recording MIDI output in Logic?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have loaded an instrument instance of Patchwork into a MIDI channel in Logic. Inside Patchwork, I am running a MIDI sequencer/generator called Chord Stepper (which is VST plugin) outputting MIDI when triggered by a single keyboard note. I hear its output by chaining another instrument after it in the Pre column. So far so good.

Now, how can I record its MIDI output? I have seen instructional videos showing how to record MIDI using Logic's MIDI FX instruments, but these are loaded into Logic's MIDI FX slot, and when I try to do this with Patchwork, there is no sound produced by whatever instrument plugin is loaded.

Can anyone shed light on how to record the MIDI output of an instrument instance of Patchwork? Or alternatively, how to get any sound out of Patchwork when it's loaded into the MIDI FX slot in Logic? I am so far at a loss.

Thanks -

GTorosian

I guess the easiest way to proceed is to use an instance of PatchWork as a MIDI effect, and load your synth in another instance in the virtual instrument slot of the track (MIDI FX in Logic cannot output audio). This way you can record the MIDI output of the first PatchWork instance (MFX), and still play audio in the synth instance.

Thank you - I have now been able to record MIDI in Logic following this routine:

0. insert Patchwork in the Midi FX slot of a channel strip
1. insert a VST plugin (i.e. Chord Stepper) into Patchwork
2. click on the instrument name in the Patchwork Interface and enable MIDI out to Host
3. add any instrument to the same channel strip using the Instrument slot
4. (record trigger note to test sound output)
5. copy this channel strip and paste a duplicate into next channel on the Logic mixer
6. on the original channel, change the instrument to Utility > External Instrument > Stereo
7. on the duplicate channel, add instrument of choice, and mute or delete Patchwork plugin
8. select the duplicate track, record enable, hit record, and the MIDI data gets recorded into the duplicate track

I'm not exactly sure why this works, but it does. I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between audio signal flows and MIDI data flows which are much more complex and much less obvious to me.

I will also try to run Chord Stepper in a Patchwork standalone instance, to see if I can get Logic to record the signal through the IAC buss .... although that will make sending the one trigger note from the keyboard another potential challenge....

This could may be of some help? http://www.audiocr.com/midi-fx-freeze/

You could indeed maybe use this midi-freeze fx inside PatchWork to record the MIDI data direcly and streamline the process.

Yes, midi FX Freeze works, and eliminates the need to use the IAC buss. I like how it lets you drag the MIDI recording onto any track - much like Spectrasonics RMX. Definitely improves work flow!

Great!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:37 am You could indeed maybe use this midi-freeze fx inside PatchWork to record the MIDI data direcly and streamline the process.
Works great, but I never use it inside Patchwork, just after it and any other MIDI FX in the MIDI FX panel.
Any advantages or additional benefits to putting it INSIDE?

The advantage of using it inside is that it is recalled with presets directly. I don't see any other benefit otherwise.

^^^
Thanks, makes sense.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”