---

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

sjm wrote:
Nielzie wrote:I don't use FL Studio and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but out of curiousity (probably because of the large version jump) looking at the changes and improvements, this upgrade doesn't seem THAT overwelming? :)
Well it's all relative, isn't it? Relative to a few things. Version 12 got quite a few updates over the years, so if you compare 20 to 12.0 rather than 12.5, there's a much bigger difference. It's also relative to how useful you personally find the new features. The version that introduced performance mode was a big meh from my point of view. For others, I'm sure it was massive. There are a number of things in 20, e.g. audio recording with multiple takes in the playlist, and time signatures that (presuming they work well) will have a proper impact on my workflow and just make things easier.

People making 4/4 ITB EDM are going to be like "meh". Mac users may be going "yeah". Not being a Mac user, I have no idea what the previous version was like. So basically, horses for courses and all that.
True, and I must confess that I had not realised the Mac side of things there.

Because updates are free anyway it wouldn't even matter, but when I saw that big version jump and asumed that there must have been added a lot of new features and stuff, it seemed a bit underwhelming when I read the changelog :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

brainzistor wrote:
sjm wrote:Looking forward to trying out the multiple time signatures. I've got a project on the backburner mixing 7/8 and 11/8 that I'll dig out again.
But, hey, hooray, now people can finally work with multiple time signatures in FL Studio because apparently previously they couldn't.
Maybe I'm guilty because I play drums too and I didn't need any help from DAW to draw it all for me, idk....
I for one am happy that I no longer need to write my documents in WordPerfect. Sure, if that's your thing, go for it. The rest of us are probably happy that WYSIWYG is now a thing.

Russell Grand wrote:+1
Or rather +8 :?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Looks great. :tu: I own the "Fruity Edition" and for my use case I find it to be the perfect VSTi companion for just about any DAW and most especially for loop based music. My process with it is/was as below...

1. Start an idea in FL standalone. Get a good beat going, save it.
2. Open that later as a VSTi in... well anything... lot of discreet outputs to treat or do as you please in the DAW mixer.
3. Record vocals, live instruments, whatever, while FLStudio stays first generation pumping out the sampled parts.
4. Render a mixdown.

The best thing is that any changes you do in FL after step 2 above get saved with the DAW song file.

$99 lifetime for the Fruity Edition for the use case above is arguably rated very highly among the best money I'd ever spent. :tu:

MAC user here so no actual experience with FL. But I have been waiting for quite some time to try it - it always appeared to have much of the Exact Stuff I need. So tentatively very excited! My needs run towards Loomer for the next 40 years but I'm a mortal.

ooh I have the menu on the bottom now, one row deep, sexy :love:

Does anyone know if the mac release includes the VSTi version of FL Studio to use inside other hosts?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Nielzie wrote:
camsr wrote:Happy 20th anniversary, the new FL studio is awesome
I don't use FL Studio and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but out of curiousity (probably because of the large version jump) looking at the changes and improvements, this upgrade doesn't seem THAT overwelming? :)
not sure what classifies as "overwhelming"...

but the fact that in "theory" if an individual brought Fl Studio 20 years ago... they are still getting FREE updates today... blue jeans dont last that long... right?

woggle wrote:
Unaspected wrote:
woggle wrote:does anyone know if you can automatically crossfade audio items now? Most DAWs allow some sort of default auto crossfade between overlapping audio items but FL hasn't in the past as far as I know.
It's been there for a number of years - can't recall if it was there when FL first launched though. Check the declick options. It's not as flexible or quick as the method in Pro Tools but it's there. Otherwise, there is an equal power curve (half sine) in the automation clip curve menu.
thanks - crossfade is greyed out for me on the audio i tested - but seems a bit limited for my needs anyway - I do hundreds of audio edits and crossfades.
Yeah, it's not flexible, fast or exact. I haven't been able to use FL Studio for any serious audio editing work with anything close to the speed afforded by Pro Tools. Hopefully the new comping feature will work but it does need to be paired with a better crossfade system.

I like the update list. Hopefully this will be a new trend and the core features will be addressed before shiny new plugins or features are added. Though I would like to see New Tone as a playlist feature - with editing in the playlist. At the very least, I would like to see more streamlined warp editing.

:p they skipped ver 13 to 19 and went straight to ver 20. Reason to be is that Image Line turn 20 years old. I think it's good because it mean 7 less downloads and update installations :hihi: ..jk
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

That's quite impressive, IL. Congrats!

Being a FL(S)-user since v1.x the lifetime free updates really pay off. Though I'm working with Live and Reaper these days FLS is still on my system and updated regularly.

Guess I'll spend the next session with v20 because the return of the graph editor brings back some good 'ol memories. :-)

EvilDragon wrote:There's no direct MPE support from what it seems.
What do you mean, no "direct" MPE support, @EvilDragon?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Since I own a license for FL Studio, I gave this new version a shot. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it extremely annoyed me that every time I added a new element, I manually needed to link it to a mixer track and rename it 3 times (in step sequencer, arrangement window and mixer).

I know about CTRL-L but this is still a very cumbersome workaround. Isn't there any way to automatically assign (and rename) new elements to an empty mixer track? And when I put a pattern in an empty arranger track, is there a way to automatically rename this track to the pattern name?

Having the freedom to link anything to any mixer track and to put anything in any order in the arrangement is great, but in the end it looks like I spend more time renaming stuff than actually making music.

Reefius wrote:Since I own a license for FL Studio, I gave this new version a shot. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it extremely annoyed me that every time I added a new element, I manually needed to link it to a mixer track and rename it 3 times (in step sequencer, arrangement window and mixer).

I know about CTRL-L but this is still a very cumbersome workaround. Isn't there any way to automatically assign (and rename) new elements to an empty mixer track? And when I put a pattern in an empty arranger track, is there a way to automatically rename this track to the pattern name?

Having the freedom to link anything to any mixer track and to put anything in any order in the arrangement is great, but in the end it looks like I spend more time renaming stuff than actually making music.
I'm affraid I have to agree on this one, I am not FL studio user (yet), but since it came to OSX I am testing it at the moment and I would love to give it a proper chance in real projects as I love it's flexibility and different approach than Logic Pro, but contant menu diving, lack of customizable shortcuts and renamig same things on multiple locations is definitely show stopper for the creative flow. :scared:
Other than that I am surprised how fun is FL and I will definitely keep my eyes on it :tu:

Reefius wrote:Since I own a license for FL Studio, I gave this new version a shot. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it extremely annoyed me that every time I added a new element, I manually needed to link it to a mixer track and rename it 3 times (in step sequencer, arrangement window and mixer).

It´s a matter of preferences... freedom of doing things often brings some other annoyances on the table...

Nevertheless, I don´t think that CTRL+L is too much work to link a generator with autorenaming to a mixer track...
Dropping a named pattern onto the name field of a playlist track autonames the track and insert the pattern on this track...
With the 20.1 update there are new track types planned: Instruments and Audiotracks, which will behave more like "linear" Daws...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRQBvy2ucY

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”