Thoughts on V3 GUI

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I personally really liked the old look of TX16Wx, I found it confusing when I first started using the plugin years ago, but I got used to it and started to really love it.
I'm sad to see it go... but anyway THE FUTURE IS NOW haha
I think I understand the new design changes of V3 and I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

I do have a practical issue with the new interface though...
As it's just been released and this forum is busier than normal I'd like to weigh in and see what everyone here thinks.

As you can see in this screenshot on my 2011 macbook.
TX16Wx V2 at 1024x600 resolution fits perfectly in the screen with the REAPER side bar.
There is even an option to go one resolution smaller if you want!
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 4.26.05 PM.png
With V3, even with no side bar in REAPER and at the smallest resolution+small fonts skin, the plugin takes up the entire width of the screen. I have an option to make the height smaller but the smallest width possible is still very big. I also find that the difference between the lowest and 2nd lowest height options is too much.. lowest height is too small and cramped and 2nd lowest the height takes up (more than) the entire screen of the macbook.
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 6.11.13 PM.png
I'm not totally sure that the resolution switches actually work properly to be honest... they don't really seem to change the scale of the plugin in a way that makes sense. Could this be a bug?

I know that most people have bigger screens than me and that my laptop is a little old but I think many people are still running laptops with resolutions similar or smaller too this. And it's worth noting that I prefer a more compact interface on my larger flat screen at my windows desktop.... Its fine and I can see everything, but I would go smaller if I had the option.

Is it at all possible to give us the option to go one smaller with overall interface size a little further down the line? I for one would really appreciate it. :pray:

I've said it before today already on here and I'll say it again. Great work with the bug busting on the new release! I can only imagine the work, it must be so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Use the [-] button on top of the file browser when you're done file browsing ... and you'll get lots of extra screen space...

StefanMax wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 pm Use the [-] button on top of the file browser when you're done file browsing ... and you'll get lots of extra screen space...
Nice! :tu:

-edited- but I think the setting for UI size might be broken. When I set mine to 1024 x 768 it doesn't seem like it changed any. And I know it's hard to get so much UI into a small space and still have readable fonts, but there has got to be a way to tweak my visuals to be good as possible on a 1024 x 768 monitor.
People my age depend on a little help from our friends! :scared:

Same feeling as @mortfell about the v3. Because i really liked the old v2 version GUI (first it looks so complicated, then when i take the time to look into it, it was really easy to use) i purchase the pro licence. All i wanted was an aax version because i like to work in pro tools then when i saw a few days ago the v3 compatible aax, i was really excited. I instal today the 3.0.9 and when i had this v3 GUI in front of me i said WHY WHY WHY you make it so complicated man :cry: !!! Why developpers tend to make so often plugin looks mac software like, i don't have the right terms but you know what i mean i guess. And now i need to double click to only change group parameters like oneshot or legato or poly instead of one click in the older version. Really i wanted to continue a project i started on fl studio but i was tired of searching where is this or that button. I need to relearn the sampler and this is annoying. TX16Wx is still awsome but guy at CWITEC don't make things complicated (for my case all i wanted was an aax version :cry: )

TX Version 3 overcomes the old paradigm of fixed program areas. (Mostly) everything is now resizable, hence the resolution setting turns out mostly .. useless...?

Play around with the mouse and you'll see that now you can resize region mapper, or waves editor or... mostly every other area.

Indeed. It also allows parallel edit of several programs at once, drag&drop edit/copy between different groups/programs, etc etc. Another reason for having separate editors for everything is that you now treat sound shape objects as distinct entities in the UI, with clear automation assignments.
Change is scary and horrible and everything was always better before (sic), yet sometimes there might be actual thoughts behind those horrible changes.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Hi elcallio, i don't doubt that there are incredibles thoughts behind theses changes, but for me everything is not always better after either. I look into the latest v3 and i highly prefer the 2.4.2g version that i had intalled before. Here are why if i may:

-first the UI is too ''geeky", i use many programs for different midi channels and there are to much parameters displayed. Then if i need a specific area (wave editor, keyboard mapping for example) there is too much clicking and resizing to work comfortably.
v3.png
-The mute button in program make confusion. It's orange and when actived is "oranger"
-the play cursor in the wave editor is not that visible. I don't see the x axis for zero crossfade in the wave editor. The midi select when activated only work with program HIHAT in channel 3 Image
v3 wave editor.png
v3 midi select.png
-the program HITHAT only show one region (there are two regions) and show the other when it start to play, that was not the case in v2
-When i play the first note of a bass soundfont (with another instance) and stop the note hold on and won't stop until i click in the midi panic button.

These are the issues i encounter (i think the v3 is not on point for now,fact there are many bug fixes), i have not use the TX entirely. I have never use matrix part or the fx because i use my own ones. I try not to be negative but i reinstall the v2 because it's more ergonomic for me, less busy (i view only what i need) instead of v3 (there's too much tweaking and i loose after ideas and objectivity because i need to go quick). I don't know if it's possible but it would be really nice to make available the choice for people in the same case as me to choose the old UI with the v3 or make an aax version of v2 (even if i don't have the new stuff like timestech ect...). Thanks for reading me :tu:

Edit : i forgot to mention some points. I hope this will help for further update:
-You can hardly tell the selected program (in v2 the highlighting was clearer) .
-scrolling with mouse wheel through program only work when the mouse pointer is on the right edge of the window
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by engineer2 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry I don't know why but i can't add the other image to illustrate

There will be no further development in the v2 series.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Ok, in that case i only hope that i'll find the good one in further update.

New interface is good. I'm struggling to find my way around it but I accept that I just need to RTFM. :)

I do wish I could make it take less screen width though. Could skinning do that?

3 years later, i'm still with V2, can't like V3 and tried to install it 2 or 3 times to work on protools but i simply can't like the gui and also was crashing at some point the daw. Too unfortunate since i have the pro version, will stick with V2 forever and use something else for protools.

Return to “CWITEC”