How long does a License last?

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does purchasing a Spire license mean it only lasts a year, life of a major version or is it a lifetime license? I cannot find any info on this!

I just tried the demo and it's pretty good, but personally, not worth the high price unless it's a lifetime purchase. I only make music as an occasional hobby :D

Counter question: Which soft synths are sold with a one year, or a life time license?

I don't know, I've never bought one. But this and Sylenth1 have tons of presets and are damn good synths, so was planning on buying the two! ;)

Sylenth1 seems to have lifetime license as updates are free!

sl23 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm Sylenth1 seems to have lifetime license as updates are free!
Just because he calls a few minor changes version 2 and 3 doesn't mean that it's lifetime updates...

Of course you get a license for the major version with Spire. Just like with any other synth.

Here is the Spire changelog, if you're interested: https://reveal-sound.com/content/changelog.php?spire Those are all updates since its existence. Which means, if you had bought a license in 2012, then those are all the updates you got for your money. So far.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok just wondered that's all, some do offer such things :)

Who?

You might confuse subscription schemes with single licenses.

I'm not aware of licenses for a year, or lifetime licenses for soft synths. How would that work anyway? No dev can guarantee you that he works all of his developer life on a single synth.

It's for the life of the product, so including all major updates.Whether they work on one or more products for five or fifty years is totally irrelevant. Fact is, it's not clear ANYWHERE, hence I asked the question!

And if you're right about Sylenth1, then that is very misleading!

Actually, thinking about it, forget what I wrote. You get a license for the use of the software as it is. It's not really correct when I say that you get a license for the major version, and all updates which will come. I think that can change actually (although I never owned a license of a software which did that).

Anyway, I really think you shouldn't overthink this. I think you own a DAW, I think you own some effect plugins. It's the same as with those.

I know, I get that, I do. I bought XYplorer file manager only because it has a lifetime license. WinRAR also has a lifetime license. Some software does and it should always be made clear what exactly you are purchasing.

I don't expect many offer this, but if it's not made clear, there is a need to ask.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. Hopefully someone can clarify?

sl23 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:01 am Hopefully someone can clarify?
According to your signature, you own MuLab. When you buy Spire, it's the same as with MuLab. :)

I linked to the Spire changelog in one of my earlier posts. You can see how many updates you already "would have gotten" if you bought it on day 1. As I mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I know Spire is quite expensive, but, maybe you can wait for a Black Friday sale, which surely will come.

I kind of get where the OP is coming from as its perspective base. Lifetime could equate to lifetime of the developer, the business, the license holder ir version number. The latter has historically been seen on relaunch of a product with a change log that effectively changes the product and the developer renames the product or launches version 2.
Not that I have ever experienced this in the audio world.
Saying that most devs are cleat ie license for version1 or ie Reaper from version x to x.xx.
I think with spire you can safely assume until version 2 is ever released would be the only caveat. Or they launch a new product and drop support due to OS evolution.

Oh sorry, I missed the link. I see, so it is worth the price, probably it lasts til v2?
Thanks

MFXxx wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:39 am I kind of get where the OP is coming from as its perspective base. Lifetime could equate to lifetime of the developer, the business, the license holder ir version number. The latter has historically been seen on relaunch of a product with a change log that effectively changes the product and the developer renames the product or launches version 2.
Where on Reveal Sound's website does it say anything about "lifetime updates" though?

chk071 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 am
MFXxx wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:39 am I kind of get where the OP is coming from as its perspective base. Lifetime could equate to lifetime of the developer, the business, the license holder ir version number. The latter has historically been seen on relaunch of a product with a change log that effectively changes the product and the developer renames the product or launches version 2.
Where on Reveal Sound's website does it say anything about "lifetime updates" though?
Dont know if it does or does not. Simply referring to the post...
sl23 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:36 pm It's for the life of the product, so including all major updates.Whether they work on one or more products for five or fifty years is totally irrelevant. Fact is, it's not clear ANYWHERE, hence I asked the question!

And if you're right about Sylenth1, then that is very misleading!
:D

:tu:

Return to “Reveal Sound”