Control Ableton Live from VR, comments/discussion

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/AsXJXGGQRuU

Any comments on controlling Ableton from VR (using AliveInVR).

Virtual push like control combined with binaural/spatial mixing, Social VR, 3D controllers.

Not seen that one before though, a bit simplistic in terms of leveraging VR, but looks easy enough to use. Ive used VR tech off and on since the late 90s, though, and as a result Im a bit unconvinced of its universal applicability just 'because VR'. Plus Im not so keen on flailing my arms around to do stuff I could do more easily with a mouse or launchpad. :lol:

Not so keen on the additional processing burden that would put on the PC, though. I prefer all my DAW's CPU to go on audio processing. And the social thing is a bit meh to me. I can see the novelty appeal, not sure about long lasting situations; I think it has more of a longterm applicability for performance-based work and installations than composition.

I think tying it to Live might be a bit narrow as well. Something more generic might have more application.

Also, since you're a brand-new poster I have to ask; what's your involvement with this project?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Interesting comments, I'm the developer of the project - posted as looking for feedback maybe should've added a disclaimer?

It's more a fun performance/experience in VR than trying to replace the existing workflows. There isn't the tactile control yet in VR to be a productivity tool for music though you can do things you can't with traditional HW controllers (like Social + 3D control + visualisations).

Most of the processing goes on in the GPU rather than CPU so running it doesn't get in the way of the audio engine in Ableton live.

Rereading, I think I sounded overly negative. I am actually interested in these sorts of applications, and where I work (art college) its the kind of territory Im expecting to have to deal with more interest in as time goes on, so knowing of stuff like this is actually useful to me. It falls under several of the tech bailiwicks I have involvement in (VR, performance and audio)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Cool, having picked up game engine use over the last year, it seems like the most creative project I've worked on for a long while (Unreal Engine is what I'm using).

Seems to me like these VR dev tools will find their way into artists hands for all sorts of weird and wonderful projects.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”