Best complete bundle for orchestral composing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mir Pro works by having numerous instances of the Fx plugin that all communicate with the other instances and give you one consolidated graphical view to edit them all in one place. I don’t own mirx so I can’t say for sure how it works but my understanding is that mirx gives you pretty much all of the same thing but with presets that are perhaps in some way less editable and no ability to use it with non vsl instruments. But you also get all of the room packs. I suggest you check out you tube videos about it to find out the exact details if you are concerned about it but it was designed pretty much exactly for the purpose you need it for.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

In fact I think what may happen with mirx is that it ends up extending the actual vsl instrument with the mir functionality. But I’m not sure because I use the pro version. Check YouTube and lots of mirx users on vicontrol.

wagtunes wrote:What am I missing?
You’re missing the “MIRx” button in Vienna Instruments. It’s in the reverb section.

Dewdman42 wrote:Mir Pro works by having numerous instances of the Fx plugin that all communicate with the other instances and give you one consolidated graphical view to edit them all in one place. I don’t own mirx so I can’t say for sure how it works but my understanding is that mirx gives you pretty much all of the same thing but with presets that are perhaps in some way less editable and no ability to use it with non vsl instruments. But you also get all of the room packs. I suggest you check out you tube videos about it to find out the exact details if you are concerned about it but it was designed pretty much exactly for the purpose you need it for.
Okay, so let's talk pro version. Simple example.

You have a small orchestra setup.

Violins
Violas
Cellos
French Horns

Each one is on a separate track on your VST.

Okay, so you bring up Violins and load an instance of MIR Pro as an FX insert and then do the same for each of the other 3 instruments.

Now what? You bring up the same preset for each MIR Pro instance and then adjust some pan and depth settings for each instrument?

If that's essentially how it works, then it's still a manual process where you have to setup each instrument exactly the way you want it. In other words, there's no preset that automatically takes your violins and put them in position A and then puts your violas in position B and so on.

Correct? This isn't some automated magical placement program. You're still the one who has to decide where you want each instrument to go and then manually put each instrument in its place.

There are some automatically pulled up presets when I use vsl instruments, it just seems to know. I’m still learning the software. Mir Pro is by design more flexible and I have been messing around with moving things around more so then using built in presets. I will take a look at that today. Again I can’t vouch for mirx. Check YouTube.

Dewdman42 wrote:There are some automatically pulled up presets when I use vsl instruments, it just seems to know. I’m still learning the software. Mir Pro is by design more flexible and I have been messing around with moving things around more so then using built in presets. I will take a look at that today. Again I can’t vouch for mirx. Check YouTube.
Well then it appears that it communicates with the other tracks that are running MIR Pro and automatically takes those tracks instruments and moves them around in the stereo field and applies the proper reverb, etc. Honestly, have no idea how it can do something like but I'll take your word for it and I will check out the Youtube videos, though I doubt they're going to show multiple tracks and how each one interacts with the other. But I'll give it a shot.

I think if you have doubts you should do more homework about it. There are lots of videos and posts on vicontrol, try there.

As I said before mir works as one cohesive thing for the whole project. All the track instances communicate with each other and you are able to see one view that shows all instruments on it and in the case if mir Pro you can edit them all in one place if you want to move them around on the stage. I don’t think I understand your concern but anyway do more homework if you have doubts but for my part I find the software to be brilliant

One last thing I want to point out, however, is that Vsl has probably the most draconian license policy in the world today that you should be aware about. I also waffled for a long time because of this but in the end I decided to go with it.

Basically, not only do you have to use a dongle but if you lose the dongle, it’s considered like you lost your car, poof it’s gone you no longer have that license. As a “courtesy” they will resell you a new license at 50% price. If your dongle is damaged or stops working for any reason then In order to be made whole again you have to send them your dongle in the mail and wait for them to check it out and if they determine you are eligible they will restore a new license for you for a fee which could amount to a few hundred bucks depending on how many licenses were on the dongle.

You’ve been warned

Dewdman42 wrote:I think if you have doubts you should do more homework about it. There are lots of videos and posts on vicontrol, try there.

As I said before mir works as one cohesive thing for the whole project. All the track instances communicate with each other and you are able to see one view that shows all instruments on it and in the case if mir Pro you can edit them all in one place if you want to move them around on the stage. I don’t think I understand your concern but anyway do more homework if you have doubts but for my part I find the software to be brilliant
Ah okay, now I get it. Much better description. So you pull up MIR and it shows you each VSL track that you have set up. So you can really just pull up any instance of it. It's kind of like Neutron 2 where you can pull up one instance and edit the EQ of another track. Now I understand. That is kind of cool.

Anyway, I'm at Youtube now and looking for videos. I'm going to spend the whole day watching them to get a better understanding of how this works. But I think I get it. It's similar to how Neutron 2 works.

Thanks.

Dewdman42 wrote:One last thing I want to point out, however, is that Vsl has probably the most draconian license policy in the world today that you should be aware about. I also waffled for a long time because of this but in the end I decided to go with it.

Basically, not only do you have to use a dongle but if you lose the dongle, it’s considered like you lost your car, poof it’s gone you no longer have that license. As a “courtesy” they will resell you a new license at 50% price. If your dongle is damaged or stops working for any reason then In order to be made whole again you have to send them your dongle in the mail and wait for them to check it out and if they determine you are eligible they will restore a new license for you for a fee which could amount to a few hundred bucks depending on how many licenses were on the dongle.

You’ve been warned
You have GOT to be f**king kidding me.

Okay, never mind. So much for getting any VSL stuff.

That is TOTAL bull shit.

Hehe yes it is. There has been a lot of uproar about it and they say they are trying to come up with a better licensing solution, but they’ve been saying that for a long time. Write to them and express your POV about it. I have. I held off a long time because of exactly that but in the end I decided to put a big labeled keychain on the dongle and just be careful with it because I want to use this fine software, because in the end it’s simply the best at what it is. I don’t blame anyone for saying hell no though. I did for a long time and truthfully I’m still nervous, because I’m the kind of idiot that will probably misplace the dongle at some point.

And yes it’s like neutron

Dewdman42 wrote:Hehe yes it is. There has been a lot of uproar about it and they say they are trying to come up with a better licensing solution, but they’ve been saying that for a long time. Write to them and express your POV about it. I have. I held off a long time because of exactly that but in the end I decided to put a big labeled keychain on the dongle and just be careful with it because I want to use this fine software, because in the end it’s simply the best at what it is. I don’t blame anyone for saying hell no though. I did for a long time and truthfully I’m still nervous, because I’m the kind of idiot that will probably misplace the dongle at some point.

And yes it’s like neutron
You have no idea how disappointed I am. But, on the plus side, that's a couple of thousand dollars richer I'll be.

Make sure to send an email to vsl explaining how they are going to be a few thousand dollars poorer!

Dewdman42 wrote:Make sure to send an email to vsl explaining how they are going to be a few thousand dollars poorer!
f**k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54LMX9_o9Mw

And that’s just one of the venues. The Roompacks have several venues each. Some of the venues are even small rooms more suitable for recording an ensemble or even a rock band. So yes you could use this to add spatial goodness to rock recordings as if you were tracking in abbey road.

Hey I see it this way, I have 4 or 5 keyboards in my studio that I spent thousands on....each....and now they are only worth a few hundred bucks if I could even manage to sell them which isn’t likely.

As long as I don’t lose my vsl dongle I will probably use it for years.

Return to “Instruments”