What is conventionality/novelty in electronic music?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neon SampleTank 4

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:07 pm
soundmodel wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:02 pm Okay so it's been something like 3 years that I have not found a single track that would've made me go "wow". When I was younger, it happened more often. Nowadays I think I've heard all the tricks.

How to overleap conventionality (doing the same tricks)? I had a Metasynth 5 license briefly, because I thought I'd make new music with it, but I sold it, because I wanted it to be a VST.

Also, any recent tracks that made you think it does it? Any subgenre of electronic music.
I don’t think it’s really possible. When I was a kid, getting hold of something like an Eventide H3000 was basically impossible. Now, for a few hundred dollars, it can be approximated in software. (Don’t @ me, I’ve heard comparisons and the differences were negligible, IMO) That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Now it’s trivial to get something like Other Desert Cities, or any number of exotic effects, and they can sound great. I’ve got access to great approximations to every classic synth I’ve ever wanted, plus modern ones that couldn’t have existed in the past. All of it is fairly inexpensive, and can often be rented if an initial outlay of cash is an issue.

Sure, you can do unique things with all that, but the truth is, you’re not really going to hear anything as mind blowing as it was when this type of technology was young. It’s become ubiquitous. Your only hope is to be able to write interesting music.
Yes, to being with, I think electronic music production is half engineering and half art. Most musicians only explore it as consumers of engineering. Yet some combine them.

Point being, available technology plays some part in "being able", but that does not produce great music (sometimes it does: romplers, sample banks). Yet the technology has very wide scope based on in how many ways one can use it. Even just a ring modulator has an immensely wide palette.
Last edited by soundmodel on Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regarding instruments, I forgot it. I think Mutable Instruments was very novel.

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:26 am

In instruments I think Eplex7 is the recent incarnation of novelty.
the software developer? the one who makes synths aimed at specific currently popular genres?
isnt that the opposite of novelty?

Perhaps take few steps.....or decades back. Do some creative sampling not from records but other easily available sources. Maybe sample yourself playing or banging something in the room. Get creative with reverb, delay, comps and Eq. Get super minimal and make a track only using a metal plate for example.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:51 pm Perhaps take few steps.....or decades back. Do some creative sampling not from records but other easily available sources. Maybe sample yourself playing or banging something in the room. Get creative with reverb, delay, comps and Eq. Get super minimal and make a track only using a metal plate for example.
All been done before though!
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

Yeah I just think as you get older and make more music you hear other people's music in another, perhaps jaded way and very rarely get that thrill you used to. Although the other day a song made me cry which like it's been years so that was nice. I think focusing on this novelty thing is actually a tool of your inner spider. The spider lives in your brain and wants you to stop making music so it tells you that if you were making fresh music or using a fresh tool you'd know it. When in fact you're not at all in a position to be objective about such things, being so close to your art. The spider also likes to tell you all music has gone to shit lately so why bother. Best thing is to not feed the spider and just make music, if you enjoy that. Try making brave decisions in your art and I think that's the best way to get to originality.
Last edited by mjudge55 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i hate spiders :o

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:53 pm i hate spiders :o
I do like the ones from Mars and house spiders I've learned to accept.

Bunny_boy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:58 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:51 pm Perhaps take few steps.....or decades back. Do some creative sampling not from records but other easily available sources. Maybe sample yourself playing or banging something in the room. Get creative with reverb, delay, comps and Eq. Get super minimal and make a track only using a metal plate for example.
All been done before though!
Yes, it has been done before but with different results.

One day the piano was a big invention. And one day John Cage invented a prepared piano.

People mostly create something novel from things they know. Not always but mostly they do.

Second option. Make your own tool. Absolutely novel and fresh one.

Within the scope of this thread, it will have to be the case of creating new devices to create sounds
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:27 pm Regarding instruments, I forgot it. I think Mutable Instruments was very novel.
I think the direction the music is going to nowadays is expressivity. It was lost for a few decades with electronic music but it is coming back strong with things like MPE and CLAP (where you can edit every voice of a chord the way you want). I feel some people will invent very creative way to use it.
Also a series of artist where given to you a few posts back, did you try listening to them. I believe they are quite innovative, or VERY innovative. Maybe you are listening too mainstream music?

Jac459 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 amI think the direction the music is going to nowadays is expressivity. It was lost for a few decades with electronic music but it is coming back strong with things like MPE and CLAP (where you can edit every voice of a chord the way you want). I feel some people will invent very creative way to use it.
Is it, though? I like to believe it is, but I’m wondering if we’re seeing a small but novel technology get an oversized amount of attention. Believe me, I hope it’s the beginning of a trend. I’ve got a Rise 49 that I love, and I’ll probably pick up an Osmose or Linnstrument too at some point. I just bought a Kontrol S61 for its polyphonic aftertouch. But in the grand scheme of things, I still think it’s going to be a tiny market. We need some hot shot artist like Taylor Swift or Beyoncé to use one in concert so the world takes notice.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:27 am We need some hot shot artist like Taylor Swift or Beyoncé to use one in concert so the world takes notice.
Remember when Bjork started using a Reactable table on stage? Now we all carry miniature versions of that exact device in our pockets (literally, it's a $4.99 app).

Isn't the obvious addition to bring acoustic sounds into electronic music.
- bring some acoustic or rock guitar into the soup
- acoustic drums or a grand piano etc

Everything goes in circles and in 60's it was bringing electronic stuff into music at the time that made it sound new and fresh.

Transcend genre is the general solution to more creativity. A genre will limit yourself.
- why even think in the terms of genre

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:27 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 amI think the direction the music is going to nowadays is expressivity. It was lost for a few decades with electronic music but it is coming back strong with things like MPE and CLAP (where you can edit every voice of a chord the way you want). I feel some people will invent very creative way to use it.
Is it, though? I like to believe it is, but I’m wondering if we’re seeing a small but novel technology get an oversized amount of attention. Believe me, I hope it’s the beginning of a trend. I’ve got a Rise 49 that I love, and I’ll probably pick up an Osmose or Linnstrument too at some point. I just bought a Kontrol S61 for its polyphonic aftertouch. But in the grand scheme of things, I still think it’s going to be a tiny market. We need some hot shot artist like Taylor Swift or Beyoncé to use one in concert so the world takes notice.
Well, if you take artists like Amon Tobin or even Skrillex (with simple melodies), I see a huge work on the sound and how sound evolve over time (or shall I say "after touch" when played).
So I am kind of optimistic.

After maybe not on super mainstream artists but it was never really where the most innovation were. (I think sweet spot are Portishead: reasonably successful yet at the cutting edge of innovation (imho)).

Return to “Production Techniques”