Cupwise Nebula release- Nolard Spring Reverb & Tape Delay FX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The spring reverb in this set is very thick and sounds great if you're after that type of sound . Adjustable 'tilt' style EQ and a control to adjust length/fadeout both make it unique in the Nebula world also. As far as I know, this is by far the most 'sculptable' (did i just make up a word?) reverb for Nebula yet. You can really shape the sound to suit your mix. Adjust the EQ towards 'bassy' gives you a HUGE sound (check the demo programs and see for yourself).

I've also further refined my system of providing various quality options with this release. One problem with nebula reverbs has always been CPU use, but here, the 'lite' programs allow you to run several in your DAW at once, if your CPU is even 'fairly' modern. That means you can adjust the controls (EQ, length/fade, feedback) on all of them to suit the context of your mix perfectly. Then when you want to render, just switch the programs over to a higher quality level (I give a tip for a relatively painless way of doing this in the manual, which you can look at from the site). The full length goes up to 10 seconds, but there are also 5 second programs provided as yet another way of minimizing CPU use according to your needs.

Then there is the tape delay. You have 20 selectable delay effects to choose from, all within the same program. They sound different because they used different tape speeds and EQ settings. 1-10 are single tap echos which were sampled using one playback head on the hardware, and they each add about 30ms to the delay time as you go up through them. 11-16 used 2 playback heads on the unit, for a double-tap echo, and 17 and 18 used all 3 heads for triple-tap echo. 19 and 20 are special ones I made by reversing the impulses from 2 of the single-tap ones, and with some audio going in, they give you an effect kind of like a quick reverse reverb leading into the sound.

You can use a quick single tap to get some really awesome vocal (or whatever) doubling effects, or a slower one with feedback to get endless, mutating repeating echo effects! The feedback control can give you some pretty awesome results, if you take the time to tune it just right (you could also automate it). The faster multi-tap echos can give you something almost like a reverb, with feedback applied.

Anyway this is probably my favorite of my releases in a while. Check out the demo program and read the text with it to see what that limitations with it are. I think the demos still sound pretty great, but the full versions are much more authentic. The higher quality reverb and delay programs in the full set have pretty high sample counts, which is due to the complexity of their design, and where their more lively sound comes from. The demo programs have very few samples.. but still sound pretty good!

check out the set here!

Audio demo clips are not up yet, but I am working on getting them up within a few hours... but really the demo programs are the best way to check this stuff out.
Last edited by Cupwise on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

audio clips are up. i think the delay ones show that even though you are limited to the 20 delay effects, the delay side of the set is very useable and can sound great. you can use them in at least 3 different ways- for doubling, repeating echos, or as a kind of fake echo.

http://www.cupwise.com/fx/shop/nolard-5 ... ape-delay/

just sent out emails for a new update of this library- still my most popular reverb release to date. it started with me mainly wanting to move the programs to my new category where i'm placing almost all of my spring reverbs (except bee x20)- CS9 and CS4, for Cupwise Springs 96khz and 44.1khz respectively. i've been making the effort to group as much of my similar types of programs together lately, which i think is better for ease of use.

anyway i started looking at the programs to see if i could make any improvements beyond just that, and it kind of spiraled into a pretty big update. here's the info:

*Standard and full version of the main reverb have been reduced down to just a full version. So now there's only lite and full. Full version has 4k, where it used to have I think 8k. I looked at the harmonics closer and saw that above 4k they're just too low in level to really be noticed (over 90-100dB below fundamental).

*Programs have been moved to a new location inside Nebula- CS9 and CS4 (96khz and 44.1khz sample rates respectively). CS for 'Cupwise Springs', and this location is where a some of my other spring reverb libraries are also placed, grouping several similar reverbs together in one spot. The tape delay programs have been moved to 'TT9' and 'TT4', which is the 'Super Time Tube + Analog Delays' category. If you have my Super Time Tube library, you'll find many analog delay related programs in that folder (the Pioneer SR60 library is found there also and has more delays). So I think this is the best place for the tape delays.

*Lite versions of reverb programs have been rebuilt, fixing an issue with some of my reverbs that I only recently figured out how to solve. The old lite programs sounded different from the full versions in an unintentional way. Now they should be closer in sound to the full versions.

*In the past there were 5 and 10 second versions for each of lite, full, and standard. Now I've combined the lite versions with the 5 second versions, since they both kind of had the same point anyway (lowering CPU use). The reverb tails after 5 seconds are already very quiet if not totally inaudible in many cases, so it makes sense to have the lite versions cut off around the 5 second mark to help lower CPU. Removing the separate 5 and 10 second options helps reduce clutter in the menus and makes things less confusing.

*All reverb programs have had their max lengths lowered down to 8.5 seconds instead of 10. The last 1.5 seconds was just very, very low level, low frequency rumbling. In just about any normal usage circumstances, you would never actually hear it, so it just isn't needed. This helps lower CPU use.

*Reduced the sample count by about half for the fundamental in the full version of the main reverb program. I just had a lot of dynamic steps in the older version, too many. Having so many doesn't really add anything to the sound but does increase CPU and RAM use. So reducing the number of samples brought CPU/RAM down a bit. Also, the 96khz full version of the main reverb can now be loaded by 32bit versions of Nebula because of this reduction. In the past they wouldn't load in 32bit Nebulas.

*I've added a version of the reverb programs without the fade control. Doing this lowers CPU use down by about 1/3, and RAM as well. With this version, you obviously don't get the fade control but you still have the EQ control (or the pseudo stereo selector). You can go into the 'kern' page and shorten the length (of the h1 kern) there, as well as apply a little fadeout so it still smoothly fades out. This actually gives you the most control, even if it is a little inconvenient. I really wish acustica just allowed me to bring the kern length and kern fade to the front panel as main controls, but it was never possible. Anyway, you should use this version of the program if you know you don't want the fade control, since it uses less CPU. You get lite and full versions of this new program as well, so the lite version of this one uses the lowest amount of CPU for this library.

*Changed the readout for the reverb level control in the pseudo stereo reverbs to range from -25 to +25 dB, like the other reverbs (it was formerly 0 to 25, which was actually incorrect).

*Some level irregularities between the different dynamic steps of the main reverb have been fixed. They could sometimes result in the level strangely going up and down in response to the input. Kind of hard to explain but now it's fixed.

*Rebalanced the level differences across the EQ control in the reverb programs. Now as you turn that control, the reverb level should be more consistent. Well, it actually depends on the freq content of your input, but with white noise it gives fairly consistent levels across the control.

*Rebalanced the levels across the different tape delay selections.

*Renamed the 'standard' tape program to 'full' just to be consistent.

*Manual was gone over and a lot of it was re-written, to address any of the above changes and improve some of the wording.

Great update thanks

JPN has finished some really nice skins for this library, and i also did some more updates to the programs. i'm sending out emails with the info now so if you bought this in the past (and a lot of people did, i think this is my all-time top selling reverb library), and haven't got that email within a day at most of me posting this, get in contact with me! i have to send the update emails out kind of slow so my webhost doesn't think i'm spamming. but definitely you should have the email within one day of this post.

you can see the N4 skin here.

here's the updates:

*Awesome new skins added, created by JPN. Both N3 and N4.

*The reverb level control didn't also adjust the level for the harmonics (along with the reverb itself) in the past (it should have), now it does.

*In the main, full spring reverbs (not the pseudo stereo ones), the harmonics levels were adjusted to be more authentic to the hardware (for both versions- with and without the fadeout control).

*Harmonics impulses have also been shortened in length which probably reduced CPU use a little (probably barely noticeable).

*The word 'spring' was dropped from the spring program names (which you won't see if you're using the N3 skins). This allows me to not have to abbreviate the pseudo stereo programs and makes the program list look nicer in the menu.

*The tape delay program(s) has been improved in sound quality, similarly to how I updated my cassette deck 1 and 2 libraries a while back improving their sound. A kind of 'brittleness' has been removed which was due to the wow/flutter of the tape motor causing errors with NAT (sampling program). I've also removed harmonic kerns 4 and 5 from the full tape delay program, because they were so low in level that they didn't really contribute anything. Removing them improves load times, ram, CPU use.

Return to “Effects”