Install problems with Blue Cat PnS (Win10 as Standard user) ..?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I installed the Blue Cat PnS no problem on one machine I own (where I am admin on that machine).

However, I installed it on another machine (as Standard user - but put admin password in when installer invoked). And that was a probem.
It installed into c:\program files\... etc. But obviously Standard user does not have rights there to write.

So, I uninstalled PnS and thought, "Ok, I'll install the vst3 to my Documents folder".
I re-installed. It didn't ask me for my username and key, and it did install to my documents folder. But my DAW (Reaper) didn't scan it. It hung and said, "Terminate VST" because it thought PnS vst3 was looking for authorization and it hung.

How do I clear up this mess? I am looking at restoring the registry with a restore pont three days ago. But since then I installed a few other important programs. So I want to avoid if at all possible.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Here's what may be happening. When I run the installer as standard user and have to elevate to Admin, Blue Cat PnS installs some important data in the admin users Roaming folder. Afterwhich I imagine it has trouble writing to as I revert to Standard user (?)

Here's my Reaper error:

Reaper run as admin:

My guess is that it's just the license key that was written for the admin user (the key is not shared among users). The easiest way to deal with this is probably to copy the Blue Cat Audio folder from the admin user Roaming folder to your current user, and make sure your user has the rights on it.

Thanks, cutting the AppData\Roaming\Blue Cat Audio folder from my admin user straight after the install and pasting it into the same place on my Standard user seemed to work.
Also, I had to manually remove Blue Cat folder from my Documents dir before fresh install, and search with Regedit for any mention of "Blue Cat" and remove it. Reaper did not pick up the new Blue Cat install so I had to clear plugin cache in reaper and re-scan (re-scanning is always a joy in Reaper).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”