FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher2

wagtunes wrote:The specs say Windows 10. No mention of Windows 7. My guess is that it won't work on Windows 7 or, at best, won't work well.
working great here on Windows 7

Win7 or not, this release definitely made me remember what GAS feels like. Actually I'm highly interested both in Cypher and Strobe, FM + high quality analog modelling which must cover most my synth needs. I wonder if they are planning to make a bundle or something.

But on the other hand I have Bazille which seems to cover more or less the same area as Cypher, at least on paper. And Strobe, isn't it somehow based on SH-101? For some reason I thought it was, maybe I'm wrong. Then I have Lush-101 and Tal 101 doing the same thing.

Well, GAS is GAS ....
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Strange to hear reports of high cpu use. Wasn’t one of the main improvements noted in the original thread about cypher 2 coming that it was many times more cpu efficient than v1?

Still on the fence on this one, but I'm kinda getting close to grabbing it with my Roli discount.
Ive wanted to love fxpansion synths for years, on paper they have everything I want in a synth but somehow the sound of them have never connected with me. I.e Strobe2.. I couldn't believe how much I didn't like using it, despite reeeally wanting to.

I love the transmod system and Mpe fully integrated so well in a synth. But yeah somehow every time I demo them I feel un-inspired to delve.
But cypher is a bit different, I only played for 30 mins with the demo today but it gave me a lot better impression than strobe, will continue to play around and see if Gas will get the better of me.

Oh this is win7 btw for anyone in doubt.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Strange to hear reports of high cpu use. Wasn’t one of the main improvements noted in the original thread about cypher 2 coming that it was many times more cpu efficient than v1?

I don't think version 1 was even playable at 8x. Version 1 allowed 1x, remember this one starts at 2x oversampling.

That being said, as BobS I beleived mentioned, Angus does have plans to lower cpu usage for all.

rsp
sound sculptist

lastmessiah wrote:When I checkout with the Roli discount I have 3 different offers available to me:

Cypher2 Upgrade (from DCAM Synth Squad) Offer ? $99 $79
Cypher2 Upgrade (from Strobe2) Offer ? $99 $79
Cypher2 Player Upgrade Offer ? $199 $79

Any idea which one I'm supposed to grab?
Hi there, feel free to choose any of these! With you having DCAM Synth Squad and Strobe2 licenses you're eligible for multiple offers...they'll each get you the same, full version of Cypher2.

I have not installed it yet... is the memory leak a serious problem (prevents to use Cypher)? Does someone got feedback or knows if this was confirmed by the devs?

lastmessiah wrote:
deastman wrote:If I can just step away from all the Windows 7 complaints for a moment, I have to say that this appears to be a great synth. I jumped on the Roli discount this morning, and I can’t wait to experience the MPE love tonight! Roli/Fxpansion are almost singlehandedly moving expressive controllers into the mainstream, providing and promoting not only the hardware but the synths, the DAW, the development framework, the protocol, and the industry partnerships to make it happen. Great work on Cypher2! :tu:
I'm hoping this is a long partnership with future releases of MPE-capable versions of Geist, Tremor, BFD, etc.
Out of interest, why would you want MPE-capable BFD? I absolutely get the use-case for Geist, Tremor, et. al. But not sure I fully get it for BFD.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

4damind wrote:I have not installed it yet... is the memory leak a serious problem (prevents to use Cypher)? Does someone got feedback or knows if this was confirmed by the devs?
The developer is on much needed vacation currently, but certainly a few beta testers have confirmed it in the official beta forum.

I myself have been using it for weeks and didn't even notice the issue, so I would say it doesn't prevent it from being used.
But my two systems have 16 and 32GB of Ram so maybe that's why I never noticed it.
rsp
sound sculptist

recursive one wrote:But on the other hand I have Bazille which seems to cover more or less the same area as Cypher, at least on paper.
I like bazille a lot but cypher is quite a bit more capable in many ways: more filter types, more wave shaping options, more effect types, more sequencers and it's obviously been designed from the ground up to work well with MPE. The patch cable approach means that with bazille complex modulations are quite tricky (and you quickly run out of mults and/or mixers), whereas with cypher's transmod system you can just keep adding modulation sources. Otoh, it's much easier to figure out what's going on with bazille and it has a number of things that cypher doesn't. So I guess it's down to how much the sound inspires you and whether you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. I think it's an excellent plugin, but will pass on this for now. If I ever get an MPE capable controller, I will certainly revisit it.

On an unrelated note, I, too, was surprised to see that all the fxpansion products I own are now considered legacy. Not too surprising, I suppose, given that the last update of these was 5 years ago (!)

zvenx wrote:
4damind wrote:I have not installed it yet... is the memory leak a serious problem (prevents to use Cypher)? Does someone got feedback or knows if this was confirmed by the devs?
The developer is on much needed vacation currently, but certainly a few beta testers have confirmed it in the official beta forum.

I myself have been using it for weeks and didn't even notice the issue, so I would say it doesn't prevent it from being used.
But my two systems have 16 and 32GB of Ram so maybe that's why I never noticed it.
rsp
yeah this has been confirmed in the beta channel by FX, looks like it will be fixed asap. running okay here on 16GB RAM - you can try the demo out to see how it runs on your machine

patchhunter wrote:Just purchased. Did anyone else notice that tremor, etch,bloom, and maul are now legacy products and are not supported anymore ?
That‘s indeed annoying news... :roll:
I bought these products recently second hand...
Hope they will be usable long enough in the future...

martinjuenke wrote:
patchhunter wrote:Just purchased. Did anyone else notice that tremor, etch,bloom, and maul are now legacy products and are not supported anymore ?
That‘s indeed annoying news... :roll:
I bought these products recently second hand...
Hope they will be usable long enough in the future...
Yes, they will be usable on Windows 7 for a loooong time in the future. Like, forever!

Smartass! :x

Good conterattack :tu:

Have a nice day, buddy! :)

Return to “Instruments”