I9 10900k Update or build brand new PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am on 10900k now, with 64 GB of RAM but today i ordered 128 GB of RAM and a Samsung 990 PRO 1TB for System drive. I consider it as an update. All my Libraries are on a Samsung 980PRO nvme and a Titan 7. My question is, stick with this Update and use it few more years or Build a completely new shiny thing? RAM i need. for this Update i spent around 400$. New build will be few Grand. I also have a spare 5820k with 32GB RAM which i occasionally slave to this one. is anyone using really old PCs and work well such as before 10900k? This one works flawlessly plus my RME is FW and is stable as hell...newer systems i don't know what will be going on. I just need a nudge either way, nevermind if money is or isn't a problem but what would make sense logically, spending 400 bucks and pulling another 3-4 years or spending few grand and pulling 5-6 years for maybe the same Performance. If the other way i can cancel the order of RAM and SSD. I will also do a clean install of win 10 now, maybe i should get one of those stripped down oss?

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Sounds like you already have sufficient gear for the job. I would only consider building a brand new PC if you want to treat yourself out.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm Sounds like you already have sufficient gear for the job. I would only consider building a brand new PC if you want to treat yourself out.
Thanks. Yes, i will just stick to the update of RAM and nvme m.2.

My last question is, for Audio work, Windows 11 vs 10 vs 2019 LTC.

It is up to you. I balance the latest updates with reliability, but I usually prioritize the former.

BasariStudios wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm My last question is, for Audio work, Windows 11 vs 10 vs 2019 LTC.
Windows 11 + tweaks
viewtopic.php?p=8820694#p8820694

Yes, I would install Windows 11. Windows 10 is supported for just 1 1/2 years from now. If you want to do a fresh install, I don't think it makes much sense to install Windows 10.

Comet Lake (10th gen) was a beautiful architecture. And now you don't have to mess around with efficiency versus performance cores, not to mention the higher power consumption of the new gens. You have a totally even 10 cores in a nice package. I'd continue to use it.

Also 11th gen. One of the reasons why I opted for R7950X instead of i9-13900.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Thanks guys. I am so scared and hessitant to instal Windows 11 LOL.

BasariStudios wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:38 pm Thanks guys. I am so scared and hessitant to instal Windows 11 LOL.
You won't have any problems with Windows 11 - I'm running it on an i7-6700K with 48Gb ram and it's rock solid.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”