Cockos Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

It's version 5.80 now, any idea when one can buy version 6? I am basically waiting for the switch, because waiting just a few more weeks can translate to 2 more years of free updates...

Nobody knows, v6 is not even in prerelease section yet. It'll happen when it happens. It could be a month, it could be half a year, it could be a year. Prerelease cycle for v5.0 was over half a year long.

And could I already order it during the pre-release period?
After all, I don't really care if I use 5.XX or 6.XX, I just want to buy it at the ideal moment - and get rid of the nag screen during startup :hihi:

You should not waist your mental energy for that question. I you pay earlier, they get version 7 ready earlier with all those features you waited for so long... Its worth to support them if you use it! I support for example Ardour, as I occasionally use it. I do not pay a price for a product, I support the developement of a product. Same would be with Reaper, we need more developers like that, which don't waiste their mental energy for capitalist thinking, to burn your hard earned money in creating copy protection schemes...

To make it short, you pay in the moment when you become grateful...

I think your logic regarding timing and versions is flawed.
Plus, if I were rich, I would indeed not care and just buy it now. But I am not rich and thus have to think efficiently. And when they get my money a few weeks from now, it is still better for Cockos than my sticking with Mulab and not paying for their product at all.
And no, I am currently not using it anymore, because the trial period is over and I do have a conscience. I just had to check something yesterday, which is why I launched it for a minute or so.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think your logic regarding timing and versions is flawed.
;-) they get all versions from 6.0 to 25.87 ready earlier...
Of course it looks you get more bucks for the bang if you buy version 6.0, but you waist time waiting for it which could well be worth 60$ especially if you are poor.
I would certainly prefer Ardour over a free Mulab btw... You can't beat that price/performance ratio...

I thought of Ardour for a while when I considered getting Linux for my new computer.

I am using the full, paid version of Mulab, so I am covered until Reaper 6 comes along. And who knows, maybe Mulab 8 will be launched before Reaper 6 and finally make me happy so that I won't get Reaper at all...

In terms of logic, if I get 6.0, I will be covered for about 4 years, if I get 5.8 now and they release 6.0 soon after, I am only covered for about 2 years.

fluffy_little_something wrote:And could I already order it during the pre-release period?
No, you only buy official versions. So until v6.0 is official, v5.xx is for sale.
fluffy_little_something wrote:In terms of logic, if I get 6.0, I will be covered for about 4 years, if I get 5.8 now and they release 6.0 soon after, I am only covered for about 2 years.
That's a fallacy, because nobody knows how long one large version number is going to be around and how many subversions it will have. It could be that v6 takes a long time. i.e. from v4.0 to v5.0 was 4 years, whereas from v3.0 to v4.0 was a bit more than 2 years.

I bought Reaper 4.40 at... 2013?

5 years worth of Reaper for insane low price. Would be totally worth it even with full price.

Found this data in a thread on the Cockos forum,
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195032 :

v5.0... - August 2015 - now
v4.0-v4.78 - August 2011 - May 2015
v3.0-v3.78 - May 2009 - August 2011
v2.0-v2.58 - October 2007 - March 2009
v1.0-v1.888 - August 2006 - August 2007
v0.2-v0.999 - December 2005 - July 2006

I think v6 should be out very soon, the .80 version number also suggests so.
Are their beta tests public or internal?

Any idea is there's talk of abandoning the horrendous vst window wrapper in v 6?

An y way to assign a shortcut to save fxp preset?

The were the things that bothered me Las time I evaluated it.

Reaper Missionary :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No auto tune...

LOL... Now that's funny : )
the missionary position...

urlwolf wrote:Any idea is there's talk of abandoning the horrendous vst window wrapper in v 6?
Probably not happening. Ever.
urlwolf wrote:Any way to assign a shortcut to save fxp preset?
Nope, not possible yet.

urlwolf wrote:Any idea is there's talk of abandoning the horrendous vst window wrapper in v 6?
Can't be sure, but I'm guessing you are just opening the FX chain view every time you are operating a plugin GUI. If you have the option enabled for auto-floating plugin windows, they look like this:

Pardon my classic Windows theme :D. But the way the plugin GUI and host parameter control etc. is presented... isn't that obtrusive at all, imo.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”