Can ANYONE help me make Blue Cat GAIN DO something (like work for once!?!)

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear Anyone.

Submitted a ticket about this, then noticed there was a forum and thought someone here might know the answer.....

So I've downloaded the gain suite because I've got a bunch of VSTs that won't accept volume control (CC7) so are stuck on full volume. And the only controller I could find anywhere that said it obeyed CC7 was Bluecat. So I've chosen the right channel (1 in this case, but it's whichever channel's got the VST that doesn't do CC7 on) chosen CC7 (but it doesn't work on MIDI Learn EITHER) and put a volume change in.

Nada. Not a thing happens. The numbers in the boxes change from 64 - which they go back to despite me having put 7 in the boxes - to 7 which tells me they've spotted the command but the knob never moves and the volume never changes!

Please, is the reason this thing's free because whoever designed it couldn't make it work either, so he just chucked it out as a random freebie? I dumped it a month after it first came out, years back, because I couldn't make it work then - but it said it had been updated so I thought I'd give it another shot. Nope - it don't work now either! Unless one of you geniuses can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I've got a very old 32-bit DAW which I love, Quick Score Elite Level 2, I've downloaded the 32-bit version of the GAIN suite from here where it's a legit. free download and the only reason I'm trying to use it is because I can't find anything else that responds to CC7 commands anywhere on the Internet. If anyone knows of anything that WORKS using CC7, PLEASE tell me and I'll dump BlueCat like a shot and use that instead. But if there IS a way to make this thing do the job it sayyes, I'd love to use it.

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Hi,

the plug-in will receive MIDI from the DAW (it does not have direct MIDI connection to the devices). I don't know how this DAW works, but you will probably have to create an extra MIDI track that carries the MIDI messages from the MIDI interface to the plug-in. If there is no such connection made, the plug-in will not receive the events.

It's receiving the info - when automation via CC7 gets sent to it, it picks up on the channel number (1 or whatever) and the CC number (7) - I can watch that happening. It just doesn't DO anything with it - the knob never moves and the volume never changes.

QSE's a bit like a primitive version of Dorico. Everything's notation. When you want to automate anything, you choose a CC channel, put the automation sticks on it (they're like little blue matchsticks!) and it sends the info. out. If the VST's got CC7 or MIDI Learn, it'll pick up on the info. fine. If it DOESN'T have MIDI Learn, it'll do nothing. I know the CC info's being transmitted fine because the VSTs and plugins with MIDI Learn all receive it fine.

Apart from yours, which receives the info. but doesn't do anything WITH it! Wish I could do a video for you - but it's finding the channel and the numbers change when it receives an automation command - they start off on 64 and change to 7 whenever a command from that channel hits it. But the knob never moves and the sound never changes.

Any ideas? Or do you have anything else, or know of anything else, that might work by receiving CC changes from a channel with notes on?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”