Soft / Gentle / Heavenly Uplifting-Trance Pluck (How do I make this?)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:48 pm
Look, tomorrow I'm going to write out the same melody and harmony as sky garden
You should have started by this. When you try to recreate something always start by removing as much variable as you can.

Which is exactly what I did here.

PS: it's not perfect; but heh I spend 20min only so go figure out how it's made and have fun now ;)

Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:35 am
Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:53 pm I will, as usual, advise that this is probably one of those Zen "come at it sideways" things so if you are trying to do this in a head-on fashion, it will probably never happen ;-)
:-)
can i ask how exactly one would "come at it sideways"? unfortunately head-on seems to me the only way to really figure out how to make a sound. there is a specific technique that im clearly missing here.
So you ask head-on how to not be head-on LOL

I get it, I truly do. That is why I likened it to Zen and those Koen (riddles) the Masters ask to try to get their students to see outside of their established mindset (think Yoda).

Slow down. Step aside from what it is that you think you need to achieve. Wonder why you think you need to achieve that very thing. Is it really YOUR Story or is it you trying to tell someone else's Story because you are afraid to tell your own?

I can't get your zip as Chrome blocks access for security. I will say again that these sounds all feel rather Korg M1, but that may simply be because this genre grew around that instrument so the feel is still common.

I think it would be far better to share and have a specific person help you work on YOUR piece and how it can be made to come alive as it is - which may in reality be nothing like this "Sky Garden" piece (hence why it resists.

Benedict wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:18 am
Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:35 am
Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:53 pm I will, as usual, advise that this is probably one of those Zen "come at it sideways" things so if you are trying to do this in a head-on fashion, it will probably never happen ;-)
can i ask how exactly one would "come at it sideways"? unfortunately head-on seems to me the only way to really figure out how to make a sound. there is a specific technique that im clearly missing here.
So you ask head-on how to not be head-on LOL

I get it, I truly do. That is why I likened it to Zen and those Koen (riddles) the Masters ask to try to get their students to see outside of their established mindset (think Yoda).

Slow down. Step aside from what it is that you think you need to achieve. Wonder why you think you need to achieve that very thing. Is it really YOUR Story or is it you trying to tell someone else's Story because you are afraid to tell your own?

I can't get your zip as Chrome blocks access for security. I will say again that these sounds all feel rather Korg M1, but that may simply be because this genre grew around that instrument so the feel is still common.

I think it would be far better to share and have a specific person help you work on YOUR piece and how it can be made to come alive as it is - which may in reality be nothing like this "Sky Garden" piece (hence why it resists.
Note that that zip was not by me, it was another user who is helping out.

In response to what you wrote:

I am not afraid at all to do my own thing, in fact I already have my own plucks made in my own way that are sounding good and I probably will continue with them. Yes, i totally agree, each song is unique and we need to mould the sounds to fit the song.

but in order to learn, I believe its good to practice techniques. I wanted to reverse-engineer this kind of pluck and figure out what they're doing to achieve that sound. i don't see anything wrong with that? I understand its difficult to do in context, but there are still various settings that are chosen to create certain sounds. To me, this head-on way suits me :) I'm very into Zen in my personal life, but in this case I'm pretty happy asking technical questions. When I produce, I am most of the time just letting it write and mould itself.

Deisss wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:07 pm DL:

https://anonymfile.com/jdQr/virus-preset-pluck.zip

From the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IqVZRV_No

At 4min30 (when the pluck start):
- First Pluck Midi.mid => the midi played
- First Pluck part.jpg => how it looks like parameters-wise

A bit after 4min46 (I show also what to automate):
- Second Pluck Midi.mid => the midi played
- Second Pluck Part.jpg => how it looks like parameters-wise

Then:

Virus Preset - Pluck.mid => is the preset of the DSP/Virus (Virus C). I took the first more or less matching preset which was... The 7th from Bank A... And tweaked it a bit.

test sky garden.wav => the result of the track + that pluck played for both Midi, relatively easy to identify when the new synth plays.

Have fun ;)
Thank you SOOOOO MUCH for taking the time to do this man, I appreciate it so much!

Unfortunately it says the file doesn't exist :( Can you upload again please?

I also mentioned in my comment last night that the DSP plugin isn't working for me. It just crashes. If you made it in the DSP, could you please include a .wav if its not included so i can hear it?

REALLY appreciate the time man, thank you so much. I am sure when I hear it that it will help me :)

Check your DM.

Yes I tested quickly spire and DSP, it was much better on DSP, so I strongly recommend you to fix that DSP that keeps crashing ;) If you're interested into trance, that's probably the top 1/2 synth you should have working ;)

Deisss wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:06 am Check your DM.

Yes I tested quickly spire and DSP, it was much better on DSP, so I strongly recommend you to fix that DSP that keeps crashing ;) If you're interested into trance, that's probably the top 1/2 synth you should have working ;)
the link worked in my DM's, thanks! yeah this is really similar! considering its only 20 mins, one could make it work very well

i will keep trying. edit: I found this and he's using an m1 like me, so will use it. i see he says for him the vst and clap formats didnt work for him either, so he used AU. bitwig doesnt support au so ill download some other DAW to try it on

thank you so much. im sure once i have it working ill be able to learn from what you've done. cos it does sound very similar. then will discuss here

Apologies for being a dick earlier. I can see how my first post seemed patronising- I just assumed that you were more of a newbie than you are. My bad.

swilow11 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:48 am Apologies for being a dick earlier. I can see how my first post seemed patronising- I just assumed that you were more of a newbie than you are. My bad.
Wow I appreciate this alot man, thank you <3

I have over 20 years of experience in music. Began playing with wave editors and producing at age 12 (I'm 33 now). Sound design I began maybe 5-8 years ago. I know it can come across here like I'm a newb, considering what i was asking for seems like a basic sound, and tbh this made me feel very sensitive cos all 3 of the commenters were saying its so basic and i'm like "why can't I do this if its so basic?". I can make alot of sounds on a really good level, and yet can't do even the basics? It really affected my self esteem. but I reminded myself that just cos i have a gap in one technique, doesn't mean everything else is bad. I reminded myself that you guys are only seeing a sliver of things, and you only saw me asking how to make this sound which to you appeared basic.

I do have to say, the other commenter sent me his preset he made in the virus emulation and it is along the right lines. But he even mentioned he tried in spire and struggled a bit.

To me, almost every sound, when stripped down to its core, is quite basic. A pad is just 16 voices and a filter, etc. But making it sound a specific way requires getting the right tweaks, and so I think that while this pluck is still based off of some basic elements, getting it done the right way, and on a pro level which is what im aiming for, is not always so simple. there are plenty of tutorials on how to make a pluck, rolling bass etc, and many of them don't sound that great but they do the job of teaching the basic recipe of a pluck etc.

its kinda hard to share my music so you guys can get an idea, the reason being ive been sick for 14 years and for the last 5+ years ive been unable to produce. im only just getting back into it. but yeah, in all other areas, my sound design is considered good by the producers ive shown it to. for some reason, this particular pluck style has just eluded me.

i appreciate the apology <3 and im sorry too if i misjudged, i can tell now you were just trying to help and thought i was a newb :)

thanks alot. it is redeeming to get some good interactions here. i was beginning to lose faith in forums due to arguments like this arising. so it goes a long way, and i appreciate it <3

Here is the Sky Garden sound recreated.
https://voca.ro/1cUmPgEe2hA0
The trance pluck sound is from Spire.
The string pad is Spire layered with Kontakt Symphony Series String Ensemble.
And there is also a vox sound (Kontakt Glaze) with trance gate effect.

Return to “Sound Design”