Do you still use abandoned vsts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not joking ... it won't be that long until people start driving up the price of old PC's that are still running these old VST's. I didn't think I would see the day when all this old analog gear people were RUNNING to get away from would be in vogue again, but here we are ... tape hiss, bad connectors, high noise floor, taking pictures of your synth patches so you can remake them .. all of it is back. Some day down the road people are going to be bidding top dollar for old PC's that have old versions of Windows / MacOS that have old versions of licensed DAW's with old plugins, so they can get that authentic vintage 1990's VST sound lol. I kid you not. They'll be on the boards bragging about the Windows 95 box they found, just like it was an old scratched up worn acoustic guitar lol, and swearing there's no other way to get that authentic early digital sound lol.

Gone soft wrote:
EnGee wrote:Till few months ago I was using VAZ Modular from time to time, but I began to have problems with it inside Reaper 5 (32bit as I don't use bridges), so recently I didn't bother to install it or any 32bit host/VST. Pity though, as I really like its sound and CPU usage. It is a very capable synth :(
What sort of problems? I've found it still runds fine in Reaper for me on Windows 10.

VAZ Modular is the only I can think of immidiately and I find it's still unique in so many manners, though somewhat showing it's age in a few of the modules. There's a bunch of plugins I haven't bothered reinstalling but will do whenever I start missing any of them.
Some error messages when I try to load VAZ Modular. I don't remember now exactly about what, but I'll install both soon to try and report back.

EnGee wrote:
mevla wrote:
Still, Saxlab is incredible ! Thank you for mentioning LinPlug. Other of their synths like CrX and Spectral and Morphox are quite interesting also.
I also like those mentioned from LinPlug in addition to Albino of course, but I don't have any of them!

I'm demoing SaxLab now and mostly I will buy it soon as I love the Saxophone sound, which seems discontinued in Pop music these days :( Thanks for the reminder
I should add that I got a prompt email reply from Peter at LinPlug : excellent service.

Cheers.

Oh wow! VAZ Modular is still Alive and kicking in my PC now! :D

I have installed the latest Reaper 32bit and then installed VAZ Modular, then loaded it, and no error messages :) Well, I don't know if it is Windows 10 update in the past or Reaper old version, but it plays and sounds great! It seems I also have 32bit versions installed of Battery 3, Addictive Drums and Keys, and also Analog Lab! That is more than enough for any minimalist I think :hihi:

Well, thanks for this thread to make me try again (Gone Soft especially). I have a new lovely setup and I think I will spend the night with it!

@mevla:
It seems this thread will make my nostalgia very high tonight! Yes, Peter is a very nice and a friendly developer. I hope he is doing fine with his main job.

Fxpansion - DR-008 love it, still a great drum machine

emef wrote:Fxpansion - DR-008 love it, still a great drum machine
One of that one's free siblings was one of the first VST i ever used: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dr_002_by_fxpansion

Never quite got over the happy pill GUI though. :P

low_low wrote: Some day down the road people are going to be bidding top dollar for old PC's that have old versions of Windows / MacOS that have old versions of licensed DAW's with old plugins, so they can get that authentic vintage 1990's VST sound lol. I kid you not.
I've still got one of my old DAWs laying around that's running WinXP full of 32 bit plugins. Bidding starts at $3,000..... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
low_low wrote: Some day down the road people are going to be bidding top dollar for old PC's that have old versions of Windows / MacOS that have old versions of licensed DAW's with old plugins, so they can get that authentic vintage 1990's VST sound lol. I kid you not.
I've still got one of my old DAWs laying around that's running WinXP full of 32 bit plugins. Bidding starts at $3,000..... :lol:
Anyone want an old 386? If it's still gathering dust that is.

I have a fully functional Win 98 machine (Pentium @133 MHz IIRC) that actually gets used every now and then. Must be worth at least a gazillion bucks at today's prices.

Other gems for sale include (from memory):
Various old CD drives from when they were first a thing
An ISA graphics card
20+ year old network adapters
An assortment of keyboards with a DIN 5 connector

Yours for the bargain price of $ 15,000 for the lot.

Not for sale: A fully functional Amiga 500 (1 MB) + MIDI interface and OctaMED.

Has anyone mentioned SQ8L? I just jumped to the end of the thread. Man, that plug sounds incredible! It totally sounds like the late 80s-early 90s to me (Legendary Pink Dots, anyone?). Just an incredible reproduction of the old Ensoniq hardware SQ80. It's a shame that it was never developed further but hey, it's free and all good if you are on a Windows machine. That, and the old Albino plug (also free), are well worth one's time
Last edited by W23 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

W23 wrote:Has anyone mentioned SQ8L?
Yes. I did.

Here (at the end of the list)
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

This is an interesting thread as I’ve been demoing Linplug Spectral and it’s amazing! I’m so tempted to buy it but am worried that Apple does an Apple move and it will no longer work...

simmo75 wrote:This is an interesting thread as I’ve been demoing Linplug Spectral and it’s amazing! I’m so tempted to buy it but am worried that Apple does an Apple move and it will no longer work...
There's only one workaround for that.

chk071 wrote:
simmo75 wrote:This is an interesting thread as I’ve been demoing Linplug Spectral and it’s amazing! I’m so tempted to buy it but am worried that Apple does an Apple move and it will no longer work...
There's only one workaround for that.

Ha ha! :clap:

chk071 wrote: There's only one workaround for that.
[Removed photo, two times are enough :D ]

I just got CrX4 and Saxlab2 from LinPlug and demoed Spectral, which I might get a bit later as it also sounds very good, and I run them all ... in Linux.

Actually, all of the recordings in my soundcloud page (links below) are produced in Linux.

Cheers.
Last edited by mevla on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:There's only one workaround for that.

Why thank you Bill for the introduction.

Return to “Instruments”