question about audio interfaces - wanna get a new one

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Take a look at the linked image:

http://www.dorsetpahire.co.uk/wp-conten ... t-lead.png

An insert cable is a Y-cable with three wires (conductors). Signal flows out of the jack on the "tip", goes to the input jack of the "inserted" hardware, flows back out of the inserted hardware on the "ring" conductor. The sleeve conductor acts as a ground for both the tip and ring paths.

So the audio interface only uses one jack for the insert, but you need an insert cable to make it work.
Last edited by RichieWitch on Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fabi wrote:I'm really confused by TS/TRS / unbalanced versus balanced inputs and such... I don't quite understand what kind of adapters I would need and which ones might damage the interface or other connected equipment.
You need to focus on what you actually need.

Korg Volca series provide stereo outputs on 3.5mm stereo headphone plug. But the interface needs two 6.3mm mono jacks (one for left, the other for right channel)

What I would use in that scenario is a cable with stereo 3.5mm plug on one side and two RCA connectors on the other. This is the standard cable to connect a device with mini headphone outputs to a home hifi set. Then add some RCA -> 6.3mm adapters to that. The reason is that these are standard and cheap components and easy to find. Cables with 3.5mm stereo on one side and two 6.3mm mono plugs on the other side are hard to find and probably are more expensive as well.

If you don't have hardware effects (e.g. compressor, EQ) then forget about the insert jacks. You won't use them.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:If you don't have hardware effects (e.g. compressor, EQ) then forget about the insert jacks. You won't use them.
^^^ Yes, good point. :tu:

BertKoor wrote:Cables with 3.5mm stereo on one side and two 6.3mm mono plugs on the other side are hard to find and probably are more expensive as well.
Not that hard over here, though I guess it varies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-6 ... B0034DSUMK
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
BertKoor wrote:Cables with 3.5mm stereo on one side and two 6.3mm mono plugs on the other side are hard to find and probably are more expensive as well.
Not that hard over here, though I guess it varies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-6 ... B0034DSUMK
I already posted a link to such an adapter from Musicstore.de. Once I had figured out what kind of y-adapter I need, it wasn't that hard to find. Only 3,90€, too.

You guys know those mini jack y-adapters to connect two headphones to one output, right? I (ab)used to use those to mix signals. Instead of connecting them to an output, I had hooked them up to the input of my interface to be able to connect more than one volca at a time.
I stopped doing that for two reasons. First off, someone had told me that I could damage equipment doing that, and secondly, the signals get halved for each headphone y-adapter and I could barely hear the synths anymore...

Some of the gear suggested here seems really interesting, but the umc404 has about the right price...

Sounds like I'd skip the inserts if I were to buy it and just connect directly.

Also, the volcas (except fm and sample) output dual mono, not true stereo, so I thought it would work to connect the volca Bass and keys as mono and my fm as stereo via the two inputs left over.

fabi wrote:Also, the volcas (except fm and sample) output dual mono, not true stereo, so I thought it would work to connect the volca Bass and keys as mono and my fm as stereo via the two inputs left over.
It would, I guess, but since it doesnt leave any inputs for the Rocket, you might be replugging a lot.

whyterabbyt wrote:
fabi wrote:Also, the volcas (except fm and sample) output dual mono, not true stereo, so I thought it would work to connect the volca Bass and keys as mono and my fm as stereo via the two inputs left over.
It would, I guess, but since it doesnt leave any inputs for the Rocket, you might be replugging a lot.
Well, that's true. The rocket has a filter in, though, so I might run one of the volcas through it. Not ideal, I know.

fabi wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Well, that's true. The rocket has a filter in, though, so I might run one of the volcas through it. Not ideal, I know.
I'm currently thinking about getting a behringer xenyx 802 USB instead. It has kind of more inputs, but lower recording quality (16 bit / 48 kHz opposed to 24bit / 192 kHz) , probably worse preamps and no midi in or out.
So I'd have to get another USB to midi cable,
but since it's cheaper than the Umc404hd I'd have some money left over for one.

The xenyx has two one-knob compressors for the first two inputs and equalizers for all channels plus a send/return...

Still undecided. Will probably be ordering one or the other on Thursday, until then I'd really appreciate some feedback. :)

Mixers in this price segment with USB usually only can record the main mix out, not the separate input channels.

Regarding compressors on a dinky mixer: better avoid them. Just get a good clean recording with plenty of headroom and do your compression in the DAW. Chances are you're not doing the compression right first time anyway...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Mixers in this price segment with USB usually only can record the main mix out, not the separate input channels.

Regarding compressors on a dinky mixer: better avoid them. Just get a good clean recording with plenty of headroom and do your compression in the DAW. Chances are you're not doing the compression right first time anyway...

Thanks for clarifying... I had in the meantime also done some reading up on the mixer and figured that it only passes the main mix via USB. Too bad, that means it's out of the question for me...

You might wanna consider an usb mixer that has separate out for every channel.

*edit*

Someone suggested it already.. whoops :oops:

If you multiply your budget by 4 or 5: Zoom LiveTrak L-12

Lots of inputs, all available as inputs for your DAW, plus the ability to record without the computer. Just an idea.
Last edited by skipscada on Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Was presonus studio mixer capable for multitrack recording? At least it had usb but I'm not sure if it recorded everything on sd card or was it on pc..

skipscada wrote:If you multiply your budget by 4 or 5: Zoom LiveTrak L-12

Lots of inputs, all available as inputs for your DAW, plus the ability to record without the computer AND a control surface. Just an idea.

sounds tempting, but I can't easily multiply my budget like that, unfortunately... :cry: :x :lol:

will most likely make do with the umc404hd, after all. Their 1820 interface looks more like it could grow with my equipment, but also more than double the price of the umc404hd...

Maybe it'd be worth getting a cheap (6:2?) mixer as well, and use it for the volcas, fold them down onto 2 inputs, and have the rocket on the other 2 or some variation of that.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”