Windows 10 vs 11 for Music Production & Mixing (should I update)?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love change. I live for change. But it has to be for the better, change for change's sake is pointless and wasteful. That said, as I get older, I seem to embrace it less. I had my last job for 6 years, a record, and I've had my current car for 5, also a record for me. But I still buy a new laptop every year so it's not all lost. I'm actually lovin' Windows 11, it's just that little bit slicker than 10, that little bit more complete (finally).
Last edited by BONES on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

havent noticed any significant difference

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:10 am I love change. I live for change. But it has to be for the better, change for change's sake is pointless and wasteful. That siad, as I ge tolder, I seem to embrace it less. Ihadmynlast job for 6 years, a record, and I've had my current car for 5, also a record for me. But Isitll buy a ne wlaptop every year so it's not all lost. I'm actually lovin' Windows 11, it's jus tthatlittle bit slicker than 10, tha t littlle bit more complete (finally).
I've heard that Windows 11 has spacebar issues.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Looks more like a drunk post to me. :D

jamcat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 pmI've heard that Windows 11 has spacebar issues.
No, that comes from having my Seaboard Block in front of the keyboard, which makes it harder to hit the spacebar cleanly. The Seaboard is about twice the height of the keys. It definitely makes it easy to tell whether i am posting from home or work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just got a W11 laptop for some travel. Seems good so far. Bitwig installed fine. Runs pretty good without an external sound card even.

W11 seems nice. Was able to move task bar left. Might try that stardock utility bones suggested.

But overall pretty impressed with 2022 W11 laptops capabilities. I just went for a fairly vanilla Dell XPS 15. It's apparently not too far off in my performance from a fairly hefty desktop I built about five years ago now.

Got to say for most audio production needs the tech and processing has it covered these days.

Problems with the stability, eg. If you use ilok without a usb dongle.

The only thing I don't like is Edge browser (with AI) wants to chew up resources ao I go into Task Manager and put it in efficiency mode and turn off the Phone Link because I don't use it or need it.

As I type this and look at Task Manager, Edge is using a whopping 1.1% of my laptop's available CPU power and 1.5GB of my 16GB of RAM. When it's idle it uses one-tenth as much CPU. Hardly the end of the world. Of course, if it worried me, I'd simply shut the f**king thing down before I launched Studio One, then it would be using zero resources. In fact, I do that out of habit anyway. I tend not to have anything else open when I am working in Studio One (or After Effects or Blender).
skapulier wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:55 pmProblems with the stability, eg. If you use ilok without a usb dongle.
Nope, none at all. It works like a dream.

osiris wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:49 pm The only thing I don't like is Edge browser (with AI) wants to chew up resources ao I go into Task Manager and put it in efficiency mode and turn off the Phone Link because I don't use it or need it.
I used Edge Removal 2023 and no problem
https://github.com/AveYo/fox

And some Windows Tweaks
viewtopic.php?p=7624448#p7624448

I don't want to remove it. I use it for some websites like my distributor. But I don't know why I see crazy stuff like one time I look and there were 16 instances running in task manager. They weren't separate, but all running under the Edge task tree. But I get duplicate Chrome stuff also.

Yes, that's normal with the Chromium based browsers.

Chrome also has a task manager where you can see what the different Chrome tasks consume.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:10 am I love change. I live for change. But it has to be for the better, change for change's sake is pointless and wasteful. That said, as I get older, I seem to embrace it less. I had my last job for 6 years, a record, and I've had my current car for 5, also a record for me. But I still buy a new laptop every year so it's not all lost. I'm actually lovin' Windows 11, it's just that little bit slicker than 10, that little bit more complete (finally).
I agree. Wasn't that thrilled when I got my computer with Windows 11, but, some things are definitely better, like the settings for network, audio and bluetooth in the task bar, the simplifcation of most menus, more stuff in the system settings (and not simultaneously in the old control panel).

The explorer is more streamlined as well. What I don't like though: The icons for copy, paste, cut etc. Even after using them a gazillion of times, I still have to think what's the right icon to click now. Clicking on "Copy", "Paste", "Cut" etc. beats that in terms of operation by a mile.

I just shift + right-click in the explorer now, to get the old context menu, then I don't have to fiddle with those silly icons anymore.

It ha sonly been in the last couple of months that I've started using those icons. It was like a switch went off in my brain and they suddenly made sense. Weird. Mind you, I mostly still use CTRL+X/C/V, it's hard to break the habit of a lifetime.

I love the tabs in Explorer and Notepad but I still hate the near useless Win11 start menu. It tried using it for a while but it's just nowhere near as useful as Win10 so I've installed Start10 again.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”