Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I played with Fathom and i would like to be able to automate the 2D Control Pads.

OK, I'll try to get that into the next release.

Awesome !
A lot of classic virtual synth have macro control like massive, alchemy.
Could you add 8 knobs to use as macro ?
it allows the sound designer to select eight modulation to be used with automation or hardware controller.
Now, i have to assign my controller each time i change preset :-(

Interesting, it sounds like you need some sort of a default configuration for modulations and/or host automated parameters.

Give me some more details for the exact scenario and I'll see if I can add a save default button somewhere.

the scenario is :
add eight knobs in the central panel in a new tab called macro
add those knobs as source in the modulation matrix

now, i can add 1 to 8 knobs to my automation, assign them to a preset and keep them assigned each time i load this preset

carrieres wrote:the scenario is :
add eight knobs in the central panel in a new tab called macro
add those knobs as source in the modulation matrix

now, i can add 1 to 8 knobs to my automation, assign them to a preset and keep them assigned each time i load this preset

The front Panels provide 4 now by using XY x 2.

Fathom is a bit different from Massive and Alchemy in that it doesn't have a fixed architecture.

We I first started using Fathom, I thought I would make a bunch of templates but the realized that it becomes quite limiting. Because if I change he filter type my modulations are removed with the filter.

One of the things I also tried was to include a bunch of components by default and remove what I didn't use. For example.6 OSC of different types, 6 filters, 2 delays and a Rev.. Create the typical modulations for each.

It worked but a bit confusing. The new feature of hovering over a parameter and seeing the modulator light up helps greatly.

Again the front panel controls offer alot. I xo like the idea if a performance page with macros though.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I like the idea of having performance macro (or "Smart") knobs. That way the patch designer can assign each of them to the most relevant internal parameters on a per patch basis. That works best when a synth has thousands of possible choices, but the most important for performance can be linked to those 8 knobs (or however many there are).

Then the user only has to map his controller to those 8 knobs, and just be aware of the changes from patch to patch (the active parameter can be displayed next to the knob). No need to re-assign controllers separately for each patch.

A few examples with a useful implementation of this feature can be found in these instruments, for example: AIR Loom; iZotope Iris 2; KV331 SynthMaster 2; Steinberg Halion Sonic; Tracktion Biotek; etc.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:
The front Panels provide 4 now by using XY x 2.
OK, I get how to assign the front panel modulation control pads X-Y to internal parameters...

The part I am still missing is how to connect those X-Y panels (or any other parameter) to my external MIDI controller for use with MIDI CC. I can use with a mouse, but I find that rather limiting.

I tried within a couple of DAWs, and only saw some generic Fathom parameters 0-31, that didn't seem to do anything. There should be parameters available in the host for automation and control surface mapping.

Maybe I am just missing something here?

zzz00m wrote:OK, I get how to assign the front panel modulation control pads X-Y to internal parameters...

No, look at the top of this page, this is my first request, already acknowledged by Everett :D

carrieres wrote:
zzz00m wrote:OK, I get how to assign the front panel modulation control pads X-Y to internal parameters...

No, look at the top of this page, this is my first request, already acknowledged by Everett :D
OK, thanks, must have missed that!

I was thinking here in terms of control surface mapping, rather than automation. But that request should cover both.

zzz00m wrote:
carrieres wrote:

OK, thanks, must have missed that!

I was thinking here in terms of control surface mapping, rather than automation. But that request should cover both.
yes, with ableton, if you can automate it, you can assign it :tu:

OK, so I got my orange lines, they look nice, thanks.
Just spotted 2 things though.

1. Did you forget to make the button highlighted so we know where we are?
Look down to the bottom left. I am in the "Parameters" tab, but it is not obvious.

2. Typing in a value into the RGB sliders just results in maximum value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

This thing just keeps looking better and better. Great with a dev so interested in nice graphics! :tu:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark, thanks!

jmg8,

1. Button current page highlight, sorry, I will try to get that into this release.
2. That is a hex translation bug and will be fixed before the release.

I missed some posts above, will read back into the thread later today.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:party: Fathom Friday

Pro Version $12.00

2.15 Wave Table Oscillator will have 3D Graphs ..
fathom 3DC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”