Best MIDI controller app for iPad?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a consensus on the best MIDI controller app (including pitch bend and mod wheel) available for iPad? I'd love to not have to bring a physical controller with me while traveling.

I see a lot of synth apps available, but I don't see a lot of just general controllers. Would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

GeoShred Control. Or GeoShred as synth…
Avoid anything that looks like a keyboard. You limit yourself and an iPad won’t deliver velocity or aftertouch. But with an isomorphic controller like GeoShred you get at least some expression.
Personally I use a Sensel Morph which is really small and it gives me all expression I want. But its discontinued and it seems people try to sell it second hand for 3 times the original price…
On the other hand, whatever host you plan to use, they usually come with a keyboard you can blend in…

TouchOsc

This is a cool midi controller, I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjukegr ... ouchTHEORY

I used to have the Sensel. Pretty cool. This GeoShred is next-next-level though.
Ya ask me, the iPad is the perfect control for MPE pitch and expression stuff. I paid 350 + tax for a ROLI 24-key, forgot what the Sensel cost me, but I just bought GeoShred Pro for $24.99. 3 versions: Control costs nothing (makes no sound; Pro has a modeled guitar.) "Play" I think doesn't do MPE.

SWAM has quite a few instruments for it, and then there's the Indian instruments, and other Asian ones (InAppPurchases). $14.99 each. Other than its use as a controller, I'm unsure how it will integrate with teh DAW on the computer. I suppose I'll be recording live performances one way or another. Was looking for a basic iPad controller and this thread was one of the GeoShred hits. Mind_Blown.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”