Was FT2 YOUR first DAW????

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FT2 is still great. People are still doing amazing things with it. For purely old school tracking stuff I'm using OpenMPT these days, though.

bbtr wrote:What's wrong with Renoise, Buzz and OpenMPT?
What's wrong with SunVox or MadTracker? It's just a matter of preference. Why would someone use FT2 over these modern trackers?... maybe they don't need a modern tracker. Maybe they just need to sample some external gear that they have. Maybe it's a comfort thing. Maybe it's the interface. Maybe it's Nibbles ;) Maybe everyone has their own reasons, whatever the reasons are... there's plenty of people still having lots of fun with old tools. For a lot of people they just get things done better in it. I can tell you that all of the people making chiptunes with it don't need anything else. For them it's the right tool.

I really think the subject line kind of says it all. I didn't write this post to try to get people to switch to FT2... this thread is meant for people that have used it in the past. I was letting them know of a better clone than Milky. It wasn't my first, second, or even third DAW. I haven't even used it that much in the past, since I didn't have any good audio interface that works with DOS. I'll be using it more now, though. There's just a fun factor to it. It's like making music with an oldschool video game.

EDIT: Just in case anyone loves OPL3 as much as I do... after over 20 years RAD2 was just released a couple months ago, with support for OPL3, runs on windows (has its own emulator too if you don't have an FM card) as well as DOS.
In the future there will be robots!

No, but my first encounter with any sort of music creation program would have been in 1986 on an Atari 800 XL, which my brother had programmed in basic and assembly code. Before I got my first Amiga's (the 500 & 1200), I had used various sequencers on the Atari Mega ST I had, which I don't remember the name of. On the Amiga 500, the first program I ever loaded on the machine was Sound Tracker, as producing music was the primary reason for buying one....With the exception of Music X, I had pretty much every other music creation program from Bars & Pipes, Pro Tracker's, Algomusic, and even a TB303 clone program which was like a VST instrument, long before VST's even became a thing.

In terms of really getting down and producing full music compositions, several minutes in length and laying the foundations in how to compose, the program I used regularly was Octamed Sound Studio. With this, I began composing with just 4 audio channels of the Paula chip, and from there into 16 Channel Midi sequencing external keyboard synthesizers.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Fasttracker II in 1996 making drums with some shabby samples for my tunes.
Great times!

I just saw that video for the first time a few weeks ago... it was highly entertaining. I have actually been setting up a C64 to sample from for a while now piece by piece. I even got this https://www.mssiah.com/ ... but it turns out my joystick port is wonky and I have to buy a new controller chip I think. When I'm done with this C64 I'm going to burn it I swear.

I wouldn't call it a DAW, but trackers were my first real musical composition tool.

While I technically started on the similar-to-trackers concept (but utterly different UI) "Music" program on Tandy Deskmate, and "The Music Studio" published by Activision, my progression was as follows:

MOD Edit 2 -> Multitracker Editor(?) -> Composer 669 -> FastTracker 2 -> MOD Plug Tracker -> Renoise (where I had stopped making tracker music and moved to linear timeline multitrack MIDI/audio DAWs, starting with Cakewalk Pro Audio).

The last time I looked at MOD Edit's interface, I was shocked that I ever managed to create any music at all with it. I don't have the patience for trackers any more, but they're a part of my emotional bond to computer music.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

THE INTRANCER wrote:and even a TB303 clone program which was like a VST instrument, long before VST's even became a thing.
Would that be Rubber Duck?

My 1st DAW was Modplug Tracker. :tu:

It was my second, I started with Modedit. I was so productive in the 90's that sometimes I still reach back for old tracks to put some 8 bit fun in my newer stuff. Many of those old samples have that special crunch and aliasing I just love - bassdrums, snares, basses, bells, keys... I use OpenMPT but a real FT2 clone sounds very cool with quite some nostalgia! I must check this out.

My first was Pro-12 on an Atari ST ... played lots of gigs with that. I later got Pro-24, then Cubase (for Atari), before Acid Pro then Live on PC. I've never used a tracker ...

Not the first, but it was the environment in which I rehearsed beat slicing and sample editing and rhythmic flow the most back in the day :)

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/48666mh ... al/s-1aOjR

486 and MS-DOS, aahh!

Nice :tu:

Beat slicing is one of the main reasons why I'm still often using trackers.

I'm sure I played around with FT1 at first but FT2 was my workhorse for years and my fingers still know the hotkeys :lol:

I tried this new clone and it seems completely authentic as far as I can tell. No more messing about with DOSBOX and latency :party:

here's a heads up to a cool artist who uses it (and others)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgMVjIbjFaV ... fornaxvoid
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

my first album was made in FT2.

I would compose in FT2, then play the MOD file in Modplugtracker and render each musical part seperately with added VST effects, then mix the multiple tracks together in something called Multiquence. It totally maxed out my CPU but it was a satisfying workaround to create a good mix from MOD files

happy memories!
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”