Podolski VST3 & AAX beta revision 14897

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

today we got a bit of an unusual beta for you.

Two major things.
First, we are in the process of updating our plugins to the latest VST3 SDK, mainly in order to support the VST2 to VST3 migration feature.

Second, we are bringing back AAX on Mac, including native Silicon support.

Downloads:

Podolski VST3/AAX beta 14897 Mac
Podolski VST3/AAX beta 14897 Windows

If you are using a VST3 host, or if you are a Pro Tools user (Mac or Win), please give this version a good spin.
We might also post a Linux version if we can convince our Linux server to actually build anything.

IMPORTANT

Before you install, please note that this is a very "beta" beta version.
Do not use it if you are using Podolski in critical projects right now.

If you use it, you can, at any time, revert to the current release version.
Just download it from the product page and install over the beta.

Another important detail, if you are using this VST3 beta in your projects, and then decide to switch back to the current release version, your projects won't be able to load the VST3.
So it's best not to save important projects with this beta, if you are planning to return to the current release version.
VST3

As mentioned, we are updating our VST3 SDK to the very latest version 3.7.8.
Theoretically, everything should simply work, as usual.
But, also as usual, who the heck knows what might have broken in the process.

And that's why we need your :help:. If you got some time at hand, please play around with the VST3 version, and let us know should anything behave in unexpected ways.

This version should also support VST2 to VST3 migration if your host supports this feature.
If you have some old projects using the Podolski VST2 version, try removing the VST2 plugin from the plugin folder and then see if the project loads with the VST3 in place of the VST2.

It seems to work good in Cubase.
We also tried it in Reaper, which does support the migration feature, but for some reason, Reaper won't replace the missing VST2 with the VST3 yet. We are clueless. :shrug:

If you happen to know which hosts do (or do not) support VST2 to VST3 migration, please let us know.

Btw, this VST3 version can also replace the VST2 version in Komplete Kontrol and Maschine when loading NKS presets, not just on Mac, but on Windows as well.

Important, exporting NKS presets is broken in this beta, so please don't use this feature.
The NKS preset will still be created, but it won't show up in your NKS host.
AAX

We already included the updated AAX in the Filterscape 1.5 beta, but so far we haven't gotten any feedback about how it performs in Pro Tools.
Besides native Silicon support, we also fixed a number of AAX related issues, so no matter if you are on Mac or on a Windows computer, please have a look and let us know how it works.
CLAP

A quick word about CLAP. While the CLAP version is included, it's still work in progress.
E.g. the CLAP parameter modulation feature isn't implemented yet. It's currently still using the regular modulation feature in Bitwig.
SUMMARY

There is only one purpose for this beta, to test the upated VST3 SDK.
Its second sole purpose is to check the new AAX version. :)
Long story short, please let us know if anything smells fishy (apart from the fish).

Known Issues:

* CLAP version does not have parameter modulation implemented yet
* Projects saved with beta VST3 won't work with the older release VST3
* VST2 NKS export is broken in this beta
* VST2 to VST3 migration not working in Reaper yet

Cheers,
Tas
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Looking forward to the Linux version. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:20 pm Looking forward to the Linux version. :)
Me too! Yay! 😇

How's it going so far?
Anything weird happening? Any mysterious bugs creeping up?
Or is it all smooth sailing with the VST3 and the AAX versions?

Has anyone tried loading old VST2 projects with the VST3?
VST2 sadly won't be around forever, so it would be good to know if this works everywhere.

And if anyone knows which hosts definitely support VST2 to VST3 migration, please let us know.

As far as I can see, everything seems to work on Pro Tools AAX for me. Great.
Cheers
Jan

jnchristp wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:28 pm As far as I can see, everything seems to work on Pro Tools AAX for me. Great.
Woohoo, nice! Thanks. :tu:

Tried it this morning, AMD R9, Win 11 current build, sorry no old project to load, but.
1. on first scan in Komplete Kontrol the vst2 stuck, I had to kill KK and try again, went through fine after that.
2. NKS pre-sets loaded in VST2 until I renamed the.dll to .old and there after it opened in VST3 as expected.
3. Maschine had no issues on scan, plugin loaded fine, no obvious problems but didn't test Maschine for long.
4. both VSTs loaded fine in Cubase, VST3 worked as expected when VST2 not present. Spent some time recording a few lines and automation to go with it. No problems. Good job guys.

40watt wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:56 pm Tried it this morning, AMD R9, Win 11 current build
Super, thanks for the detailed feedback, much appreciated.

2. NKS pre-sets loaded in VST2 until I renamed the.dll to .old and there after it opened in VST3 as expected.

Yeah if you are on Windows systems, or Intel/ Rosetta on Mac the VST2 still loads NKS patches made with the VST2 - that’s to be expected - NKS will load the plugin format it was made with by default - which means unless you are on Apple Mx Native systems, where VST3 is mandatory for NKS, you have to force those NKS patches to load in the VST3 by disabling or deleting the VST2. That’s the case for all plugins (and of course it only works if they also have plugin migration enabled as NKS ready u-he plugins do)

One thing I thought could be a bug until I checked against other U-he plugins: there's no mousewheel scrolling in the MIDI assignment table. Seems weird that wouldn't be supported on that screen. But then I checked Diva and same thing there.

AAX version crashes Pro Tools 2018.3 - assertion error then freeze.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Brittlestem wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:06 am AAX version crashes Pro Tools 2018.3 - assertion error then freeze.
Can you send some more details to our support, please?
E.g. add details about the macOS version, and how old your Mac is.

https://u-he.com/support/#contact

Return to “u-he”