New to music production

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Roughly yeah that's a good selection but for simple EDM you can just learn the QWERTY keyboard... In my above tunes 'The World is Czars' and 'Soylent Greed' I ONLY used QWERTY, no MIDI controllers... For 'Apache Swagger' I just painted in notes using piano roll for EVERYTHING, again no MIDI controller used & yes, I have 4 of them so not lacking there...

The important thing is to develop the ear to pick out what you wanna play, this is more important than what DAW you wanna use. It's like an expert guitarist playing to YOU...He picks it right up even improves on it by EAR...

Here have a SEE at this thread where I took an hour out to make a video for this member. To accent my point I used old 22 year-old AXS tracker, using QWERTY, on old single-core from 2003 even old camtasia from same year...

The links are still good, not a very good video but it does show how SIMPLE trance-EDM & all that is just like simple lullabies...EASY to dissect...Use ANYTHING just important to get started-

viewtopic.php?t=594683

The hardware-software not near as important as learning music in your own way... Hans Zimmer on AXS Tracker is gonna kick ass on any beginner in ableton 10-20-30-ETC...

eLawnMust wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:40 pm Hey Nakahito...Thanks for your 'Like' on my unfinished tune...

I went & listened to all yours on your channel very nice variety there, true musicianship I highly recommend... really liked 'Mars Resort' and 'Stop for a Coffee'...

I gotta get busy with mine but seems busier the older I get along with aches-pains that make creativity harder every year...

you might like a few of these I did...First one I did in Renoise some years ago, no drums, only pot-pan perc, short-

https://soundcloud.com/waxing-and-waning/soylent-greed
A shame you couldn't finish it, it got treal potential, mostly on the last section when it starts to get samba-ish. You can always remake stuff tho. I recently started organizing my project files, and eliminated like 80% of them as they where either trash, unfinished stuff that was a no go, things that i couldn't even hear as the midi files were inexistent, and such. In the 20% or so that got reordered i had lots of unfinished stuff that someday gonna complete as it has potential XD, some must be TOTALLY remade from scratch but at least the files serves as a guide for doing it.

Now, keeping on with the topic, it's totally true that a midi controller is not needed to start, even more if you don't have musical experience with it. Most daw comes with chord functions and such so that anyone can start from scratch without knowing sh*t.

Yeah... I hear you Nakahito but you don't have anything to be leery of your tunes varied & nice sounding something for everybody shows a true pro musical talent there...

I am more of a 'dabbler' I was a bassist when young & did all my music then. I pretty much like making jingles & tunes in obscure trackers & sequencers that most don't even know exist. Yes I have 'better' SURE but I like the challenge. So far probably most proud of tune I did in H8 Tracker a year ago which other than the developers demo tune is the only other one in existence that I know of... There was no manual, no WAV render, sampler was very poor as it was beta, favored GUI-less plugins but could use GUI-ed plugs but GUIs had to STAY OPEN!...Automation in it was a blast though...

Here shot with plugins open you see automation is in the forefront-

The bugger of it was it all sounded pretty good till I started recording the sound card when it played giving pops & krackles, other than that turned out pretty good for being done in an obscure beta tracker from 2001...Here's the tune - 'Girl Cheese Sandwich'-

https://soundcloud.com/waxing-and-wanin ... e-sandwich

Also have a video of it as well-

https://3dtestosterone.net/vidsys/?p=vi ... lYvEMaK3fQ

As to topic...'Well, We Tried'...Looks like original poster left the planet or something we might as well take over...

Hey, Nakahito...I saw somewhere you do 3D stuff?... I do as well, That 'Bi-Beast' that is on the 'Soylent Green' tune page I did it's also my avatar on my main page there on soundcloud...It's a 'vintage' construct too modeled in Nendo then finished in C4D XL7.3 which is a 22 year-old version now... I 'dabble' in that too...

:dog: wrong thread

Production music live & sonic academy have good short tutorials on music theory. Its close enough to EDM. For example:
Harmony & chords course - https://www.productionmusiclive.com/col ... ogressions
Music Theory for melodic house & techno - https://www.productionmusiclive.com/col ... -and-house

Hey, you can find really basic harmony theory books in pdf on the internet, maybe in your country's national digital library

My advice and what i did is simply binge watch youtube videos on music theory and the genre/artists making the music that you want to make. Like search "hiphop beat music theory" or "marshmello chords music theory". After watching a ton of videos you start to develop understandings that continue to grow.

Also, Hooktheory is a good website to find the chords and the scale of song you like.

It might not have songs from more obscure EDM artists but the big names should be there.

Return to “Music Theory”