Considering getting a 2012 Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested in switching from my Windows 7, i7 860 based desktop to a 2012 Mac Mini with an i7, 16GB of Ram, and an SSD.
I'd get something newer but Mac's are terribly expensive.

I use Ableton & NI Komplete 11.

Is the 2012 Mac Mini too antiquated, or is it still a worthwhile machine for audio production? I don't need it for anything but audio production since my Windows machine still works great.

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: I should note that I already have a dual monitor setup I want to be able to utilize and I want to have SSD's in any Mac I get. I have an SSD in my Windows system and I'm spoiled by it.
Last edited by Lofiluke on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depends on the price, but it's quite antiquated to pay much for it and it's basically glorified laptop, will overheat and all that jazz, better get Mac Pro, even 2008 Eight Core will give you similar performance and I saw them going for 200-250 bucks.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I had a 2012 Mac Mini QC until earlier this year. It was a great entry point into Mac. These are due for refresh soon so you might get an even better deal once those are released if rumors prove true.

You’re really going to benefit from an SSD or hybrid drive if you need to save a little more.

I was able to use all of the major VSTs with minimal issues.

If future-proofing is of any concern it should be at least a LATE 2012 Mac Mini. The upcoming macOS 10.14 doesn't support Sandy Bridge and earlier Macs due to the lack of Metal graphics support. The 2010/2012 Mac Pros are an exception as the cards can be upgraded in those.

And really, whether you want to or not you WILL have to upgrade your OS at some stage. That's part of the Apple life.
Image Image Image Image

+1
Calculate the cost per year of different options, to see if newer will be cheaper over its lifetime.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

maybe consider a hackintosh as well.

sprnva wrote:If future-proofing is of any concern it should be at least a LATE 2012 Mac Mini. The upcoming macOS 10.14 doesn't support Sandy Bridge and earlier Macs due to the lack of Metal graphics support. The 2010/2012 Mac Pros are an exception as the cards can be upgraded in those.

And really, whether you want to or not you WILL have to upgrade your OS at some stage. That's part of the Apple life.
also be aware that earlier mac minis (pre-2014) can’t drive a 4K screen - limit of the HD4000 graphics

Even the current (2014) mac mini isn’t a very attractive proposition due to it’s aging hardware and lack of quad core cpus - better off looking for a good deal on a used 15” (QC) macbook pro (even if it’s only ever going to be hooked to external monitors and used as a ‘desktop’)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”