Has MacOS Sonoma finally fixed real time threading issues on Apple Silicon?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:12 pm :o :dog:
In that case it was on Intel and a particular chip, but Apple have no such excuse now right? :hihi: Chalk it up to growing pains I guess? You're I'm guessing active on their developer forums with this issue?

machinesworking wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:38 pm You're I'm guessing active on their developer forums with this issue?
That's totally useless as they will recommend using Audio Workgroups (which is not workable in non-Audio Unit / Core Audio host). But I'll find a way... I am really tired of MacOS these days!

Here is an update about this topic, finally!

Realtime Audio Multicore Issues for Apple Silicon: End of the Story?

In a nutshell, there is no choice but implement audio workgroups, in all plug-in formats (except maybe AAX, as Pro Tools does not seem to be impacted so far - my guess is that it is because it does not use the standard Core Audio backend that now enforces Audio Workgroups usage). It's not straightforward though, as explained in the article. :-(

:( /me tunes the accoustic guitar with a digital tuner while I read this.
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

We are currently trying to get audio workgroups running properly. When the Standalone or the Host (Logic Pro in that case) is in foreground performance is really a lot better. The proper workgroup is joined and all auxiliary thread deadlines are being met.
However when any different App is in focus performance tanks.
Profiling shows that when the Plug-In is running in the background E-Cores are preferred again for the Aux threads ...
Has anyone seen that/knows a solution for?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”