AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

Requests go directly to Akai. I can't speak for them regarding the schedule or content of updates. All I can say, is that there are new things coming up.

Thanks for the reply.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Orbit-50 wrote: There was only one issue that I ran into that was impossible to overcome. It was the fact that Waves Element, and the other stupid one by them, will not import factory presets or banks period. There was no workaround for those two plugins. I'm assuming that they used some sort of closed preset handling system there? Did I miss something? Anyway, I dumped those and moved on.
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I did want to chime in on this.

I have Element, Codex, Electric200/88, and Clavinet working in VIP3. Presumably Grand Piano and Electric Grand would work just fine as well.

1. It appears each Waves instrument plugin is exposed through the WaveShell vst, so for VIP to recognize additional Waves instruments (Codex, Element, Clavinet, etc.) you need to re-scan the first plugin that VIP picked up when initially scanning for plugins.

2. You can import presets individually using VIP's import function, but you need to either (a) ensure that "Allow duplicate presets" (patches?) is enabled for the particular Waves plugin in VIP or (b) delete the "Default" preset. This is because VIP sees Wave patch names as "Default" on import, so if there's already a "Default" in the library for the plugin, VIP won't import it if the "Allow duplicates" isn't checked.

So, yeah, a bit tedious to do Import > Rename from Default to the actual patch name > Change preset in VST > Repeat, but it's a one-time thing, and I did it only for the presets I actually liked.

Hope that helps someone who trips over this thread.

hopkihc wrote:[This is because VIP sees Wave patch names as "Default" on import
To give credit where it is due, this is because Wave names all its presets "Default" when asked by the host.

Ah, right, thanks for clarifying that!

Version 3.1 is out!

Calm down, tho. They didn't fix any of issues I reported :v
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The idea of a plugin patch manager is wonderful and most certainly makes workflow turbo charged.

But this is only as good as the software. While VIP offers more than Kompkete Kontrol my worry is stability and future.

Manufacturers have a habit of great ideas but no future plan, VIP rings on that to me where NI are more likely to support KK going forward.

I assume VIP and KK are the only Mac/PC plugin patch managers ?

lol
NI ditched Kore 2011, which, still today, is the absolute best plugin chainer, patch library, sound control software BY FAR, imho, and so much more.
I would definitely NOT bet on NI to stay future proof ;)

That was completely different.

Komplete Kontrol has a wealth of HW behind it, keyboards maschine controllers.

Kore was early development and a single unit.

Akai on the other hand trashed many a decent pad controller that simply needed a driver update let alone a whole app like VIP.

TabSel wrote:lol
NI ditched Kore 2011, which, still today, is the absolute best plugin chainer, patch library, sound control software BY FAR, imho, and so much more.

I have VIP 3.1 and I like it. is it perfect? No. Does it work with all plugins from any manufacturer? No. Thank the various plugin developers for that, making use of various preset elements that do not follow a standard.

But it's still far more useful than opening up several individual plugins and using their primitive native preset menus one at a time to find a sound I am looking for. I currently have over 20,000 instrument presets imported in VIP that I can instantly search through.

Then with the ability to create multis with up to 8 instruments at a time, layer and split them as needed, opens creative sound design doors that would not be easy to quickly setup otherwise.

If I had already invested in NI hardware, I may have taken a closer look at KK, but I think that for the money VIP is a fantastic bit of software.

The best workaround I have found for plugins that won't import presets to VIP, is to use a DAW and insert one instance of the VIP plugin and use your multis within the VIP plugin, and then layer the other non-compliant plugins on additional DAW tracks. That way you can mix it all together in the DAW mixer.

Another cool feature of VIP is the setlist. For example you could create a multi for each song and save a set list of these multis that you can select with one click as needed. Quickly have layers and splits that you need for your set at your fingertips.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I will keep my bet that KK has a longer and brighter future than VIP.
dedication to flying

Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but... i can't get MIDI learn to work in VIP 3.1.1 Standard. Neither in standalone nor in VST plugin loaded in the DAW does MIDI learn have any effect when i activate it. It simply doesn't react, when i turn the knobs on my MIDI keyboard. My keyboard is a Novation Impulse, and i'm using VIP on Windows 10, in standalone mode, and as a plugin in Studio One 4 Pro and Ableton Live Lite 9. If anyone has an idea, it'd be greatly appreciated...
rod_zero wrote:I will keep my bet that KK has a longer and brighter future than VIP.
Just wondering but... does KK also work with third party MIDI controllers? I have the KK software in Native Access, because i got Komplete Select 11.

topaz wrote:That was completely different.

Komplete Kontrol has a wealth of HW behind it, keyboards maschine controllers.

Kore was early development and a single unit.

Akai on the other hand trashed many a decent pad controller that simply needed a driver update let alone a whole app like VIP.

TabSel wrote:lol
NI also quietly ditched driver updates on Rig Kontrol, and many of their audio interfaces. They're not even supporting Rig Kontrol in generic MIDI controller mode anymore in Controller Editor. I don't think I'm going to wait around to see how long it is before they ditch Maschine Studio, since Mk3 is nearly as powerful..

All I'm saying here is you got burned by AKAI, doesn't make NI into saints; I didn't even get around to the sheer amount of abandoned plug ins they've put out to pasture. Too many examples of smaller companies that keep old plug ins they make no money off of up to date to say it's an OK practice.

chk071 wrote:Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but... i can't get MIDI learn to work in VIP 3.1.1 Standard. Neither in standalone nor in VST plugin loaded in the DAW does MIDI learn have any effect when i activate it. It simply doesn't react, when i turn the knobs on my MIDI keyboard. My keyboard is a Novation Impulse, and i'm using VIP on Windows 10, in standalone mode, and as a plugin in Studio One 4 Pro and Ableton Live Lite 9. If anyone has an idea, it'd be greatly appreciated...
rod_zero wrote:I will keep my bet that KK has a longer and brighter future than VIP.
Just wondering but... does KK also work with third party MIDI controllers? I have the KK software in Native Access, because i got Komplete Select 11.
I don't know anything about the Novation Impulse, but if it sends standard MIDI CC over the MIDI port, you can learn it in VIP.

Example for the controls area:
1. Open VIP standalone with your controller connected.
2. Click the encoder icon for the Controls View in the lower pane.
3. Click on the MIDI icon in the far top right corner of the VIP UI to enter MIDI learn mode.
4. Click on the first encoder you wish to assign. It will start blinking. Now move the control on your controller that you want to use. While still in MIDI learn mode check the "Mode" dropdown menu at the bottom left to ensure you are set to the correct mode such as "knob" or "button", etc.
5. Repeat step 3 to exit MIDI learn mode.

The multi mixer area works in a similar way.

There is also a second step that you may need to do, and that is to map the plugin itself to VIP. Look for the little "Learn" button in the top right corner of the plugin controls view. If the bank in control view is showing defaults like "Parameter 0", "Parameter 1", etc., you will probably need to do this step first.

But plugin mapping only works with plugins that have accessible plugin parameters, so if it is a fairly new plugin without automation data, such as Fathom, it will not work. Many popular plugins come with ready made maps, but you can edit them here if the pre-mapped parameters don't suit you.

And you probably already know this, but I will add it here for general info, and that it's a good idea to use a free tool like MIDI-OX, or any available MIDI monitor for your system, if you have any doubts about what your controller is sending as far as MIDI CC data is concerned. Always good to know that part is working correctly before you bang your head too much trying to configure software! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thanks. I actually did exactly like you described in your steps, but, it just won't work. Think i'll give up anyway, as i still don't exactly like the VIP software. It's so cluttered, and the GUI is unclear. I also installed the Komplete Kontrol software, which i like ten times more, but, it is just not possible to set up your MIDI controller to work with the controls. Fair enough, seems it's only made for use with the NI hardware. You can play notes over your MIDI keyboard, but, that's about it. Back to the host implemented MIDI learn systems.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”