Revox tape recorders (A77 vs. B77 vs. other models/brands) - advice needed

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have recently discovered that the price of Revox tape recorders from the 70s/80s is affordable and there are a few of them for sale. One of my life's dream could come true: obtain the beautiful, warm tape saturation signal on my music.

In a couple of days I tried to read as much as I can to figure out which could be a suitable model for me, here's what I've learnt (but I may be wrong, I'm a real newbie on the topic so any advice is super welcome):

- ReVox A77 and B77 sound amazing, they were supposed to be consumer-level recorders in the 60s-70s-80s but became a classic, amazing sound sought for and emulated by VSTs

- the A77 is older than the B77, and less reliable *but* some people prefer its sound over the B77. The b77 is easier/cheaper to service/repair, although the A77 can be serviced too quite easily (and expensively)

- A77 and B77 are cheaper than "cooler" and more professional models like the Otari mx5050 and the Struders (which are the pro-version of the ReVox, Struder is the last name of the owner)

- best quality is obtained with 2-tracks (aka 1/2 track) instead of 4 because more tape is used and the dynamic range is wider. Also, higher quality is achieved with higher speed (15 ips (pro) > 7 ips (the standard) > 3.75 ips for cool effects strong saturation).

- lower speed can introduce cool sounds effects. Likewise, A77 with some special tapes can be more extreme or more unusual than b77 and more pros models

- any old ReVox that I buy (especially the A77 which is older) should be in GREAT conditions, i.e. recently serviced, with motors and heads in good condition and capacitors and stuff substituted to higher quality components (many of the models I've seen for sale list these features). Otherwise buying a tape recorder could turn into a huge investment due to its servicing.

- tapes are super expensive (40-70 bukcs), last 15-20 min at standard speed an can only be used once.

- cooler effects can be created: classic tape delay, sound-on-sound (re-recording something on the tape without erasing), cutting and patching the tapes etc.

- prices in Europe are around 400-800 for A77; 600-2000 for B77. You can find recently serviced A77 for 600, B77 for 750

QUESTIONS:

- A77 or B77? which is the best way to go? is it true that b77 is more hassle-free and reliable? do they sound the same (I read A77 has more character but B77 more quality? but some people say that A77 has more quality..)

- maybe A77 or B77 are a bad idea, should I just wait and go for something more expensive and reliable (PR99, Studer, Otari?)?

- is it true that for more "experimental" effects (e.g. warm saturated synths, lots of lush etc.) slow speeds and A77 are a must?

peace and love to anyone helping out :D

The B77 has 3 speeds: 3¾, 7½, and 15 ips.
The A77 only does 3¾ and 7½ ips.

15 ips is the industry standard for tracking.

Definitely get the B77. Better price, cheaper servicing, more professional specs. It’s better in every way, unless you’re a hipster doofus.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

DaniZzz79 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:09 pm - tapes are super expensive (40-70 bukcs), last 15-20 min at standard speed an can only be used once.
You can use tape over and over. Eventually it will degrade but it sounds like you might like that. You'll probably want to use Dolby S or SR with it.

Return to “Production Techniques”