Glitchmachines anyone?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guys, is anyone using Glitchmachines effect (or also instrument) plugins? Do you think a human being exists, who can create predictable results? I watched some Youtube footage (Cryogen lately), plugins look interesting, people say like "really cool stuff" - but to me it looks untamable and the UIs not helpful. Thoughts?
I don't read about GM here too often, I am guessing their plugins are not being used very often after all.

Yes. Just don't go near the presets. Ivo has an aesthetic that is basically Extreme Noise Terror. But the effects themselves are entirely tameable.

The UI is easier with Quadrant but in some ways the modulation scheme used in some of the other products is more flexible. You can run out of modulation slots quite quickly with Quadrant, though it is very good for setting up complex pitch-shifting delays.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've used Hysteresis on a number of tracks and really dig the things it can do. Some of the effects are pretty extreme, but if you adjust the mix amount or dial down a couple of the parameters, you can really spice up drones or machine noise, or add interesting glitches and character to vocal samples.

I have all their software tools. As mentioned I used them to add some unpredictable vibe to tracks by mixing their effect in. I wouldn't say they are general purpose tools and they require a fair amount of programming to mix in nicely which might be why they dont get talked about a lot.

I don't really use them, because of genre/style...

BUT, there's a simple solution. Bounce down the audio, cut out the bits you like, then use the selected cuts elsewhere in the track. Treat glitch plugins like you would a field recording.

I think that´s a good approach for some of the GM stuff like POLYGON. Resampling as a base for further sound-treatment is perfect here.

The other "machines" like QUADRANT or FRACTURE FX or SUBVERT enable you to dial in (needs some program) very cool rythmic effects into a track. Or you can spice up a drone/ pad (okay in fact every tone-source) with a second layer made by these GM effect. Yes from subtle to totally crazy... :D

with PALINDROME e.g. you could make the base for a complete piece of abstract music. You could make an ever changing soundscape ala musique concrete compositions, record that and than play your instrumental (I would play piano) composition in fitting timing with the PALINDROME soundscape. Awesome stuff is going on here.

Can´t recommend enough! :tu:

I turn the dry / wet mix down a bit when using them as I love the effects but like to keep them subtle for the most part. Same with a lot of effects actually (Tantra, Fault, etc.).

KBSoundSmith wrote:I don't really use them, because of genre/style...

BUT, there's a simple solution. Bounce down the audio, cut out the bits you like, then use the selected cuts elsewhere in the track. Treat glitch plugins like you would a field recording.
i've got a lot of the Glitchmachines plugins and yes, this is what i do, chopped up random is great

I wish there were demos to try. Their plugins interest me but from the audio demos they kinda all sound the same, so I don't know which one to pick... :shrug:

Does Glitchmachines allow licence transfer or refund if I'm not happy with what I buy?

Edit: just found out on the website about the refund: 'All Plugin and Sample Pack purchases are non-refundable.' So basically it's a blind shot and hope for the best, like Audio Damage. Damn I hate that type of business.

They sound how you feed them. The kind of instruments, field recordings or whatever tone-source decides about how GM tools sounds. :)

I have them all. I love them all. I use them all.... You can either know what you're doing or just go crazy, bounce everything to audio and cut the pieces you want to use.

I think I'll dive and get the last one, that seems the most oriented for what I do (textures, weird soundscapes and such): Palindrome.

OMG I thought this year I’ll keep my GAS under control but you guys are deteriorating these intentions! :o

Neon Breath wrote:I wish there were demos to try. Their plugins interest me but from the audio demos they kinda all sound the same, so I don't know which one to pick... :shrug:

Does Glitchmachines allow licence transfer or refund if I'm not happy with what I buy?

Edit: just found out on the website about the refund: 'All Plugin and Sample Pack purchases are non-refundable.' So basically it's a blind shot and hope for the best, like Audio Damage. Damn I hate that type of business.
Actually, Audio Damage has a no questions asked refund policy. So, this is worse than that.

Ivo from Glitchmachines is very polite and you could ask before buying what the possibilities are. They have a support email address on their homepage and normally respond very fast.

Return to “Effects”