Problem with AU crashing Logic X

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also if it only crashes with your user account, you could try searching inside ~/Library for something (like settings or whatever) with the plugin name... and then if you find something, try to rename it to some temporary name (so the plugin can't find it) to see if it helps.

mystran wrote:Also if it only crashes with your user account, you could try searching inside ~/Library for something (like settings or whatever) with the plugin name... and then if you find something, try to rename it to some temporary name (so the plugin can't find it) to see if it helps.
I did do this. I used Path Finder to search my system for smartEQlive and deleted every match, rebooted, reinstalled... same problem. This is a doozie. Thanks Apple. :tu: :party:

I deleted Logic from my system a while back. For some unexplainable reason it is the only DAW that cannot handle Audio Units well. Massively disappointing.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote:I deleted Logic from my system a while back. For some unexplainable reason it is the only DAW that cannot handle Audio Units well. Massively disappointing.
In general, this is a common problem with Apple products: there are many uncommon issues. I can't tell you how many times I've posted about a problem with Logic and I get a barage of people telling me they don't have the problem I have. It's like people think their own experience is the experience of everyone. Stupid humans. I don't have you problem. But I have other problems. :phones:

Old mac pros make nice shiny linux servers, perfect machine to run subversion :lol:
~stratum~

stratum wrote:Old mac pros make nice shiny linux servers, perfect machine to run subversion :lol:
Too slow for SVN server :-) You need at least Xeon if you do not want to wait for SVN submit to take too much time.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
stratum wrote:Old mac pros make nice shiny linux servers, perfect machine to run subversion :lol:
Too slow for SVN server :-) You need at least Xeon if you do not want to wait for SVN submit to take too much time.
8 outdated Xeon cores are just about perfect :party:
~stratum~

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Even with a Xeon it's going to take so long that you have plenty of time to learn to use git while you're waiting. ;)

edit: not only are some SVN operations really slow, when I wrote a little web-based repository browser for it (years ago), at least back then the API would additionally force you to loop the slow path just to fetch some basic revision info for navigation purposes (eg. which is probably why most repository browsers for SVN just don't do any of it)
Last edited by mystran on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask them for a (crippled) debug build and when it crashes you will find out what is happening.

Youlean wrote:Ask them for a (crippled) debug build and when it crashes you will find out what is happening.
I will ask them for this after my TM backup completes and I can try the permissions repair stuff in the link I posted. If that doesn't work I will ask them. But I've already been bugging them about this problem and they haven't offered a debug version. We'll see.... :phones:

plexuss wrote:
Youlean wrote:Ask them for a (crippled) debug build and when it crashes you will find out what is happening.
I will ask them for this after my TM backup completes and I can try the permissions repair stuff in the link I posted. If that doesn't work I will ask them. But I've already been bugging them about this problem and they haven't offered a debug version. We'll see.... :phones:
OK. Let them know that this is happening on GUI open, inside CMDAudioUnit::MakeEditorView(long, TGroupID). They can remove all DSP and registration stuff if they are afraid that you will leak debug version and that cracker will make use of it.
Last edited by Youlean on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did you try removing all other 3rd party plugins, apart from smartEQlive, in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and /Users/[you]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components? Or disable them via Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plug-In Manager?

gnjp wrote:Did you try removing all other 3rd party plugins, apart from smartEQlive, in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and /Users/[you]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components? Or disable them via Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plug-In Manager?
I just tried this. smartEQlive crashed Logic in the same way. It was the only AU in the Components folder. I move the AUs to different folder, rebooted, start up Logic and when I opened smartEQlive it crashed Logic. Any other things I can try? I really want to get this to work.

As you said it ran ok under a new user account, it might be quicker to just do a reformat and a completely clean install of everything - not from a backup, as this will just bring your problem back.

gnjp wrote:As you said it ran ok under a new user account, it might be quicker to just do a reformat and a completely clean install of everything - not from a backup, as this will just bring your problem back.
Yes that would likely work. However the effort to do this just to get this one plugin working is at the moment not in the cards. I will just add it to my list of things I hate about Apple and use it to fuel the emotional effort required in moving to a completely different platform at some point in the future.

It's truly bizarre that some niggling file somewhere is causing only this plugin to not work. Testimony to the deterioration of OSX as a viable robust platform - now it's no better than Windoze. :phones:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”