SONiVOX Stratum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Stratum Transwave Synth

jbarish wrote:Has anything ever been good from SONIVOX??? I put them in the same "Better Off Flushing Your $$$ Down the Toilet" category as Sknote, Crysonic, Beatskillz, and SoundSpot.
Sknote ? Nooooo, the products are excellent.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

jbarish wrote:Has anything ever been good from SONIVOX??? I put them in the same "Better Off Flushing Your $$$ Down the Toilet" category
I'm not sure I would go that far, but of all the music software products I have bought so far, that is the only one I actually regret overall. But not in any major way, just in how all the little things add up.

I bought the SONiVOX Premier bundle over a year ago, and that included the Film Score Companion, TimewARP 2600, and a bunch of other stuff.

For starters, they make some claims about some features in the Companion series - Strings, Woodwinds, and Brass. Like how you can use the mod wheel to create dynamic swells.
Each patch and preset is easily playable by virtually every level of performer. All instruments are presented in multi-velocity layers, with natural swells available via the modulation wheel
Not!!!!

So, these are actually some decent orchestral samples, but the interface lacks the playability to make this useful from a performance standpoint. Close, but not quite there. That's the most annoying part. It could have been so much better with just a bit more effort.

There is also a crashing issue with Big Bang Cinematic percussion. There are workarounds for that.

But still, their support seems to be non-existent beyond setup issues. If you bring up bugs, they may be acknowledged, but generally ignored. No updates or service packs have been issued for years. So that is probably why some folks have deemed them rubbish.

Now I didn't pay a whole lot for the bundle, since I got an upgrade deal from a $1 instrument. So at least I probably got my money's worth with TimewARP 2600, and the Eighty-Eight Ensemble, which I do like.

But until they can prove they are fully engaged with their customers, and actively supporting what they have sold, I will vote with my next dollar for companies who do so.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I wonder if this kind of GUI design is a new trend :tu:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synthw ... beatskillz

enCiphered wrote:I wonder if this kind of GUI design is a new trend :tu:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synthw ... beatskillz
Who decided it was a good idea to add distracting screen reflections? I wonder if they've coded mouse-acceleration algorithms that mimic a dirty ball-mouse that doesn't track properly :dog: :dog:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzz00m wrote:But until they can prove they are fully engaged with their customers, and actively supporting what they have sold, I will vote with my next dollar for companies who do so.
Actually, bug fixes now fall on the Qubiq engine, so the real question is, how much do you trust the people behind Qubiq....

nvm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Who decided it was a good idea to add distracting screen reflections? I wonder if they've coded mouse-acceleration algorithms that mimic a dirty ball-mouse that doesn't track properly :dog: :dog:
Just putting the finishing touches on the GUI for my C64 SID VSTi:

mcbpete wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Who decided it was a good idea to add distracting screen reflections? I wonder if they've coded mouse-acceleration algorithms that mimic a dirty ball-mouse that doesn't track properly :dog: :dog:
Just putting the finishing touches on the GUI for my C64 SID VSTi:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Tick wrote:
zzz00m wrote:But until they can prove they are fully engaged with their customers, and actively supporting what they have sold, I will vote with my next dollar for companies who do so.
Actually, bug fixes now fall on the Qubiq engine, so the real question is, how much do you trust the people behind Qubiq....
Well since you asked nicely, I will inform you that the founder and CEO of Qubiq Audio was the founder of SONiVOX. In all fairness that person sold the company to inMusic in 2012, so the support issues of late happened under inMusic. https://www.qubiqaudio.com/about-us

But the new Qubiq products are being marketed and sold under the new SONiVOX (inMusic) label.
https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/ ... wave-synth

So it's kind of like if you buy a Samsung phone. The Android engine is developed by Google, but you must get all of your support and bug fixes from the phone manufacturer, not the creator of the engine. If Samsung ends support for a phone, you cannot call Google for a fix.

I guess time will tell...

zzz00m wrote:Well since you asked nicely, I will inform you that the founder and CEO of Qubiq Audio was the founder of SONiVOX. In all fairness that person sold the company to inMusic in 2012, so the support issues of late happened under inMusic. https://www.qubiqaudio.com/about-us
Dude. Read that page again and check who the 2nd founder is.

Big Tick wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Well since you asked nicely, I will inform you that the founder and CEO of Qubiq Audio was the founder of SONiVOX. In all fairness that person sold the company to inMusic in 2012, so the support issues of late happened under inMusic. https://www.qubiqaudio.com/about-us
Dude. Read that page again and check who the 2nd founder is.
That sounds great! Congrats! I don't have any issue with the technology, and it looks interesting.

It has more to do with support and business issues with inMusic Brands.

I have also been a customer of Alesis and M-Audio (beginning with Midiman) for over 20 years, beginning long before the inMusic era. Since then I have acquired products from AIR, Akai, and SONiVOX.

I think that inMusic has allowed the SONiVOX brand to wither the most, and understandably public opinion has not been kind. It takes a lot to earn trust, but it is easy to lose. And harder to regain.

Wait- SONiVOX released a 64-bit plugin?

Actually, a 63 bit. One bit fell off. It will be stuck back on during the next update.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Actually, a 63 bit. One bit fell off. It will be stuck back on during the next update.
Lol :lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Has anybody received an email from Akai/Air/Sonivox offering Stratum for $9.99?
I think i'm registered for these emails cos i registered Air Creative FX which i received with a midi keyboard.

The thing is: I think it says it's $9.99 for today only. I went to the page and it's Akai Pro site, but it looks a bit dodgy. It even gives the impression that you won't have an account where you can download your software from and get your serials etc, it gives the impression that downloading Stratum is a one time thing and then i have to keep it safe. Is this a legit shop?:
https://akaipro.onfastspring.com/

I quite like Air Creative FX collection. Stratum look like something i would like. I've not had any problems from Air except receiving emails from Akai offering packs for (hardware) MPC i think. I sent Akai 2 emails but no reply. I figured it out that the Akai emails probably originate from registering an Air product. I didn't start receiving the Akai emails until much later after i registered the Air product. I did a search for "stratum" and near the top of the list somebody said "avoid Sonivox at all costs". Also it seem a bit "too good to be true". $9.99 and listed on PB at £175, but i know Air is one of those companys that have high list price then does offers very low.

What do you (anybody) think?

Return to “Instruments”