Getting my MIDI keyboard to play istruments in ZynAddSubFX

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a MIDI keyboard, an M-Audio Prokeys 88, and Linux (Arch Linux) laptop running ZynAddSubFX (V 3.0.6)

I can connect it to my computer and with ZynAddSubFX running I can connect them with the command
aconnect 24 128

If I press the keys on the keyboard I can see the the keys in the virtual keyboard being pressed but do not hear any notes. If I press the keys on the virtual keyboard I get sound out.

I would like to use ZynAddSubFX to play many voices my keyboard does not have, but can't work out how to select my external keyboard, and set it to a channel (preferably 1) and then pick the voice it makes.

I would then hopefully be able to record different instruments on different channels.

The virtual keyboard usually sends midi to CH1 to the synth.
Are you sure your external keyboard is sending notes on CH1?

Do you have some diagnostic program that receives MIDI and gives you a list of MIDI messages received (monitors MIDI activity)? I don't really know so much the Linux program env. On windows I can use midiox, or other MIDI monitors (as plugins).

I also have an old M-Audio midi controller (discontinued Radium 49). I can press a button (Midi Select) and a key to select the output midi channel... Not sure how it is done on your keyboard.

Many thanks, that was the key, looking up and finding out how to set the output MIDI channel of the controller.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”