodule in falcon is a full blown 'microtonic ( sonic charge ) drum part
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

This thread is interesting to me as I do like both platforms very much. Personally I have been using Halion as a platform for my own sound design for years so much so that I decided recently to start a new Synth/Sample library company and have chosen to develop for the Halion platform.

There was a post earlier in this thread how they were using the Halion Demo and found it quite complicated. I agree that it can get very complicated and that is the reason I started to develop my own front end engine for Halion. Now that it has been developed I am about to launch the company and release the first 2 products that are synth based only one being POLY that is based on the analog modeling and one called WAVE that is based on the Wavetable synthesis. Both are incredibly capable and priced extremely low. $34.99 each or bundled together for $49.99. They work in the FREE Halion Sonic SE player so you do not have to own Halion and they do not require an e-licenser dongle.

The exact launch date is still TBD but should be out somewhere around the second week of MAY. Feel free to check out the unadvertised website that is under construction at the moment. Still waiting to get more quotes, reviews, etc... No sales yet but you can get lots of info or leave us your info and we will let you know when it is officially released. The site is http://www.samplefuel.com
Last edited by samplefuel on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

As this was my first post not sure if the website link works yet via the previous post. The website is just the SAMPLE FUEL as one word .com

The link works, but shows an empty white page on my iPad...

gentleclockdivider wrote:yeah the drummodule in falcon is a full blown 'microtonic ( sonic charge ) drum part
You mean actually ported from Microtonic or just similar?

Similar.

Question: Can anyone speak to their experience of editing samples and using them to create wavetables in Falcon vs. Halion 6?

I've been working with a demo of Halion 6, and I like the ease of importing samples, editing them, and lining them up as a sequence in a wavetable to create an evolving atmosphere. I get the sense that this is more difficult to do in Falcon because you have to be very specific about how many cycles are allowed for any imported sample, and that this may affect how many samples you can line up for a wavetable sequence. Plus, I'm not clear about Falcon's sample-editing capabilities. Thanks for any help with this.

Brother Greg wrote:Question: Can anyone speak to their experience of editing samples and using them to create wavetables in Falcon vs. Halion 6?

I've been working with a demo of Halion 6, and I like the ease of importing samples, editing them, and lining them up as a sequence in a wavetable to create an evolving atmosphere. I get the sense that this is more difficult to do in Falcon because you have to be very specific about how many cycles are allowed for any imported sample, and that this may affect how many samples you can line up for a wavetable sequence. Plus, I'm not clear about Falcon's sample-editing capabilities. Thanks for any help with this.
If you drop a sample into Falcon's wavetable player it will only extract a single cycle waveform from the beginning of the sample, it will not create a wavetable, but you can use images to create wavetables which is a nice feature. Falcon does not have a wavetable editor nor does it have a re-synthesis function so you will have to use something like Serum or Waveedit to create wavetables which you can then import into Falcon. Falcon has various phase distortion modes to warp/morph the sound of a wavetable, HALion doesn't have that, it only has a formant parameter.

HALion has a very good re-synthesis algorithm which will let you create wavetables from samples via drag and drop, you can also combine several samples into one wavetable, determine from which segment of a given sample a waveform will be extracted and it has a very capable waveform editor in which you manipulate the partials and phases of each waveform of a wavetable. Or you can simply draw waveforms and combine them to make a wavetable.

Return to “Instruments”