[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

LawrenceF wrote:While many have focused on the shiny stuff, I've been looking around under the hood and have discovered a few nice nuggets like the audio routing is much better in v4. You can now route audio tracks to other audio tracks directly and you can also record from any output, including the master bus.

I also like Import Song Data. It's very easy to use it for track templates if you configure it a certain way, something that's long overdue. Patterns are also pretty cool because they work like recorded takes, are directly switchable on the timeline. Not a really huge update but a nice step forward overall.
I think they've also slightly improved flexibility in the extended FX chain, from what I read somewhere. That wasn't even mentioned in the release notes. For those people who don't know how powerful Studio One's extended FX chains are, and still think of Studio One as a lightweight DAW, just look up extended fx chains -- they're fantastic, Protools can't do that, Cubase can't do that, Reaper can't do that, etc.

Lots of little surprises and power features for pros are in there, not just the "shiny big features". Import song data is pretty good too.

Saw the update, saw it still didn't have retrospective record and sat around drinking hatorade for a good couple hours. Then I started watching the feature vids and the toys are just really cool. I'm a hobbyist. I like toys just like the next hobbyist. There are some really cool things here. I know I am going to upgrade like the patsy sheep I am.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

Is it still just one MIDI channel per track, or can we finally do multi midi channels on a track? This is extremely useful for guitar VSTis that can do string control by midi channel.

Thanks for the feedback on the plugin scanning. Sounds encouraging. I will give the demo a try. :tu:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Maybe this has been asked before but it's a long thread and I am lazy :D .. Is this $149 upgrade price a regular upgrade price that will last or is it time limited?
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

coolout wrote:For the record though, I'm on Mac also and didn't have any problems with plugin scanning in V3. Some older plugins would get blacklisted (like DCAM), but never a crash loop.
The problem was that if I added plugins in groups of, say, 100 at a time, S1 would not crash at all and successfully scan everything. So if the crash was caused by a faulty plugin it was impossible to find because there was nothing that would indicate why and where it crashed. And I maintain my plugins religiously and none of the other DAWs I use (Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase and Logic) showed any issues during scan.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

OK so i demoed today and i think its very subjective and personal update for everyone. After checking out all those new features only 1 feature is useful to me:

GUI update, i really like it, i like that i can have better adjustment of colors to my likings and i also like the new fonts, improved contrast of the text. But since its more accessability feature i think this is something that shouldve been implamented already.

For all other features, i dont really care. I thought pattern mode will be something in the area of FL Studio, but i was a bit naive thinking it can be same or close as to the program that has been based its workflow solely on patterns for the last 20 years :D

For me this update feels like 0.5 and simply i dont see reason to pay even 50 eu just for GUI update (mind you, the rest of the features is something i will not gonna use).

In general right now i have been using FL 20 for couple weeks wich was a departure from 12.5, Studio One 4 felt lacking comparing to how many FL Features introduced.

Elektronisch wrote:OK so i demoed today and i think its very subjective and personal update for everyone. After checking out all those new features only 1 feature is useful to me:

GUI update, i really like it, i like that i can have better adjustment of colors to my likings and i also like the new fonts, improved contrast of the text. But since its more accessability feature i think this is something that shouldve been implamented already.

For all other features, i dont really care. I thought pattern mode will be something in the area of FL Studio, but i was a bit naive thinking it can be same or close as to the program that has been based its workflow solely on patterns for the last 20 years :D

For me this update feels like 0.5 and simply i dont see reason to pay even 50 eu just for GUI update (mind you, the rest of the features is something i will not gonna use).

In general right now i have been using FL 20 for couple weeks wich was a departure from 12.5, Studio One 4 felt lacking comparing to how many FL Features introduced.
It kind of is a 0.5 update given that we have come from 3.5 :wink:

There are a lot (I am still finding them) of small but important workflow changes that actually make quite a difference; I agree the headline features may not be needed for everyone (personally I don't use FL so the integrated electron style pattern mode is a nice addition) but dig in, there are treasures busied under the headlines and if you assume the update will get you free updates until V5 then the value may be there, if not, just wait for V5 :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ATN69 wrote:Maybe this has been asked before but it's a long thread and I am lazy :D .. Is this $149 upgrade price a regular upgrade price that will last or is it time limited?
Regular and you can get it quite a bit cheaper if you shop around....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
jens wrote:
Igro wrote:Is it possible to assign your own drum synth to those pattern lines? Or it works only with samples imported to the Impact?
it's an alternative MIDI editor and as such can be used with any instrument.
I'm playing with it now, its great- can be usd for anything (not just drums)- ratcheting, probablity etc all work as expected, fast and intuitive way to build rhythmical patterns with variations - certainly not original, but a great addition to native DAW editing. :clap:
Sounds good. This will improve the workflow drastically.

dellboy wrote:
woodsdenis wrote: The actual Chord track feature on midi is not as extensive with not having a proper alt voicing feature, unless I missed that ?
Not sure if it has that, but I have played with it for a few minutes and its a great tool to teach the basics of chord theory.
Will investigate this further but my guess would be the for the polyphonic audio to follow chord changes it needs to be fairly basic, to add in alt voicing into the audio transpositions would make a difficult job nearly impossible. As far as I can see the chord feature for midi is far better in Cubase but the Poly audio in S1 is streets ahead. No doubt its a a clever integration by Presonus.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I am sure that I will upgrade to Studio One 4 Professional in the future, but not at this time. The new features and improvements do not add a significant amount of value to my workflow.

Nevertheless, it is good to see PreSonus continue to actively develop Studio One. It has come a long way since the initial version.

Just one other bit of feedback that has just occurred to me- I have spent all day (8 hours so far) trying new features, opening old V3 songs ands general throwing stuff at V4 - not a singe crash, not a even a hiccup! It hadn't even occurred to me, you don't notice when something is working! (PS on Windows 10)

So, as far as I can tell, very stable initial release, my only negative comment is that the high DPI setting seems to have gone!

I was playing around with the new version...

One thing I might haven´t figured out yet:

How do I restrict the new chord track to a scale???
I mean how much sense does it make without being able to work inside one chosen scale???
How do I do chord inversions???

If this is not possible to set, it might be useful for people knowing exactly what they do, but I don´t know all chords and variations of all scales ...

am i wrong to say that you cant paint chords into midi parts using the chord track and that chord track requires you to have already added midi data which will then be transposed according to the chord track?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”