How Did Ben Bohmer make that sound and glide ?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi and thank you in advance :))

I've messed around with glide and Bohmer type Dive presets but this is incredibly unique, if you listen to Ben Bohmer - Begin again CHORDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3GQ-sm ... 3lcqzRr1bl

Would really love to get some advice on this very please :))

Thank you so much
Louder X

warren louder wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:12 am I've messed around with glide and Bohmer type Dive presets but this is incredibly unique, if you listen to Ben Bohmer - Begin again CHORDS
Dive? did you mean Diva?

In the video you posted, from 0:30 onwards what I hear is just simple portamento aka glide, and imho not so unique. Some notes glide from a lower, some from a higher note.

If you engage glide / portamento on a monophonic synth (with just one voice) then it always glides from the previous note you played to the new note.
On a polyphonic synth it is somewhat random. A new note gets allocated to a voice which is free. It is then up to luck whether the previous note it played was higher or lower than the new note.

So what I guess is that Ben Böhmer just plays the notes he wants (not a single one per take, but using two hands) and let randomness do what it has to do.

Not done here, but what I have seen some players do for dramatic glide effect, is first set volume of the synth to silent. Then put a whole hand on the lowest notes, so all voices are guaranteed to have played a low note. Then switch on the volume and go play notes in the middle and upper range. They have to come from far away.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi Yes typo it is the Diva synth.

Interesting information :) I will study this and see how I can approach these suggestions. There is also a new plugin call fluid
which you might want to look at for interest sake :) I thank you very much for your time and help on this :)
W :)

Return to “Sound Design”