TDR Prism: potential for transcribing

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey. This post is partly applause for Prism as it is and also includes a little feature request. First of, there's no question that Prism is going to be my main analyzer plugin for general mixing purposes from now on. I just love the graphics (XRay, just wow!) and the feature set strikes a good balance between flexibility and simplicity. Great job!

Now a little back story for the feature request. I often try to transcribe and recreate songs that I like as an exercise to learn production techniques. One of the trickiest parts is to figure out chord voicings of individual instruments in a dense mix. This is where analyzer plugins can help. So far, I have mostly resorted to MeldaProduction's MAutoDynamicEQ, for two reasons:

1) Its analyzer section is very customizable (maybe even a little too much so).
2) The GUI offers useful layovers including a piano keyboard hovering over the analyzer graph with keys aligned to their fundamental frequencies.

The second point is my feature request: it would be great to have a piano keyboard layover or a similar indication of musical notes in Prism.

When watching Dan Worrall's excellent demo video, I immediately thought that the RMS averaging and 1/12 octave smoothing options in Prism could be very useful for transcribing. And indeed, they are! The dynamic sine feature is also great. Some indication of musical notes would hit it out of the park.

+1 for the missing frequency to note helper which is the only down for me as it makes me need another analyzer

Oh yes, piano overlay and notation features will likely follow sooner or later. It's on our todo list.

Manual transcription is an interesting use case.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”