which scale (and how to find the root note?) scale key is this?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys, ok so i got the notes from a song, not complex, a simple beat but how do you find the root key or scale key? so i know which scale it is?

melody is
D5 - E5 - F5 - E5

Pad is
F6 - E6 - F6 - D6

higher pad is
D4 - C4 - B3

i always thought you need to take the main melodies first note, but no afaik.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I think I told ya! Now you have two pairs of semitones - E-F and B-C. Which major scale features them? And which minor scale features them? :D

(EDIT: I told ya a pair of semitones is either 7-1 or 3-4 of a major scale, 1 being the root. Now you only have two choices if you're going after a major scale - is it F major or C major?)
Last edited by shawshawraw on Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The melodies sound so sad to me. Could it be the saddest keys of all?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

how to find the tonal center? By ear. If one simply cannot, one is in the wrong game.
the example there is, 'white keys'. No way to know without hearing it which of a potential 7 centers it is. It may be "D Dorian". You have to get this on your own.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:56 am melody is
D5 - E5 - F5 - E5

Pad is
F6 - E6 - F6 - D6

higher pad is
D4 - C4 - B3
Are those notes all of same duration?

If not, could you post a screenshot of that sequence (all in same pattern with "View > Ghost channels" enabled in piano roll's menu) so that it is visible which notes coincide with which?

Return to “Music Theory”