PRODUCTS

OK lets say I have a song in F Major

Now i want to check if it sounds better in all other major/minor keys

Can you please tell me the process to do this

thanks

What's your DAW?
Most have transpose functions for midi.
Apply that to all tracks except drums.
It gets somewhat complicated if you have recorded audio, eg vocal tracks.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I do this all the time if I feel my music, chords already sounds familiar. Just transpose it few semitones up or down. Especially if I need the bass to fit in (not be too low so to speak). Or if I want my melody to sound "higher" but do not want to bring it up the whole octave.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

peterstone wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:26 pm OK lets say I have a song in F Major

Can you please tell me the process to do this

thanks
Traditional process or computer :?:

peterstone wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:26 pm OK lets say I have a song in F Major

As mentioned, your DAW's transpose function works fine for MIDI, but that will only transpose your song to other major keys. Transpose to minor keys involves first changing all of your chords, melodies, etc. to F minor, then transposing to other keys with the transpose function. As @BertKoor already mentioned, the whole process becomes complicated for recorded audio, meaning that you either need to transpose the original audio to other keys by either an automated process (e.g., Melodyne) or by re-recording it in other keys. It's further complicated for changing the recorded audio from Fmaj to Fmin, but it's doable in Melodyne by changing individual notes to fit the Fmin scale. Using Melodyne (or similar) to transpose recording parts can give you some pretty poor results, particularly when transposing audio up/down by more than a couple of scale degrees, so re-recording it in other keys may give you better results.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

If you're a guitar player, walking your capo up the neck a fret at a time is a quick and easy way to see if your piece feels better in another key. I do this all the time. Once I land on something that feels better then I'll work out what key it is.
--------------------
Joe Hedrick
https://newleafaudio.com

Return to “Music Theory”