Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.66 Free Update

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

I would like to share my experience with Patchwork and things I think can improve the product, at least from a user perspective as spent 2 hours each day or even more creating guitar rigs with it., and I have over 500 now.

1-I think the option to open a plugin is finicky, the tiny box on the top right hand corner of the cell is a hit and miss, the menu popping up is ok as an option but its old, there should be an actual button, maybe another colour to indicate it opens the instance in the cell..

2-also would be nice to navigate to previous or next preset of the cells instead of only pop up menus or the side bar., which really helps.

3-there is indeed a bug where you shut off a cell and its still on., I think it happened to me but I read and heard others mentioning it too.

4-Icons of plugs would be cool, even small one, even while hovering over the cell or inside the small area., then again this could be an optional mode between simple and larger graphical mode.

5-on off switches in the control section would be great to control anything, over drive guitar pedals., changing presets of an amp or patchwork

anyway just an enthusiast thought.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions! We keep improving our software everyday, so maybe some of these will make it in the future!

Britishboxer wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:41 pm I would like to share my experience with Patchwork and things I think can improve the product, at least from a user perspective as spent 2 hours each day or even more creating guitar rigs with it., and I have over 500 now.

1-I think the option to open a plugin is finicky, the tiny box on the top right hand corner of the cell is a hit and miss, the menu popping up is ok as an option but its old, there should be an actual button, maybe another colour to indicate it opens the instance in the cell..

2-also would be nice to navigate to previous or next preset of the cells instead of only pop up menus or the side bar., which really helps.

3-there is indeed a bug where you shut off a cell and its still on., I think it happened to me but I read and heard others mentioning it too.

4-Icons of plugs would be cool, even small one, even while hovering over the cell or inside the small area., then again this could be an optional mode between simple and larger graphical mode.

5-on off switches in the control section would be great to control anything, over drive guitar pedals., changing presets of an amp or patchwork

anyway just an enthusiast thought.
1. You can tweak/increase the size of the plug-in open/close window in one of the Patchwork skin's xml files. If you're interested I could go try and find it again, because I forget which xml it's in, but I believe it's in the Skin's layout.inc file, somewhere.

2. You can just host whatever plug-in(s) you need in Patchwork, then save the Patchwork preset and cycle through those. Each cell is hosting its own plug-in, so I'm not sure how you could cycle through the plug-in's presets from Patchwork itself, or even whether that would be super useful.

3. Some plug-ins do not have a "true bypass" IE they affect the audio signal even when bypassed (e.g. HoRNet Valvola), or even glitch out (e.g. Thomas Mundt's LoudMax). The easiest solution to this is to load a a 2nd Patchwork in the 1st Patchwork, and then load the plug-in within the 2nd Patchwork. Then, when you bypass the 2nd Patchwork, it should be no problem. This same solution also works with plug-ins that crash when oversampled (e.g. AIR Creative Effects bundle), just host the plug-in within a 2nd Patchwork and oversample the 2nd Patchwork itself.

Hi folks,

Could someone explain to me why we can specify a midi channel input for each cell, but not a midi channel out?

So for example we can choose bus E, channel 4 as input, but for the cell sending the midi to it, we can only choose bus E.

I'm not understanding the logic behind that!

Mr D wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:38 am Hi folks,

Could someone explain to me why we can specify a midi channel input for each cell, but not a midi channel out?

So for example we can choose bus E, channel 4 as input, but for the cell sending the midi to it, we can only choose bus E.

I'm not understanding the logic behind that!
While you may not have control over incoming MIDI that may come from multiple sources (hence the necessity to filter incoming MIDI per channel), you should usually be able to configure the MIDI channel(s) used to output events inside the plug-in. That's why there is no extra filtering proposed in PatchWork for the output of a plug-in. You can anyway filter it at the input of the next plug-in in the chain if you do not want all channels.

Any way to lock/tie the 3rd party plugin GUI to the patch work plugin GUI? Wish they could follow each other as I move them around.

Raddler1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:48 am Any way to lock/tie the 3rd party plugin GUI to the patch work plugin GUI? Wish they could follow each other as I move them around.
No, it is currently not possible. Could be fun to have the option, though :-). But it i snot an easy task, as the Window carrying PatchWork belongs to the host application and could be anything...

Sadly the standalone app still opens every time in the center of the main monitor and not at the place where it was closed last. This makes the app completely unusable for me and I still have to use the buggy Live Professor in my live setup.
I absolutely don't want to close or get my plugin windows out of the way just to get to the patchwork app

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:34 am
Raddler1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:48 am Any way to lock/tie the 3rd party plugin GUI to the patch work plugin GUI? Wish they could follow each other as I move them around.
No, it is currently not possible. Could be fun to have the option, though :-). But it i snot an easy task, as the Window carrying PatchWork belongs to the host application and could be anything...
Ok, thanks for clarifying that.
Alternatively, rather than being attached, could the 3rd party GUI 'live' in the patch work gui and be visible at all times? Basically anything where we would have one window instead of two to deal with.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”