Problems hosting Omnisphere 2.5 AU/VST3 in Axiom 1 (standalone/macOS 13.5)

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the tools section (at the base of Axiom), loading the Omnisphere 2.5 (OS2.5) Audio Unit into any of the slots works an expected until I try to deactivate the synth via the blue on/off button in the tool box. Nothing happens. I tested it with a couple of other synths and it seems too work fine for them so it may be a Spectrasonics issue but if I deactivate the OS2.5 plugin via a similar on/off switch in Live 11 or Logic Pro the audio is correctly muted, as expected.

Assuming it might be an AU issue I tried the VST3 version and it mutes properly with the on/off button. That should be great, but clicking the show editor box opens once but didn't render the GUI correctly. I closed it and then upon attempting to reopen the editor the window WILL NOT relaunch in Axiom. This problem is repeatable.

Next, I tried the VST and it seems to work as expected though a similar GUI problem occurred when showing the editor for the first time. After that it renders correctly.

But when I tried to go back to the AU, to see if it had perhaps corrected itself, the editor GUI had turned into a giant blue monstrosity with at least 355 Axiom-style dials on it (my screen isn't big enough to see all the parameters). I definitely didn't sign up for that. It's also unusable since it doesn't even pass audio at all now!

I guess VST2 is the way to go but I've been thinking it would be nice to perhaps just use Audio Units or VST3 plugins since more and more software developers seem to be phasing VST2 out. It just seems very weird that the AU and VST3 versions display these behaviors when used in Axiom (not fully tested with PatchWork but when I tried to load the PatchWork Synth AU and host OS2.5 inside it, it rendered the giant blue dial screen too).

If you have any ideas on possible solutions, please share :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for the delay! Have you tried with the latest update (Axiom V2)?

Regarding the bypass behavior, we use a soft bypass that calls the plug-in when it provides its own bypass parameter, so maybe this plugin declares it but doe snot implement it properly. We'll have to check it out.

Anyway, for the Audio Unit GUI issue I am wondering if you are not running an Apple silicon Mac, and if do not have an older version installed that is note Apple Silicon-native. If that's the case then we use Apple's bridging system to load intel Audio Units, and not all of them are compatible.

Thanks for your reply. By way of explanation, I have tested this on both an older Mac with an Intel processor and on an M1 MacBook Air (no Rosetta 2 active as both Axiom and Omnisphere 2 are running Native). The results are identical.

The same problem persists in Axiom 2.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”