Characterful wavetable synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If consider as examples in meaning of "character" the some features that able to cause some "nonlinearities", i would say about PPG (Wolfgang) synths, or maybe really Largo (with its filters), or freeware SQ8L.
Though need note that often bigger impact influent to the peoples the visual factor ie UI design, rather than really character in sound (which also applies to me).

It seems you already have it, but I like Serum for character purely as you can use the noise osc as a modulation source. Just a touch of it sent to anything (but especially pitch) can really dirty things up. Tons of noise flavours to choose from too.

cron wrote:It seems you already have it, but I like Serum for character purely as you can use the noise osc as a modulation source. Just a touch of it sent to anything (but especially pitch) can really dirty things up. Tons of noise flavours to choose from too.
In Largo you can use all 3 main Oscs and the also the Noise source to modulate the 3 main Oscs and the 2 filters to do FM and/or filter FM.
The 3 Oscs and the filters have a "FM" drop-down menu to choose the FM sources.

In Synapse Audio DUNE 2 with the mod matrix the oscllators can more or less modulate anything so you could do some crazy audio rate modulation stuff there.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

cron wrote:It seems you already have it, but I like Serum for character purely as you can use the noise osc as a modulation source. Just a touch of it sent to anything (but especially pitch) can really dirty things up. Tons of noise flavours to choose from too.
I have Serum and use it a lot, actually I quite like it. It's possible to make some really interesting sounds, but they usually are nothing alike what I've actually tried to make :) That's indeed the difference between Serum and Virus TI, the latter always sounds cool but it has certain very strong sonic imprint, with Serum one can spend huge amount of time seraching for sweet spots but these sweet spots can be quite different in sound character.

Anyway, it seems that I underestimated Rapid, I spent yesterday evening making some moving wavetable soundscapes, using various osc FXes and modulating various things, adding overdrive/distortion at various stages of signal path. It does sound really good, maybe not exactly like Virus but getting similar dark/gritty sound character is quite possible. I think I'll stick to Rapid as for now also having Largo and Nave in mind.

Btw, as we skeaking about wavetables and "character", here it an old trance track where the synths sound just bloody amazing to me. I don't know what exactly was used but I like sound character a lot, the synths sound sort of lo-fi but in a very pleasing way. E.g. the chord sound at 0:07, 0:26 and so on, how do you think what was used for this? Or the talking synths at 6:08 and 6:36? The track is from 2004 if this gives any clue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOFJjsHkDCg
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: E.g. the chord sound at 0:07, 0:26 and so on, how do you think what was used for this? Or the talking synths at 6:08 and 6:36? The track is from 2004 if this gives any clue.
How the chord is made is pretty hard to say off course.
I for one am a huge fan of Decimort 2 if i want to give a sound the crunch of an old sampler.
The chord has characteristics of that lo-fi sound.
http://d16.pl/decimort2

It's called a bit crusher but don't compare it with your everyday bit crusher. For me it's excellent at giving sound a certain old school flavor (like a 12 bit sampler).
Talking synths are not that specific. You could make it in several ways.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, I know how to make various talking synths, I hoped someone would say "this sounds like a preset X from a synth Y" :) Not that I need these exact talking synths, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the Decimort tip! :tu:

Btw, it's definitely possible to make various dark soundscapey things in Serum as well, just saw this ad

https://soundcloud.com/sampleoddity/sets/anomaly-demos

Though as usual with Serum, I'd say this sounds perhaps too clean/sterile. I'd propably add some saturation/light distortion to these sounds if I were to use them in my tracks.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I wished D16 would offer the Vowel filter in LuSH-101 as a standalone effect. That thing seriously kicks ass. :)

I think all wavetable synths have character based on how you can utilise the wavetables. I have many, but the best for me still is DUNE2. The only one where you can have 16 different concurrent wavetables afaik. There's some interesting additive stuff right there! I hope DUNE3 comes with more MSEGs specifically for that.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Ableton Wavetable, without a doubt .. although that doesn't really help you much :)

Malström in Reason is one of my personal favorites. Full of character imho!

generaldiomedes wrote:Ableton Wavetable, without a doubt .. although that doesn't really help you much :)
Well for 'juicy, analog modelled filters' it's hard to beat and it also has great wavetables and interface.

Return to “Instruments”