Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a new set of compressors I've made for Nebula. Nebula compressors have had a reputation for not really being too reliable for their compression abilities, and many people just use them for their tone and use a separate VST for compression. I think this set of comps should change that. They are based on very transparent hardware but the results still sound like analog compression. You can even limit with some of them and it's still fairly transparent, but smooth.
http://www.cupwise.com/cup/rayphlex661x2-a/

If you don't know what Nebula is, and are one of those people who like 'analog simulation' type stuff, you SHOULD know what Nebula is. It compares with UAD stuff as far as the sound quality. It's kind of an 'open' development platform so anyone can make stuff for it, and there are a few core groups who are making top quality stuff. You can see what kind of other stuff is available, and check out the Nebula thing in general, here:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=13

DELETED

i've uploaded a new audio clip that i think does a better job at showing off the compression on drums, and i 'redid' one of the ones i already had (brought it's levels up by using one of the programs in the set as a limiter, which is totally unheard of with a Neb program).

also, it appears that i forgot to mention that i've made a 'community edition' available, which is free for anyone to use, who is a Nebula customer. it's fixed at a 10:1 ratio, and the attack/release range is limited, but it really does a great job of showing off the compression you can get here. in fact you can get limiting with it if you add in some lookahead.

the set has been getting great reviews here and here.

I've just made a few updates.

a) now there is a free demo version available that will work with any free Nebula. the community version is the better of the two, so if you already have it, you don't need the demo version. the demo version is still good for showing the compression.
grab it here

b) i've added some things to the set. such as duplicate programs for external side-chain input, some of the programs now have a dry % control that you can use to add dry signal back in (which works well because the phase matches nicely), and some of them now have an 'ahead' control which is already usually in most comp programs but i took it out to make room for other stuff and because i never thought ahead was useful. later i saw that it could be used for limiting, so now i've added it back in, for a few progs.

if you have the set you can grab the 44kHz update pack here
and the 96kHz update pack here.

one other thing, if anyone bought the 44k version of the set, make sure that that's what you got. some people were getting the 96k version instead. if this happened to you, contact me.

this is not just 'another' compressor, it is a technical break thru in nebula sampling.

the most authentic hardware sounding compressor there is in software. just try using it to add punch to a drum buss... now you hear what has been lacking in software compression till now!

it's the first nebula compressor that actually works properly, forget all the other nebula compressors with their annoying problems and check this out :)

this sound demo from another thread says it all:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/8303120-post22.html

I would love to test the demo version on my free Nebula 3, but the programs don't appear anywere.

scalawag wrote:I would love to test the demo version on my free Nebula 3, but the programs don't appear anywere.
hmm that's weird. i think they should be in the 'com' folder. can you double check there and let me know if you see them? if not i'll check into it (i would right now but my computer is tied up w/sampling).
-tim

The demo files works on Nebula 3 FREE, right?
I uninstalled and installed again Nebula. Still no luck....
I'm running Nebula 3 Free 32bit on Windows 7 64bit with Ableton Live 8 32bit.

they should be fixed now, so try re-downloading them. sorry it took so long, i've been pretty busy! let me know if there are any other issues.
-tim

It's fixed!
Thank you!
Even with just the limited demo on Free Nebula, i have to say this is a winner! I think i 'll buy Nebula 3 Pro one of this days.... I have to make some more cash for it. Maybe for christmas!

HUGE update. I've decided to revisit this library, and give it a complete over-haul, bringing it in-line with how my recent compressors work 'under the hood', as well as having JPN to make skins for both N4 and N3. As with my other comps, the N3 skins allow you to switch between lite, full, and shq without your settings being reset. Unfortunately N4 doesn't allow this possibility so the N4 skins don't do it, but they still look nice!

I think it's fair to say that the original release of this library holds a 'historic' spot in Nebula history, and was considered by many to be the first working Nebula compressor, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread (and at acustica and gearslutz). I also think it's fair to point out that at least one or two methods I pioneered in this release became commonplace in Nebula comps immediately afterwards and still to this day. Meanwhile some other things in it are still unique (like the high frequency controls; and for a long time, allowing adjustable *slow* attack speeds without all kinds of weird behavior). So it feels really good for me to go back and breathe some new life into it. I'm really happy with how it came out, and I think I might like the skins JPN did for this one more than any others he's done for me.

IMPORTANT INFO-
The library was originally released in two parts, one for hard and one for the soft knee. This new updated version has them both combined into one release, renamed "Rayphlex MkII". Anyone who had bought BOTH parts in the past, get's this new MkII upgrade for FREE. I've just sent out emails for that. But a lot of the sales were clear back in 2012, so a lot of those emails bounced already. If you own it and didn't get the email, contact me and we'll get you the MkII.

For the customers who only bought one of the two parts, I sent out another email, offering them a deal to upgrade at a discount. The offer is that you basically buy the other half that you didn't buy in the past, and that upgrades you to the full MkII set (instead of having to buy it at full price). I think it's $16. But those customers just have to email me if they want to do that, and I'll send an email with a code they can use to get Mk II at the discount.

I'm going to post the update info in the next post just to keep things a little organized!

Oh and here's the page for MkII !!
www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/rayphlex-compressors-mkii/
Last edited by Cupwise on Sun May 27, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

What's new-

* Originally this library was released in two separate packs, one for hard and soft knee each. Combined them both into one release. Update is only free to past customers who bought both the hard and soft knee packs in the past. Anyone who bought just one or the other will have to pay $16, which is like buying the other half of the set that they didn't have, to get the full updated new library.

* New skins for both N3 and N4. N3 skins allow you to switch between lite, full, and SHQ versions with the click of a button without the controls being reset to default positions (which normally happens when switching programs), which is really nice and convenient.

* Rebuilt the vectors from the original tone sweeps, allowing me to really reassess and re-edit the impulses.

* Attack and Release controls and their behavior were completely recreated, and are much closer to the hardware than before. The scaling on the controls is different than it was in the original programs. The attack control has a lot more range before 20ms, allowing you to more easily fine tune faster attack settings (it also matches the hardware more closely).

* Harmonic impulses were drastically reduced in number, with no loss of quality. Many of the samples in the old programs were just noise floor, and had no actual impulse content. Those were tossed out. I came up with a new way of handling the harmonics too, which further allowed me to reduce the amount of impulses needed.

* Rescaled the ratio control. It's way better now. In old programs, the higher ratios took up most of the range on the control. Now the lower ratios are more spread out (and more closely match the hardware, too).

* Different kern options were replaced by 'lite, full, shq' options, which do use different kern amounts but have other differences beyond just that. SHQ gives the most accurate low bass response but uses a huge amount of CPU resources and can only be used for rendering. Lite versions still use the 'old method' for the compression, which is still good (and what got this library well known when it was originally released), and allows them to use much lower CPU than full and SHQ.

* The full versions of the hard and soft knee programs with the high frequency enhancer controls now require very fast CPU to use live, and on my system I can't do it. So you'll probably need to use the lite versions of those programs until you're ready to render and then swtich to full or SHQ. The 'softer' programs include the high freq controls too but you may be able to run the full version of that live since it doesn't have a ratio control which makes it less CPU intensive.

* The compressor programs now all use the completely updated methods my newer compressors have been using, which allows the faster attack settings to be more accurate, except for the 'lite' programs which still use the older method. This does increase CPU use, but at least that's offset a bit by the CPU use reduction acheived by some of these other changes I made.

* Gain reduction meter has been improved.

* Dist control removed from comp programs.

* Attack and release controls for the 'soft 2' comp have been replaced to be the same controls found in the other comp programs. Those controls were just a switch between 'fast' and 'slow' settings in the old programs

* Old dry control, which only added some dry signal back in, replaced with wet control, which allows you to do a fade between wet and dry signals, allowing quick and easy 'new york style' compression. Hard and soft knee programs with HFcon don't have this since there aren't enough controls allowed, to include it.

* Look-ahead only goes up to 1.5ms now, which is good enough if you want instant compression with no peaks getting through.

* Side-chain high pass filter range reduced down to 600hz instead of 1khz.

* The Overdrive pass-through program has been completely rebuilt. The way I programmed that one in the original release was pretty wacky. I can see what I was trying to do but it was just needlessly weird. So now it's like my other pass-through programs. It still saturates when you drive it, and is probably better in that regard now.

* The many bonus programs (various extra versions using different feedback/feedforward detector settings, and different detection types like RMS, etc.) are gone. I think it's best to just focus on trying to get the main programs to be as accurate as possible.

* External sidechain programs are also gone. I believe at some point acustica updated nebula, removing the sidechain ability. No idea why, but they don't work now so I removed them.

* Moved library to new location inside Nebula. 'CC9' for 96khz and 'CC4' for 44.1khz. CC stands for Cupwise Compressors. My latest comp release, SmackVU, is also in that same location, and I plan on having some others moved and/or released there as well. The end result will be that if you have some or all of the comps grouped there, you'll have quick access to several different compressors, all in the same spot. Seems better than having every different comp in its own category (some of my comp releases will stay in their own categories though).

* Removed the 'Soft II No UFE' programs/vectors. I decided they weren't really needed because the Soft II programs that do have UFE don't require much more CPU use. There's less of a difference than with the hard and soft knee programs with and without UFE. Nothing unique is being lost here by removing the program, you can get the same results by using the Soft II with UFE program, and just leaving the UFE control at 0%.

* Library is now called MkII since this is a pretty massive update. Also now it's just called 'Rayphlex' since it includes both hard and soft knees.

* Updated manual to reflect all changes and include info for both hard and soft knee programs, and added my logo which I didn't have on original release.

* Almost surely some other minor things I've completely forgotten about.

Really nice Tim! The compressors sound really nice, smooth and snappy. i like the skin in N4! Much easier to use. I wish more N4 libraries were as integrated as this. But I can also see it's a lot of work to get to this evolved state. :phones:

Question: In the release notes you mention a control to load in the lite/full/SHQ program in the same instance while retaining the parameters. Yes in the manual I see no refernce to this nor do I see any UI for this... am I blind?? Where is the parameter to load in the different vectors?

hi plex. thanks for your support and i'm glad you like the update.

the switches for switching between lite, full, shq only work with the Nebula 3 skin. I'd put it in Nebula 4 also, if I could, but Acustica never put the codes to make it work in the N4 skin language, so there's really nothing I can do about it.

emails are being sent out for these updates. it will be a couple of hours before all of the emails are sent, but if you bought this library you should get the email soon.
New updates:

*added 48khz and 88.2khz sample rates.

*the ripple that appeared in the low bass frequencies in the SHQ program (it was worse below 50hz) is now gone. it only affected the SHQ programs. the 44.1khz version of the SHQ programs also had a more minor ripple in the upper freqs approaching 20khz, and that's also gone.

*lite versions of all compressor programs have been changed to use the same method as the full and shq versions. this means they use more CPU now, but they have the same accuracy in the attack/release as full and shq versions. more importantly, it also removes the artifacts that the lite versions could produce with bassy inputs in the past (which was the trade-off that allowed them to use less CPU).

*the full and shq versions of the hard and soft knee programs with HF control have had their CPU use reduced. they still use about twice as much as the ones without the HF controls, but before this update I couldn't run the 96khz full versions live, but now I can (barely). I had to completely redo the coding for the sample use which allowed me to optimize everything and remove a lot of redundancy (many samples were being used more than once).

*SHQ programs use less harmonic kerns now because the actual hardware comps are very clean when it comes to harmonic distortion and the harmonics are all very low, especially beyond the 3rd or 4th. This also means that these should render just a little faster now.

Return to “Effects”