Do samples kill the *real* electronic music?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: I have to put in a lot of effort to find music that I enjoy. 99% of the stuff I hear, especially stuff I hear when I'm out and about, leaves me cold.
Second that. I suspect I don't actually like music but for some reason feel that I should, and that when I come across something I don't dislike it's such a relief it feels like love.

ghettosynth wrote:
BONES wrote: It would probably be more than 30 years since I heard a song on the radio that I'd rate as a good song. It's probably even longer since I walked into a shop and they were playing something that wasn't awful.
My grandmother says shit like that as well.
And because it's your grandmother saying it, it can't be right... Right? :dog:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
BONES wrote: It would probably be more than 30 years since I heard a song on the radio that I'd rate as a good song. It's probably even longer since I walked into a shop and they were playing something that wasn't awful.
You do realize that my grandmother doesn't "actually" say things like that, right? :dog:

ghettosynth wrote:
fmr wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
You do realize that my grandmother doesn't "actually" say things like that, right? :dog:

I’m not as old as BONES, but I agree. In my life, I can’t recall hearing a good song on the mainstream radio (specialized and “undeground,” and college radio stations are different. They aren’t commercial).

That’s because radio isn’t in the business of playing good music. It’s in the business of promoting the music industry, and their interests are in peddling disposable catchy, yet forgettable pop music.

You’re dismissing BONES opinion because of his “age,” whether your grandmother actually says the same thing or not.

That’s called ageism. If I dismissed your opinion because of your skin color that would be racism. Because of your gender, sexism. So, it’s fair to say that you’re a bigot.

No, it's called stupidity and indicates that he has no real comeback. It's the old "your mother wears army boots" taunt.
skipscada wrote:I suspect I don't actually like music but for some reason feel that I should, and that when I come across something I don't dislike it's such a relief it feels like love.
I was exactly like that when I was a teenager, until some friends dragged me along to see The Stranglers in 1979. That was one night that literally changed my life.
ghettosynth wrote:
BONES wrote:
jancivil wrote:It's like most of the worst of pop music, it can be manufactured like cookies and pooted forth for people to buy it. And what they're persuaded to buy hasn't a thing to do with music.
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
That's irony right there.
Really? Becuase it's lost on me. Surely you've been wandering around at some point, just humming some random tune and then having stupid pop song lyrics just fall out of your head that fit it perfectly? It feels like the easiest thing in the world to do. That's not to say it's easy to write a chart-topper but writing a pop song almost feels like it would be shamefully easy to do (if that's what you wanted to do).
When she says it, it's because the music she likes isn't being made any more but I buy new music all the time. It's just music that you'll never hear and that will never be played anywhere that you're likely to come across it because there is no diversity in mainstream music any more.

The music that I used to hear on the radio that I enjoyed were things like Peter Murphy's Cuts You Up or Leftfield Lydon's Open Up, which somehow made it to rotation on commercial radio. Music that different from the norm simply wouldn't get played today. The industry no longer supports more than a fraction of the diversity it once did. If you want to see what I mean, go and listen to a "Best of 1982" compilation and compare it to a "Best of 2012" compilation and see which contains the more diverse range of styles/genres.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: The music that I used to hear on the radio that I enjoyed were things like Peter Murphy's Cuts You Up or Leftfield Lydon's Open Up, which somehow made it to rotation on commercial radio. Music that different from the norm simply wouldn't get played today. The industry no longer supports more than a fraction of the diversity it once did. If you want to see what I mean, go and listen to a "Best of 1982" compilation and compare it to a "Best of 2012" compilation and see which contains the more diverse range of styles/genres.
That's unfortunately true. The industry, nowadays, is restricted to pop and hip-hop. Nothing else (except for some already well established big groups from the past). I think that, if a group like Pink Floyd were emerging today they would have a really hard time to get some exposure (if they would manage to get some at all). And that's really sad.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”