Now I Understand Why People Hate iLok

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
That is the reality. Sometimes iLok is your only choice or you do without the software.
If you follow my instructions, hopefully you'll be able to solve your problems, and you will not need to give up on anything.
Understood. I was just responding to the comment that there are alternatives.

Sometimes, there are not.

:arrow: So the TL;DR version is actually:
This is not an iLok issue, but probably a Windows 10 issue, messing with the drivers after the OS update. Looks like Microsoft copied "the best" from OSX after all... *cough*

Took me way too long to find out we're not talking about Windows 7/8 - since no info was given which OS or iLok Manager/Drivers we talked about. But just to take the wind out of the usual-usual "USB key solutions are sh#t which is why I'm not using them - LULz" sails... :roll:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

AFAIC, it's still pretty unclear what exactly the issue is here.

tatanka wrote:Wag: you may try the following, it helps me (win 7 64 bit) even if it is still more then Annoying. Nearly evrytime after a windows update the pace driver is disabled, I dont know why, did not find any solution to stop this, but it is relatively easy to solve:

- look for your "services" in the system settings
- there should be something like "pace driver"
- this one should be running, if not just click on "start service", then it should be running

Hope that helps.

As I said, in general I think this is an imposition, but I have learned to live with it.....
This is the answer. It happens to me occasionally, and it’s very annoying. I can never remember the name of the service, but yes, all you have to do is restart it and everything will work again.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Compyfox wrote::arrow: So the TL;DR version is actually:
This is not an iLok issue, but probably a Windows 10 issue, messing with the drivers after the OS update. Looks like Microsoft copied "the best" from OSX after all... *cough*

Took me way too long to find out we're not talking about Windows 7/8 - since no info was given which OS or iLok Manager/Drivers we talked about. But just to take the wind out of the usual-usual "USB key solutions are sh#t which is why I'm not using them - LULz" sails... :roll:
Actually, to answer your question, I am on Windows 7 64 bit and have been for almost 5 years now with very few problems.

Cubase 7 has been buggy at times from day one of installing it. I get VSTs lock ups on my Axion Keyboard because Cubase doesn't know how to handle more than one plugin at a time without going ape shit. I'm not sorry I got it because I find it very intuitive and very easy to use and the workflow allows me to finish things lightning fast. But I'm good for at least one restart every day. That's just the way it is.

The internal bridge for 32 bit plugins has never worked right and JBridge isn't much better. So I have abandoned almost all 32 bit plugs. And since I need 64 bit plugs for almost every track I do, there is no point installing the 32 bit Cubase version. So I do without. In the grand scheme of things, I don't really care.

Other than that, the occasional software center non startup is all I go through as far as my system goes. For the most part, 5 years running, it's been pretty stable.

Again, my ONLY point of this whole thread was that I get why people dislike iLok. It CAN be annoying. I will no longer judge people who say they won't use it. I get it. If they can do without it, power to them. I can't. I need these plugs. Do I wish they didn't use iLok? Absolutely. But they do and so I deal with it.

Hope that's all clear now.

andrew71 wrote:
tatanka wrote:Wag: you may try the following, it helps me (win 7 64 bit) even if it is still more then Annoying. Nearly evrytime after a windows update the pace driver is disabled, I dont know why, did not find any solution to stop this, but it is relatively easy to solve:

- look for your "services" in the system settings
- there should be something like "pace driver"
- this one should be running, if not just click on "start service", then it should be running

Hope that helps.

As I said, in general I think this is an imposition, but I have learned to live with it.....
I think that I have had a similar problem in the past with the PACE driver. I believe that I changed the startup type on the service to "Automatic (Delayed)" and haven't had any problems since. It is likely that the iLok/PACE service relies on something else which is taking longer than normal to start.
The only real problems i had with iLok in the last 4 years were exactly solved this way by re-starting the Pace process in Windows services.

FWIW i am using my licenses on an iLok 2 key, even those for which a soft iLok is available too. At the same time i also use an eLicenser dongle and a standard USB flash drive with my Waves licenses.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

step 1: create something with ilok in title even if the problem is unrelated
step 2: give me my 5 minutes of fame 8)

Magnut wrote:step 1: create something with ilok in title even if the problem is unrelated
If the iLok service stops running, I don't see how that's not iLok related.

wagtunes wrote:
Magnut wrote:step 1: create something with ilok in title even if the problem is unrelated
If the iLok service stops running, I don't see how that's not iLok related.
Bad bad PACE told it to not run anymore. How can they :lol: :lol: :lol: You know once you intalled the software it has only limited control over your system? Just saying... ...your title implies something different. Didn't want to drop something like "typical wagtunes thread" :ud:

I once opened the iLok software license manager to add a new plugin and it told me an update to the manager was available so being someone who likes to keep all their software up to date I went ahead and installed the update. It broke access to all my existing plugins. So after much faffing about I had to find and install an older version of the iLok manager and it's worked fine since then. I've never allowed another update. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I once opened the iLok software license manager to add a new plugin and it told me an update to the manager was available so being someone who likes to keep all their software up to date I went ahead and installed the update and it's worked fine since then.

fmr wrote:What you need to do:
1. Click the glass icon at the right of the start menu;
2. Type "Services";
3. Right click on the icon with a cogwheel and select "Run as Administrator";
4. Look for "Pace License Services" and click over it;
5. At the top left you will have several options with links. There should be a link titled "Start". Click it;

The service should be running now, and you should be able to start iLOK License Manager.

To try to solve the problem of the service not start with Windows as it should, you may try this:

1. Double click over the "Pace License Services";
2. At the window that pops up, you should have a "Startup Type" that reads Automatic - change it to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". This usually solves the problem for future launches.

Also, check if you have the latest version of the drivers. iLOK drivers and software usually don't behave very well in Windows, especially in Windows 10, but the latest versions seemed to have improved.
Did this work for you, Wags?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

OP, if you don't mind I have a question also.

I repartitioned by SSD and didn't even consider the iLok implications. Anyway now my DAW's cannot find Soundtoys however they appear perfectly fine in iLok license manger (ie, installed and active on the correct PC).

Or to rephrase my question how can Ableton/Cubase not find them when the license manager can?

Thoughts?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

mcbpete wrote:I once opened the iLok software license manager to add a new plugin and it told me an update to the manager was available so being someone who likes to keep all their software up to date I went ahead and installed the update and it's worked fine since then.
I'm very happy for you. It's good to be lucky isn't it.......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mushy Mushy wrote:OP, if you don't mind I have a question also.

I repartitioned by SSD and didn't even consider the iLok implications. Anyway now my DAW's cannot find Soundtoys however they appear perfectly fine in iLok license manger (ie, installed and active on the correct PC).

Or to rephrase my question how can Ableton/Cubase not find them when the license manager can?

Thoughts?
The license manager doesnt find plugins, it finds activations for plugins ie its not telling you what it sees on your system, its telling what you've got licenses for.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”